The MacGyver Manual, or "You used X to make Y?!?"

Raevyn_Darke

• Community Rep

That's cool, QueenBethari! I admit to never having thought to put Greek letters on anything...as if I could, lol. 🙂

I decided that, with all the new pieces, there must be a way to make a better microwave! So here's my take::

screenshot_191017-17-32-05.thumb.jpg.180c0430f9a4f9a12098e375eb4d08a5.jpg

Used black hyphens for screen, the very versatile portal corp keyboard (back) for the edges (sometimes at a slight angle), the vault keycard reader for the pad, and a tinted chemical container for the display window, and a desk lamp for the handle.

Also did a piano:

screenshot_191017-17-38-01.thumb.jpg.e77f48fc474f446e71db943a4efe6c06.jpg

I really wanted to make a bench to sit on, but, the alphabet characters come with an unseen "wall", which interferes with being able to sit where you should be able to sit, so I had to drop that. Also, it's at an angle, which I should have thought of; this makes base shift worse and somewhat unpredictable when doing things that are supposed to be lined up. That last black key on the left just will NOT line up. But I'll take it, as the others did, tho I had to expand the keyboard from what I'd originally done, because the editor wouldn't place keys closer than this with still space between them.

Also had to use an arrow to allow for someone to sit on the chair, due to the aforementioned invisible wall. The pedals were probably the fussiest bit, because small pieces, when you put them together, the least amount of movement messes it up, and I wanted it to have the outer pedals curving outwards, like on a real piano.

Thanks so  much, @Calamity Cain, for posting that info! 🙂 It's great how we learn from each other.

-Dacy

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later

So my side project right now is building my main's house. He lives in Salamanca Village, and is 100% the kind of guy whose way of dealing with that includes nailing a horseshoe above his door... which is an item we don't have. But!

unknown.png

Would you look at that, the desk scale from the Science/Medical tab, tilted up nearly vertical and sunk into the wall so only the edge shows, does a fine job!

• Like 6

Character portrait artist for hire, PM for details!

Commissions: Closed, Sorry

• 4 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later
  • 3 weeks later

This isn't anything that fancy, but I thought I'd share. For awhile I couldn't figure out how to make something similar to gold bars for my vault, until now.

Banker's lamps have the right color and approximate size.

GoldBars.png

• Like 11

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

• 3 weeks later

New simple fridge design:

image.png.e683e1ed2a6bb45e05d6deab6397f5fc.png

Freezer (top) - Short white counter

Refrigerator (bottom) - three white wall cabinets, 'stacked' to equal the same overall depth as the counter

Handles - Photo 2 and Photo 7 from the Wall Details tab, sunk in so only the edge sticks out.

• Like 3

Okay, I've seen a lot of big fancy fireplaces and there's a gazillion ways to make them but I haven't found a lot of ways to make small, simple fireplaces. However, an idea struck me today, I tested it out, and it works great, so:

unknown.png

1) Chimney, on its side and sunk into the wall
2) Two Roman door frames, back to back to form the mantel and side columns
3) One small cement plate to cover the back wall
4) Brick wall corner to form chimney going up
5) Firepit (unlit) attached to Surface on the back wall of the fireplace, rotated and sunk down slightly, so the logs fit inside
6) The fire itself is one floor torch to provide actual light, and one "torch flame" effect emitter to increase apparent flame size without increasing brightness - I also found that the torch flame emitters, if turned upside down, emit the embers/sparks downward instead of upward so I did that too in order to avoid embers popping out of the fireplace

Below is a 'cutaway' screenshot with the camera angled so you can see what's below the floor, for a better visual on how the logs are placed:

image.png.551b49d4beb0088995589d66baa33c9e.png

• Like 4

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for a pagoda type roof?  I have an all ninja themed SG that I long neglected that I have recently picked up on again.   I can get the building done easy - it is that curved pagoda roof that is frustrating me.  I tried doing a combo with the chalet roofs and roman awnings, but it does not look right. 

Any suggestions?

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Community Rep

The main problem is, we have no shapes at all that dovetail like a roof side needs to. Nothing really triangular or trapezoidal...except the roofs already part of a building.

One thing I noticed about the top building: the roofline really isn't much different than ours. The same basic look could be achieved by putting on a raised snub triangle on the corner, so the line of the roof goes up at the end. It would have to be the corner of something solid and square, or made to look like that, preferably with rounded edges, not super sharp edges. The rest of the apparent bow to the roof comes from what's under it, and how those materials are positioned relative to the roofline.

You'll have to try to smoothly blend same type materials to form the lines of the trapezoid, which means you're going to have a real problem with flicker. Slight angles as they intersect will help with that.

And that's about all I've got at this point. If I stumble across something that makes a better roof, I'll tell you. Myself, I had to cobble together some things to make a tech style roof of a castle turret; I've been thru all the materials (except didn't really look at the stone), and there's not much that will make a good roof that can be blended to make a four sided rooftop.

(here's a shot of the roofs I put together)

screenshot_200114-14-30-28.thumb.jpg.0856c349460f431b0ac9c3815187fc5a.jpg

-Dacy

1 hour ago, Dacy said:

How big of a pagoda roof were you wanting to build, @ShardWarrior?

-Dacy

I have not really decided yet.  I was not looking to do anything crazy as this is just for a personal alt SG of mine.  The theme is very simple.  I will post some shots of it when I figure out what to do.

2 hours ago, MyriVerse said:

They're not perfect, but Bitters used stone stairs for her Japanese Garden here:

https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13061.40

This was back in ParagonChat, but we have more options here. Maybe lots of the Roman tiled roofs in different angles.

Hmmm... I had not thought about using staircases.  That might work well enough - I will give that a try and see.

Thanks @Dacy and @MyriVerse!

• 2 weeks later

Ok so after much futzing and experimenting I think I figured out a way to work with the roman awnings.  It is not perfect, but I think it will work. 

This is for (one of) my personal SG projects; The Dojo of the Crimson Dragon.  Concept it is a temple nestled in the woods next to a mountain lake.

Not all finished yet, but here are few progress shots -

spacer.png

For the transport hub, I built a dock on the lake and used rowboats.

spacer.png

The workshop will be an outdoor forge

spacer.png

Will post some more photos when I have it done.

• Like 5