Villains where you at!?!

14 hours ago, Skyhawke said:

Redside is nowhere near as busy at Blue, but I have noticed it's busier than I've ever seen it (on Excelsior, at least) over the past weekish. My problem is I usually build solo Villains because I like seeing the stories, so I rarely bother teaming. That's a me thing, though.

Same, even more so for Goldside. I didn't think I've ever teamed for Goldside as a native praetorian. 

I've noticed that few players are engaged Redside.

I've seen a lot of players on various servers in Mercy hanging out in the starting zone. NOBODY has responded to me when I have broadcast about starting a DFB and they are pretty well all low level.

Similarly with Rikti raids, I've tried a couple of times to get stuff going as the Rikti invade the Isles, and only a smattering of people even bother to respond.

It's weird - as though the attitude of players when they cross over is "this is the solo game now"

• Like 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

9 hours ago, A Cat said:

I didn't think I've ever teamed for Goldside as a native praetorian.

Yeah, that's rare enough. I got lucky and a bunch of us there founded a Gold origins SG* which kept us teaming.

*Origins because when we started Gold couldn't create an SG and needed a Blue or Red, but that's since changed so thanks HC! Currently still maining (slowly!) a Gold 50.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

10 hours ago, Lunar Ronin said:

The severe lack of a red side population on Homecoming compared to live is down to two things:

• The ability to create red side AT characters blue side
  • Null the Gull

Redside was always smaller.  Both the ability to switch sides (Issue 18) and create any AT on either side (Issue 21) happened on Live.  This didn't happen because redside population was thriving.   It was dying.  Population is a feedback loop.  People are more inclined to join the side where there are more people and more opportunities for teaming, which only makes the problem worse.

Putting up barriers to movement just convinces people to stick with the side that has more people and NEVER switch over, even temporarily.  The opposite needs to happen here.  It needs to be as simple to join a team running papers in Grandville as it is to join one running radios in PI.  Tell, join, travel.  No barriers.  No "you can't join because you're a hero".  No getting kicked from the team because you went to Ouro or your SG base.    Adding alignment switching to Null was easy and a small step that happened after Live. More needs to be done.

If it is, you'll have teams running redside just like you have them running blueside.  The overwhelming majority of players don't care about aesthetics or roleplay morality of heroes vs. villains.  They just wanna play.

• Like 1

I think if more people knew about the sheer, destructive joy that is Mayhem missions, there might be more folks Redside.

It's a lot more fun than clicking on/attacking a glowie, which is about all the damage you're allowed to do on Blueside!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Moose 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

3 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

It's weird - as though the attitude of players when they cross over is "this is the solo game now"

A lot of us who play on the red-side really do seem to be either solos, or static duo/trio small team players, by choice. It's been that way since the Live days, honestly. It always took twice as long to get together a SF team back on Liberty as it took to pull people into a TF, even among the Ouphs and Badgers.

And... yeah.  I'm "part of the problem", there. I spend a fair bit of time on the villain side, but exclusively solo/duo. I never join larger teams or leagues, because I feel like soloing or running with no more than one or two other people is just more fun on that side of the game world than being part of a crazy murderball. 

• Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

2 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

I think if more people knew about the sheer, destructive joy that is Mayhem missions, there might be more folks Redside.

It's a lot more fun than clicking on/attacking a glowie, which is about all the damage you're allowed to do on Blueside!

Playing a Mayhem mission is what convinced me to buy City of Villains in the first place!

This was back before they were combined so I had to purchase City of Heroes separately.

• Like 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 hour ago, Coyotedancer said:

And... yeah.  I'm "part of the problem", there. I spend a fair bit of time on the villain side, but exclusively solo/duo. I never join larger teams or leagues, because I feel like soloing or running with no more than one or two other people is just more fun on that side of the game world than being part of a crazy murderball. 

Well it's not a problem for you.

I've always been a firm advocate for playing your game the way you want to so I won't criticise you for that. I don't have enough data to say whether or not your perspective is unique, but it seems like it may be quite common.

