City Mod Installer (Released)

Not beta or prerelease - just the top choice: Homecoming. Don't know where to find "Show debug console" please be more exact. Wait for game to fully load the scroll all the way back to the top of the console window? You mean log in with my character and go to "menu"? what is the link to "Corrupted Mod..."?

• City Council
Just now, CJStevens17 said:

Not beta or prerelease - just the top choice: Homecoming. Don't know where to find "Show debug console" please be more exact. Wait for game to fully load the scroll all the way back to the top of the console window? You mean log in with my character and go to "menu"? what is the link to "Corrupted Mod..."?

"Corrupted Mod" is in the list of installable mods on the tool, either by selecting "Other" from the dropdown, or finding the "C" section in the All list.

image.png.ff3d92bcee8c8c87b8b671b629c2588a.png

Check that, start the game, you'll see a 2nd window with debug output, once the game has fully loaded, and you're at the login screen (no need to login) scroll all the way to the top of the debug console, and screenshot the entire window as I did in my example in the last post.

• City Council

"Then gone"? The console window should stay open until you close the game... The text will scroll by quickly until the game is loaded, then you can scroll it back to the top, if that's not the case then more than loading mods is broken.

• City Council

Ok, so that means the game IS loading the mod piggs out of the assets directory as it should.  Remove the corrupted mod, make sure Vidiots (and only vidiots) is installed, launch HC, go to Atlas park, and snip what your map looks like, and post it here like the above screenshot.

Edited by Michiyo

Now I get the Fatal Error when I try to start it up. only the vidiotmaps in mods folder. Maybe I should just forget about this. I really wanted the maps but this is a lot of work for you...which I very much appreciate. Now I just need to know how to log in and make this error go away.

Screenshot 2022-10-22 233604.png

Edited by CJStevens17

• City Council

The fact that you are randomly getting these errors is very odd, are you always launching the game the same exact way every time?  Intermittent problems like this generally imply *something* is different sometimes.  As for the crash above that implies that the archive downloaded is incomplete, either due to something breaking the download partially which could be something like AV/Firewall, or a spotty connection.

Does use of City Modder disable the use of the old data folder method or does it work in parallel with the data folder? I create personal pop menus for my own use that I don't have any desire to publish publicly. Will I still be able to do that without officially publishing them and packaging them through City Modder?

56 minutes ago, JAMMan0000 said:

Does use of City Modder disable the use of the old data folder method or does it work in parallel with the data folder? I create personal pop menus for my own use that I don't have any desire to publish publicly. Will I still be able to do that without officially publishing them and packaging them through City Modder?

Have your popmenus been working in HC? I too wrote custom ones on live and I've spent HOURS today trying to troubleshoot why they won't load. I even switched from Tequila to HC Launcher and so far still nothing. So here I am about to try this next.

I logged in this morning, after two years all my vidiot map icons are gone.  I searched and found this in the forum and loaded , got it to run without errors and installed the mod through the interface but still no vidiot maps =(

Oh just just Atlas I am told because of the event.  I checked other zones now and they are fine I am SO relieved ❤️ 

Edited by Rahabina

6 hours ago, JAMMan0000 said:

Does use of City Modder disable the use of the old data folder method or does it work in parallel with the data folder?

City Mod Installer works in parallel with the data folder. The game pulls data from the data folder last, so mods in the data folder should always appear in-game. I also have several custom (unpublished) menus I use and install via the data folder that work just fine, so any unique/custom mods that you have should work fine if loaded from the data folder.

This next bit goes beyond the scope of your question, but the data folder only becomes an issue when you have the same mod installed in both the data folder and in the assets folder (which is where City Mod Installer places them). The version in the data folder will override the version that City Mod Installer installs. So if you have an outdated version of a mod in the data folder, and try to install a new version of that mod via City Mod Installer, the outdated version is what will appear in the game. You'll need to be careful to clear out old versions of mods from the data folder if you want the new versions from City Mod Installer to work properly.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Rahabina said:

Oh just just Atlas I am told because of the event.

The vidiotmaps for Atlas were adjusted to account for the seasonal events. If you loaded vidiotmaps via City Mod Installer and are seeing the stock Atlas Park map but proper vidiotmaps in all other zones, then you likely have an old vidiotmaps install in your data folder that needs to be removed in order for the new version of vidiotmaps to load properly. Go to the top post of the vidiotmaps thread and look for the section titled Removing/Deleting Old Installations for instructions on how to remove the old vidiotmaps install.

2 hours ago, CJStevens17 said:

Still wondering why the maps won't work.

Have you checked other zones besides Atlas Park?

• City Council

I just pushed an update that will hopefully help track this down.  It will check for existing data overrides in the directory it is pointed to, and show a warning in the log box about this. IT WILL NOT automatically remove, rename, or otherwise attempt to resolve this for you.  It is your responsibility to go to the indicated folder, and remove any conflicting files.

I also added a check for a valid city install, as some folks have been pointing the tool at either a subfolder, or just not the right folder.

Finally, I added an option under "Tools" "Upload Support Bundle" this will prompt you for your forums username (so I can associate a bundle with a user), which will contain some basic info about the folder you've told the installer is your City of Heroes install.  It will check permissions on subfolders, it will check the launch params for the correct assetpath, it will check the data folder for overrides.  I hope this will help in debugging these odd issues.

Edited by Michiyo
  • Thanks 1

• City Council
3 hours ago, CJStevens17 said:

Update: I added two other mods: cursor and font and they both worked. Still wondering why the maps won't work.

Could I please get you to use the new "Upload Support Bundle" option so that I can take a look at what might be causing this?

Hmm, I think there is an issue with the City Mod Installer or Vidiot maps.

I did have a legacy Vidiot install, which removed as per the instructions on the Vidiot thread.

I then attempted an install using City Mod Installer, which although reported successful, didn't work.

I then noted several conflicts as highlighted by City Mod Installer (these were pop menus), so cleared out the /Data folder completely.

I then tried another install of Vidiot maps via City Mod Installer, which again reported successful, but wasn't. 

I've checked more zones than just Atlas.

I've uploaded logs via the Upload Support Bundle function (feedback - this could use a confirmation of success notification).

Thank you for your work. 🙂