GM defeat protocol

So...this isn't really the end of the world. But, I know this happens to people quite a bit. 

I was on my character "Massive Man". Fun character to play. Even have some short jokes in a few macros, because I used some prismatics for the mini-me costume. I'm in Ouro, trying to decide if I want to do some McIntyre missions, or some Maxwell Christopher. I see the event message about Kraken in Perez. I immediately use my LRTP and I'm in Perez. It took me all of 15 seconds to find him. 

But...I'm level 43. I know from experience, I don't want to be exemplared if I'm 50, just give me or another 50 the star, or pick one of my missions. (if I have one. At 50, I tend not to have any missions, except old ones, saved for a specific purpose. But I digress) 
Now, you can see below, it's a pity there aren't seconds in the time stamps. Because it was less than 40 seconds between the event message and my typing /loc to then cut and paste it into broadcast chat. 

Note the time of the reward. Easily, within 2 minutes. At the slowest possible time to find and kill him, 2:28:01 he spawns, and 2:30:59, he's defeated. 
So, certainly no more than 3 minutes. Is this how we do things now? You can see two players looking for kraken. I mention I'd invite, but I'm only 43. I get an invite from someone, and I warn them that someone is ambitious and starting already. Before I finish typing that sentence, Kraken is half dead. I have no idea why anyone with a team of heroes brings out a lore pet, but it looked like we were doing Really Hard Way with all those pets. 

In any event - I got my lick in for the loot, but no badge. So, I have to try again later. I get it. 
But why are we/they in such a damn hurry? It's not going to cost anyone to wait a couple of minutes for a few more folks to zone in. Not everyone is going to have access to Perez with LRTP like I do. There might have been some lower level characters wanting a shot, too. 

I don't know who started in on him. It took me by surprise. I barely got a shot in before he was dead, and I feel like I'm the one that found him first. 
I know there's no solution, but I'm sharing this so maybe, someone will wait a few minutes for other folks to get there. That's all. 

image.png.1fa76cb684c4dfed5b8d0f234a99b1f0.png

38 minutes ago, Ukase said:

Because it was less than 40 seconds between the event message and my typing /loc to then cut and paste it into broadcast chat. 

"Kraken here $loc" works without the copy/paste step needed.

As for the rest, yeah, someone always starts in eventually.  If someone is very loud about forming a team and telling people to message them for a spot on it, you might have a bit more order, but the longer that goes on, the greater the chance someone won't be able to keep a cork in it.  Or someone will just accidentally aggro the Kraken because they aren't careful arriving in the area.  And once Kraken tags someone, it's on...

Shopping in Texas - Señor GIF - Pronounced GIF or JIF?

50 minutes ago, Ukase said:

Now, you can see below, it's a pity there aren't seconds in the time stamps.

FWIW: HH:MM:SS can be turned on in timestamps. Unfortunately I don't recall where the option to set it that way is located. Been so long since I set that up that I've forgotten, sorry. 😄 😞

Here's a piece of a random screen grab I had lying around:

image.png.6284ca530e9eafc7f09ae3fcfd2378ca.png

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

1 hour ago, InvaderStych said:

FWIW: HH:MM:SS can be turned on in timestamps

I never realized this; I knew there was a 24 hour format and a 12 hour format, but since I liked the 12 hour format, I never clicked through to see there was a 24H with seconds. Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Ukase said:

But why are we/they in such a damn hurry?

Discussing this topic casually on a recent team, it dawned on me that farming may very well be the source - the sugar rush leveling, speed runs, the chasing metrics of "merits-per-hour etc.  Some people maybe did some rushing just for the sake of "can I make this work?" which can be fun, but dear god anymore it's an insult to wait for hardly anything; just today saw someone advertising for a Katie H and after the second LFG chat post, said, "I don't wait to take all day to gather a team."   Farming, and those "I've played this game a lot, I don't have the time to do a normal run but I still bizarrely feel I deserve all the rewards anyway" types.  These are also the sort to downvote anyone pointing this out, ha ha.

And there's that whole people-being-jerks-online things, which is a bigger problem than in just this gamer.  😃

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Thumbs Down 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I tend to play "off hours" when population is low. So...

If I come across a GM in a zone... and that GM didn't just spawn... I will always do a whoall to see if anyone is in the zone, and if there are players in the zone I broadcast asking if anyone wants in. If a player is hidden, let's just agree that they chose to be hidden. There are enough GM hunters that when I'm the first one to the monster I'll either wait or start slow(*1).

If the server is populated, I'll announce in the LFG. My monster hunter is capable of slowing down, but I gotta be honest... I don't like waiting 10 minutes for people to get to the zone before starting. I've been doing this long enough I feel like I have a pretty good sense if anyone is going to join in. If I get a tell, I'll wait. Most of teh monsters will be back up in 4 hours anyway.

(*1) for me: when I want to take my time, I don't pop Lores. A couple of reasonably well-built level 50s should be able to finish off most GMs if one of them can do damage, without Lores.

I go out of my way to not use lores because I figure the slower we go, the more chance some stragglers have to maybe get a hit in. 

And yeah, I'm not a patient guy either. But, to me 5 minutes is a fair amount of time to wait for someone to notice the event, travel to a train or sg port, and pop in zone. Another 90 seconds, and I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I just feel bad for the folks who arrived in what I consider a timely fashion only to learn the GM is down already. 

4 hours ago, Ukase said:

I never realized this; I knew there was a 24 hour format and a 12 hour format, but since I liked the 12 hour format, I never clicked through to see there was a 24H with seconds. Thanks!