I do know from many attempts that it's almost impossible to get a regular team formed goldside - which is a shame because there is some seriously great teamworthy content on both sides.

I wonder if it's not worth the Devs offering some form of incentive to encourage play on less well supported sides, but what that form might take I don't know because I do not know what is technically possible.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I have my red side main Bonemarrow who is quite strong for being a dark / dark blaster so we are here it's just unfortunately more people are in Atlas Park in general so I'm usually more on a blue side toon just for the social stuff. I honestly think it's because Mercy Island doesn't look as cool as Atlas Park plus Atlas Park has better music.

Edited by Snowbunny
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 10:36 AM, cranebump said:

You know...Torch is still searching for an identity. 

Unofficial bad guys & (misunderstood) douche bag server, anyone?:-)

Sorry to disappoint you, but Everlasting has always been The Redside Server.

1 hour ago, Blackmoor said:

Sorry to disappoint you, but Everlasting has always been The Redside Server.

Well…maybe we can do it…I dunno…dirtier?

• Microphone 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

16 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

When is the last time you ran a Mayhem mission?

Just wondering since you are promoting it.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

16 hours ago, Gdead909 said:

so is there a way to fix this?

Fix what?

People play the way that they like to play.

Most people are going to play heroes.

Some vigilantes may be willing to join up with villains.

With a lot of new players joining, there are going to be a good number of them that don't know that they can go to Null the Gull in the Pocket D and change their character's alignment whenever they want.

Personally, I pick my character's alignment based on characters conception ... that being said, I don't have any "villains". All my "villainous" characters are "rogue" alignment.

I have characters on all the servers, but the only "rogue" alignment characters I have are on Torchbearer and Everlasting.

Honestly, I simply don't see many "villains" recruiting for teams on either of those two servers.

Just be happy that the "red" side gets more traffic than the "gold" side.

They don't even bother listing "gold" side - non-hero/villain-aligned characters on the server status listing.

Players Online - (Heroes + Villains) - (characters in character creation? or in the tutorial that allows you to pick alignment at the end?) = Gold-side population?

It is in the middle of the night for players in the Americas. There are 25 villains or more still playing on every server.

The way the game has been, it is a good guess that 1/2 of them are 50s. 

I don't know the % of 50's that are farmers only.

So it is always down to if you are looking for leveling content or end-game content.

That being said, you don't always have a better chance of getting on a team if you are level 50 than you do when you are leveling.

Are more villains likely to solo in general?

That's part of the equation as well.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

When is the last time you ran a Mayhem mission?

A few months back, when I had a character in dire need of a Patron Pool power. While redside, you might as well grab the Invader Badge accolade (+5% HP, equivalent to the more onerous heroic Task Force Commander) by sucking up to Lord Schnauser* and doing all the Mayhems!

That said, I'm no fan of running into the Mayhems, grabbing the explore badge, and bailing. Blow some stuff up, dammit! Kids these days...

But, always glad to team up with Torch residents who want to join, send me a global tell (you can guess my handle).

* OK, Schweitzer. Spoilsport!

• Like 2
  • Banjo 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Red side Best side!

Ahem.

Now that that is out of my system... 😄

Red side has always had lower numbers even way back when it first went live. There may have been peaks ever now and then, but overall, Redside is lower. Which is a shame because the writing is so much better on Redside.

If you want to be one of the norms, one of the crowd, and tag along, go Blueside.

If you want good writing, go Red side.

If you want to mess around with morality, go Gold side.

Goldside - Tell me who's right and wrong over there. Most people are lazy and can't be bothered picking a side. Even through the writing is excellent and who you think you can trust may not be the case.

Redside - You build your way up to power to rival that of States/Recluse, and have fun on the way. Where else could you take down clones, pit Arbiters against each other, BEEEEES, pretend to be a good guy while working for your own causes, and Mayhem Missions.

