Do you ever get choice paralysis looking at your character list?

I know many of us suffer from altitis, and 1,000 slots is a lot of characters.  What about the times when you don't have any creative ideas for new characters and just want to play, but you have 30+ level 50 characters to choose from and maybe another 15 or so in-progress.  How do you decide who you want to take to the streets with when there's so many options?  Sometimes I scroll through my list and wonder who I should bring out sometimes, like trying to decide what other game to play when i'm not playing CoX.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Not me. I only play one character.

....at a time. I play it until I'm sick of it, then I make a new one. And only play that one again.

My simple solution: I grab my trusty box of "geometrically structured polyhedral numeric randomizers".

Ok, yeah, my old D&D dice.

Roll two 10 siders, the first one selects the page of toons, the second one selects the specific toon on that page.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Nine times out of ten I have some current guy I'm leveling that I can't wait to get back to, to see how they blossom.  For example, my current is a Dom, who was beautiful to see bloom; then I took the (for me) unprecedented step of actually slotting a few purples in because her theme just called out for it, so now I'm running about with her just to see her do her thing so well.  But, once 50, my eyes do start wandering.  Currently trying to work up a build for a blaster but it's not come together yet.

I have some that get dropped at 50 and hardly ever touched again because by then I realized that they just weren't all that fun to play (both Kins and Illusion are sets I find too hands off, for example).

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

not recently had an issue with this largely because I've relocated to Indom and I've had fewer characters there - even after transferring some from other shards.

Mostly I am guided by the emotional connection that I have to a character once it's got to 50. My typical MO is to roll a toon, run it to 50, get it at least partially slotted and incarnated then see how I feel about it. Some characters have a far bigger impact on me than others and they will be at the top of my shard list ready for the next level 50 content. Then those I'm working on in various stages usually in some semblance of level order and 50s that are very unlikely to get much attention at the back.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

11 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

How do you decide who you want to take to the streets with when there's so many options?

Who do I feel like playing at the time.

Do I have an itch for a certain kind of playstyle, archetype, or power set(s) ... hey, what server am I going to play on...

Do I see a character that I haven't actually played for a long time.

Am I just logging characters because of how long they haven't zoned into the game ... okay ... really because I market on pretty much all of them and I need to flip stock.

I'm I trying to find a character for certain content that someone is recruiting for (because, you know, I'm in the middle of marketing but I do want to team up)? What might they be missing on the team (more relevant once the new page launches).

11 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

Sometimes I scroll through my list and wonder who I should bring out sometimes, like trying to decide what other game to play when i'm not playing CoX.

I find Card Hunter to be a good change of pace. F2P with some purchases if you want, but not really necessary to enjoy the basic party to enemy or party to enemy player content. You pick three characters, gear them up (your gear picks put related cards in your card deck for each character), and go into dungeons or or duel other players.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/293260/Card_Hunter/

This is not a paid endorsement of this product nor do I gain influence in City of Heroes by promoting the product ( ...or any actual real world money ...)

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Rarely.

Worst case, I roll the mouse wheel and pick someone from a page that it ends up on.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.