Copyright infringement

Honestly, I get more, I don't know if annoyed is the right word, but anyway, that, when I see clones of Statesman and so on wandering around.  Now, if there were some magical mechanic in the game that spotted these and the PPD/Arachnos/Powers Division/Longbow/Whoever kept following the character around and hassling them in every mission, so much so that HEATs are saying that seems excessive...LOL.

Anyway.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

4 hours ago, BlakeTheDrake said:

Don't really wanna get into the... debate, I just checked in here because I wasn't really sure what the actual consensus WAS on this stuff. I've seen dozens of rather unoriginal characters around the place too, but here's the thing... I basically never see them TWICE. Sure, making Spiderman or Saitama or Wolverine or whatever can be fun, but that fun wears off rather quickly. The characters that people wind up STICKING with, and playing for the long haul, tend to be either A) Creative concepts or B) Mechanically optimized powersets with a generic superhero/villain skin slapped on. I shan't pass judgement on which approach is better - what matters is that those are the characters people enjoy playing for the long haul.

Not sure if that changes anything from a legal standpoint, but from an emotional perspective, it's worth remembering that we aren't REALLY being overrun with endless copycats. Hanging around the high-level zones or running high-end TFs, you'll see few if any.

I would suggest that is less because people tire of them and more because the longer those characters last, the higher their chance of getting generic'd gets (ie the GMs are doing their thing).

• Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, ZacKing said:

Please dismount your high horse.

coming from you. that is a joke.

Good day.

• Thumbs Down 4

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• Game Master
3 hours ago, TheZag said:

Perhaps the GM that said dont report too often meant dont become the costume police and go out of your way to find people to report.

In fairness, if someone is reported for having a comic accurate costume then I'm happy to take a look. We've had endless green lanterns, Homelanders, Deadpools etc that the name is fine but the costume is amazing!! And I do feel quite guilty hitting the big shiny button on it knowing how much work they put in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

In fairness, if someone is reported for having a comic accurate costume then I'm happy to take a look. We've had endless green lanterns, Homelanders, Deadpools etc that the name is fine but the costume is amazing!! And I do feel quite guilty hitting the big shiny button on it knowing how much work they put in.

My main had a Supergirl costume for Halloween. I put the letter B on the chest and kept my character's hair the same so that it was obviously a costume. After Halloween I adapted the costume to my colors and changed a few details so I could wear it as a costume. Infringement need not go to waste. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've seen a few new players with the help me above their head and amazing outfits based on copyrighted characters, a lot of the time a simple message saying that it's a cool costume but against the ToS lets them know in a gentle way I find, I know I would rather be told be a fellow player then hit with the generic hammer if I didn't know ❤️

- Lauci x

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Game Master
6 hours ago, Laucianna said:

I've seen a few new players with the help me above their head and amazing outfits based on copyrighted characters, a lot of the time a simple message saying that it's a cool costume but against the ToS lets them know in a gentle way I find, I know I would rather be told be a fellow player then hit with the generic hammer if I didn't know ❤️

- Lauci x

You spoil all my fun!! 😛 

But yes, if you see a new player who looks amazing then please tell them they are breaking the ToS if you feel confident in doing so. You have no obligation to do so, all reports are confidential.

Edited by GM Crumpet
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Laucianna said:

- Lauci x

this does seem a kinder approach than my idea: copyrighted alts are subject to in-zone PvP without notice

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, JasperStone said:

Since the copyright has expired...surprised we have not seen more version Winnie the Pooh or Mickey Mouse

Before folks go crazy with these, only very specific versions have had their copyright expire - the Winnie the Pooh from the books (If you make one with a red shirt, you are still in violation of Disney's copyright on their version), and the Steamboat Willie Mickey & Minnie. Using any other variation is still a violation.

• Thanks 3

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

1 hour ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

Before folks go crazy with these, only very specific versions have had their copyright expire - the Winnie the Pooh from the books (If you make one with a red shirt, you are still in violation of Disney's copyright on their version), and the Steamboat Willie Mickey & Minnie. Using any other variation is still a violation.

Also, legally speaking, ignorance of the law is no excuse from it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

On 1/31/2024 at 4:51 PM, GM Crumpet said:

The Tick but is pink and called The Flea would be fine, as it would fit under the rule. Something that looks like the Tick and is called THE T!CK wouldn't be. Same as the Hulk. It's a massive green character with tattered shorts. Make him Blue and called The Bulk and I wouldn't look twice.

What about a yellow spandex clad balding guy with a handlebar mustache named Bulk Rogan.   Asking for a friend.  😜

• Haha 2

On 1/31/2024 at 3:51 PM, GM Crumpet said:

There is no such thing as too much. See something you think is a breach of the code of conduct, report away. I do most of the generics (sorry) and am never too busy to look into reports. It might be the character works under the parody/tribute rule. Something that looks like The Tick but is pink and called The Flea would be fine, as it would fit under the rule. Something that looks like the Tick and is called THE T!CK wouldn't be. Same as the Hulk. It's a massive green character with tattered shorts. Make him Blue and called The Bulk and I wouldn't look twice.

If you do get hit with a generic and you feel it was in error (I do mess up sometimes) please feel free to reply to the ticket you get and explain why you think it was in error. "I've played this character since live and nobody has ever complained" isn't a good reason. "I named this character because of X <insert link>" is much more likely to succeed. I can also accidentally hit the wrong button and generic a name when I only meant to hit a bio. In that case I'll happily apologise and let you rename the character back. If I mess up I will always apologise.

Final arbiters will be the lead GM's. If you wish to appeal the decision then you just need to ask explaining your reasons. The lead GM's decision is final, but they will come to a consensus and even take it to Cipher if they feel it's that close to the line.

Dude somehow this post needs to be made permanent or a link to it in IP infringement section of the rules. I'm new, month in, and in my first post people had me so worried about the IP infringement thing that I was frantically looking up info, and it's vague at best and some folks here want so dearly to protect the thing they love that they inadvertently become a little overzealous on the subject. And that could scare some new people off. But this explanation is perfect! It's very easy to pay homage to your favorite hero without duplicating them; and, as GM Crumpet points out, the rule is very forgiving.

BTW, where is the "tattered shorts?!" I looked everywhere for them. My "Hulk" (not Hulk) currently looks like a very big surfer.

Edited by WuTang
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Game Master
4 minutes ago, WuTang said:

Dude somehow this post needs to be made permanent or a link to it in IP infringement section of the rules. I'm new, month in, and in my first post people had me so worried about the IP infringement thing that I was frantically looking up info, and it's vague at best and some folks here want so dearly to protect the thing they love that they inadvertently become a little overzealous on the subject. And that could scare some new people off. But this explanation is perfect! It's very easy to pay homage to your favorite hero without duplicating them; and, as GM Crumpet points out, the rule is very forgiving.

BTW, where is the "tattered shots?!" I looked everywhere for them. My "Hulk" (not Hulk) currently looks like a very big surfer.

Any of the GM's will be more than happy to discuss concepts and idea with you on Discord. We aren't monsters. You can always DM me with a costume or name and go "Is this OK?" and I'll give you my honest opinion. As many long time players will tell you, I'm not overly diplomatic.  But I'm reasonable 🙂 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WuTang said:

BTW, where is the "tattered shorts?!" I looked everywhere for them. My "Hulk" (not Hulk) currently looks like a very big surfer.

I do not believe there are tattered shorts, just tattered pants.

• Thanks 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.