Blueside - Teaming, bright designs

When it came out CoH was meant to be played as a team. Yes you can solo, but its funner as a team.

Look at CoV and the archetypes that rolled out with it... they are basically suited for duo or solo. They team for convenience. 

On 1/9/2024 at 11:25 PM, Gdead909 said:

we need to pump these villains numbers up. BTW it still throws me for a loop that i can be a villain tanker

Best thing that ever happened to my SS/INV Brute from live was getting rerolled as an INV/SS Tanker here.

5 hours ago, SteelRaines said:

Goldside - Tell me who's right and wrong over there. Most people are lazy and can't be bothered picking a side. Even through the writing is excellent and who you think you can trust may not be the case.

The writing Gold side is really great. I took a character as a Loyalist all the way through until the end. I got marked as Resistance just because 

Spoiler

I couldn't go through with killing Inspector Kang. When you change your characters whole ideology over one choice, that's good writing. 

Edited by Skyhawke
  • Like 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

5 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

A few months back, when I had a character in dire need of a Patron Pool power. While redside, you might as well grab the Invader Badge accolade (+5% HP, equivalent to the more onerous heroic Task Force Commander) by sucking up to Lord Schnauser* and doing all the Mayhems!

That said, I'm no fan of running into the Mayhems, grabbing the explore badge, and bailing. Blow some stuff up, dammit! Kids these days...

But, always glad to team up with Torch residents who want to join, send me a global tell (you can guess my handle).

* OK, Schweitzer. Spoilsport!

I tend to run all my chars thru to get Invader and tend to blow up everything during the Founder's Falls mission if my anchor is capable.

Tip: If you use Ion Judgement, target off an object so that pedestrians don't run off before the big zap

7 hours ago, Skyhawke said:

The writing Gold side is really great. I took a character as a Loyalist all the way through until the end. I got marked as Resistance just because 

Hide contents

I couldn't go through with killing Inspector Kang. When you change your characters whole ideology over one choice, that's good writing. 

Same fam that was my first Goldsider. I was going with the character concept of naively following the establishment as my first Goldside run. 

Running a level 14 Widow "Yastenna" through story content over on Everlasting. Feel free to reach out so long as you're okay with someone who isn't in much of a hurry.

My feelings on CoV just get increasingly mixed as I've gone through. From an interaction and layout perspective, the zone design is such a breath of fresh air from Paragon's samey grid streets and concrete pillar buildings. Each zone has a huge degree of hostile arrangement that rewards travel powers and makes navigating to destinations much more interesting. Super jump and the weaker freebie travel powers like ninja run have always been a favorite of mine, and CoV's zones reward my love of platforming mightily.

But then that same zone design has most of its individuality smothered out of it with the three layers of brown grime applied uniformly across every corner and then the Arachnos iconography smeared atop even that. It's like the fatigue I get of colossal hero statues in Paragon made worse by them all being of the same guy.

It's mixed bags all the way down like that thusfar. So in one sense I'm really glad to have a chance to come back to this now that my media literacy is much higher than back when it was Live. I'm much more interested in picking apart what's working and what isn't and why.

I'll have to do a proper writeup sometime analyzing my experiences, because even some of its weaker elements often stem from the devs clearly committing to unconventional artistic choices and a dedication to make something completely fresh for their players.

• Like 2

I understand the grime complaint, but don't share it because of that wonderful zone variation and ease of travel (to this day I still can't recall which p[art of the blue side map Boomtown branches off from).  Plus the grime is a nice contrast against the pastels and weightless glass of much of blue side.  And like larger American cities, blue side is very not on a human scale, skyscrapers, those sky highways in skyway... older areas are still more on a human scale, a place where you can see the sky and find the horizon without too much effort, not like looking up from the bottom of as gorge.  Red side could use a good Perez Park though, Echo Astoria kind of area, the best it has is what, Nerva?

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Happy to say that Mercy Island was packed when I was on earlier! Villains everywhere!

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior