City Mod Installer (Released)

• City Council
3 minutes ago, Blood Speaker said:

Question: I had several mods installed via CoHModder when it became defunct. They don't appear as "installed" in the new tool. They do still work without issue. Any idea of how they will interact with any new mods I attempt to install over them, if there's any conflict (for example, I have sound mods previously installed for both Beam Rifle and Sonic Blast)?

Right, my tool won't show your installed mods from CoHModder as they use very different formats for mods (and storing installed mods).  The recommendation is to move/rename the existing "data" folder from your Homecoming install, to avoid conflicts between mods on my tool, and CoHModder. And reinstall those mods via this tool, all of the mods except one that the original author requested to be removed should be available to install.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Michiyo said:

Right, my tool won't show your installed mods from CoHModder as they use very different formats for mods (and storing installed mods).  The recommendation is to move/rename the existing "data" folder from your Homecoming install, to avoid conflicts between mods on my tool, and CoHModder. And reinstall those mods via this tool, all of the mods except one that the original author requested to be removed should be available to install.

The new mods tool doesn't work for me. Had to put my old data folder back where it was. Installing things with the new folder doesn't seem to actually update the files, beyond putting an empty data folder where the functional one was.

• City Council
6 hours ago, Blood Speaker said:

The new mods tool doesn't work for me. Had to put my old data folder back where it was. Installing things with the new folder doesn't seem to actually update the files, beyond putting an empty data folder where the functional one was.

Did you follow the instructions in the first post for adding the correct flags to your launcher?  Either by clicking "Add to Launcher" then selecting whichever launcher you use, or by manually adding

-assetpath assets\mods

to your custom launch parameters as covered in this post:

Edited by Michiyo
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, captainstar said:

What was the last vidiotmaps available in CoH modder?

There is an update log in the top post of the vidiotmaps thread. The version of vidiotmaps available in the City Mod Installer is (slightly) newer than the last one available in CoH modder.

• Thanks 1

I need help. I posted this on another thread and it was suggested I post it here:

On 10/19/2022 at 5:13 PM, GoldenOldie said:

This is a little daunting for a noob like me: I'm a 72-yo senior lady having a ball with CoH. It would be great to have a VidiotMap Install instructions for Dummies (Idiots, lol)....lots of tech words above my pay grade. If so, thanks!!!

The easiest installation method is to use the City Mod Installer. It will handle the install with a few button presses and it's the method I strongly recommend.

Well, it turned out to not be easy at all so that's why I'm here. I downloaded the CityModInstaller.zip and extracted it. It seems the exe file is being rejected by my computer as a suspicious file so the only thing I have is two folders: x64 and x86 but no CoHModdingTool.exe file. So now what?

I figured out how to get the exe file and now I get this with nothing filled in like the example. What am I missing?

Screenshot 2022-10-20 185439.png

21 minutes ago, GoldenOldie said:

I figured out how to get the exe file and now I get this with nothing filled in like the example. What am I missing?

Based on your screenshot, it looks like you've typed an 'A' in the category selection box, and since that is not a valid category, no mods are appearing. Click the down arrow on the right side of the category selection box and select one of the categories within, and the mods that fit that category should appear. If you are after vidiotmaps, the category will be 'MAPS'.

• Thumbs Up 1

• City Council

So, while you can type into the drop down (I'll see about not letting that happen) you can't actually set it to an invalid option that way.  It appears that something is not letting the program talk to the web service that gives it data.  You mentioned something was deleting the actual program, so I assume you have some security software that may also be blocking it from talking to my server.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

Based on your screenshot, it looks like you've typed an 'A' in the category selection box, and since that is not a valid category, no mods are appearing. Click the down arrow on the right side of the category selection box and select one of the categories within, and the mods that fit that category should appear. If you are after vidiotmaps, the category will be 'MAPS'.

That worked!!! In the install box it says:

Opening database connection
Checking for updates
gamePath: C:\Games\Homecoming
Creating assets\mods
Attempting to download file: hc_vidiotmaps.pigg
Added the mod asset path to your HC Launcher!

Do I have to do anything else for the new maps to show up ?- the same old maps are what's showing.

Edited by GoldenOldie

1 hour ago, Michiyo said:

I am unable to cause an invalid category entry by simply typing into the dropdown, I'm curious how that even happened.  Glad you got it working, and no you shouldn't need to do anything else.

Unfortunately, it's not working.  The maps are still the old ones. do I have to put map files that I see in this thread into the directory?

Edited by GoldenOldie

• City Council

No, the installer does that for you, curiously in your first screenshot I see the line:

Creating assets\mods

And it is also in the log output you pasted above.. it should only ever print that the first time you use the installer.  Also oddly the "Added the mod asset path to your HC Launcher!" line is in both as well, which should only ever show up the first time you use that option.  Open your HC Launcher, click the "Screenshots" button, go up one directory, go into the "assets" directory, and verify you have a "mods" directory in there, if so open it and confirm you have "hc_vidiotmaps.pigg" in there.   If all of that checks out, go back into the HCLauncher, click the gear icon top right, click "Homecoming", and make sure you have

-assetpath assets\mods

in the launch parameters box.

28 minutes ago, Michiyo said:

No, the installer does that for you, curiously in your first screenshot I see the line:

Creating assets\mods

And it is also in the log output you pasted above.. it should only ever print that the first time you use the installer.  Also oddly the "Added the mod asset path to your HC Launcher!" line is in both as well, which should only ever show up the first time you use that option.  Open your HC Launcher, click the "Screenshots" button, go up one directory, go into the "assets" directory, and verify you have a "mods" directory in there, if so open it and confirm you have "hc_vidiotmaps.pigg" in there.   If all of that checks out, go back into the HCLauncher, click the gear icon top right, click "Homecoming", and make sure you have

-assetpath assets\mods

in the launch parameters box.

• City Council
Just now, GoldenOldie said:

There is no "mods" directory in the assets directory.

Can you then confirm that the path in the address bar is "C:\Games\Homecoming"?  If so then *something* is not allowing the tool to write to the files in there like it should.

• City Council

So that's the issue then... your game is installed into your documents folder, which... it shouldn't be but ok, but you're pointing the mod installer to "C:\games\homecoming".

In the mod installer, uninstall any installed mods by selecting them in the bottom list, clicking uninstall for all of them.

Then you need to go into settings in the mod installer, click the folder icon, then go select the "Homecoming" folder in your Documents/games/cityofhero/ folder.  Then close/relaunch the installer, and try again.  You'll also want to re-do the Add to launcher -> HC Launcher option,