Anytime. That explains why I forgot how I set it up. Weird that there is no 12 hour with seconds option, seems like that should be available for both.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

5 hours ago, ZemX said:

Or someone will just accidentally aggro the Kraken because they aren't careful arriving in the area. 

This is particularly true for Kraken because of his pop-in. 

there is a glaring issue here.  this is like writing up a discussion aimed at people who cannot read/  why can't they read, do they want to read, the benefits of reading.  then handing it out on the street to convince people to read.

everyone on the forums (except for a few griefing murder hobos) agree with the concept and protocol of being good teammates/fellow players.

a lot of people on "New Freedumb" err Excelsior have no idea they should wait for anyone or that anyone wants this thing.  mostly because, like not reading the forums, they are not observant of chat.  They have music going, a dog barking, a TV playing, shoving food in nutrient hole, etc...

• Like 1

You're all making the protocol much harder than it needs to be. You defeat Giant Monsters from the outside in. The typical order starts with the seafood GM and moves onto the Salad GM, but if the courses are in a different order the host should have set up the Giant Monsters accordingly so you still just need to work from the outside in.

• Like 1

FWIW, I was in Perez the other day on a team doing a Numina and Kraken was there when we exited our mission. We couldn't invite to our team but we started a league for Kraken and waited several minutes for people to join.

• Staff of Aesculapius 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

every time I see this title I'm expecting the announcement of a brand new, very difficult AV called Protocol.

It is so tough that it may be necessary for players to petition a GM to help them defeat said AV.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

14 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Discussing this topic casually on a recent team, it dawned on me that farming may very well be the source - the sugar rush leveling, speed runs, the chasing metrics of "merits-per-hour etc.  Some people maybe did some rushing just for the sake of "can I make this work?" which can be fun, but dear god anymore it's an insult to wait for hardly anything; just today saw someone advertising for a Katie H and after the second LFG chat post, said, "I don't wait to take all day to gather a team."   Farming, and those "I've played this game a lot, I don't have the time to do a normal run but I still bizarrely feel I deserve all the rewards anyway" types.

And there's that whole people-being-jerks-online things, which is a bigger problem than in just this gamer.  😃

Its not farming, it’s life actually. 

People are on go constantly, if you go outside and actually interact with people you’ll notice this. That naturally translates to people being on go in games too. Its gotten worse in recent years as people used to be more patient, not so much anymore. Has objectively nothing to do with farming

• Like 3

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

I'm of two hearts on this one. One I like the idea of soloing a GM for the challenge. For that I'm typically doing it at an off hour time where the server pop is low. When there's substantial population and I feel like hunting GMs, I form a league and put Incandescence on the toon. I personally feel that all League Leaders should have it slotted and help the stragglers arrive quicker. When I'm leading a league, if someone hasn't made progress Online in a reasonable amount of time then they can always catch the next one because they could be grabbing a coffee, taking a piss, or having a massive map server. Luckily enough they respawn fairly regularly.

10 hours ago, Snarky said:

there is a glaring issue here.  this is like writing up a discussion aimed at people who cannot read/  why can't they read, do they want to read, the benefits of reading.  then handing it out on the street to convince people to read.

everyone on the forums (except for a few griefing murder hobos) agree with the concept and protocol of being good teammates/fellow players.

a lot of people on "New Freedumb" err Excelsior have no idea they should wait for anyone or that anyone wants this thing.  mostly because, like not reading the forums, they are not observant of chat.  They have music going, a dog barking, a TV playing, shoving food in nutrient hole, etc...

Yep.  This whole thread can be summarized in one word: Excelsior.

9 minutes ago, Lunar Ronin said:

Yep.  This whole thread can be summarized in one word: Excelsior.

Also, this reminds me of something a good gamer mentioned.  I think it was Oklahoman. Someone ignored all his instructions and ruined a badge run.  Oklahoman banned them from future runs.  Comms were established and it turns out the person spoke little english.  I honestly think this is very common now. Some of the things that are happening do not speak to griefers or bad players but just to a lack of understanding that can only come from not speaking English. Which also would make sense. CoH Homecoming is a great mmorpg environment. And , it is free.  No matter what your local economy is like if you can find a comp with internet you can play a top notch mmorpg, no credit card needed. Maybe not a huge portion of our community but it cannot be insignificant.  And it will look exactly like the things we are seeing.  And they would all plop right down on the busiest server.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seed22 said:

Its not farming, it’s life actually. 

People are on go constantly, if you go outside and actually interact with people you’ll notice this. That naturally translates to people being on go in games too. Its gotten worse in recent years as people used to be more patient, not so much anymore. Has objectively nothing to do with farming

I'll agree such seems to be worse today; I understand that drivers have gotten worse since the pandemic alone, but Live was not half as bad as things are now. 

Live devs tried to contain most farming, HC devs do not, only the most exploitive aspects (see: Scrapyard).  HC devs have made any number of changes to the game to make life easier for players such as making IOs cheap and plentiful in ways they absolutely never were on Live.   Zoom to 50 with a couple of hours, slot your your cookie-cutter slots with cookie cutter IOs and T4-out your Incarnate powers by the end of the day and you're ready to farm!  A heavily-IOed out toon can speed-run and/or eradicate crowds of foes unlike anything we saw on Live, and now anything less than that is taken as a profound insult to such numbers-obsessed players (you can probably find examples in nearly any section of these forums, keep your eyes open).   I don't think think that's "just people" I think that's learned behavior... and probably "enabled" behavior as well, much as I generally like our devs.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

10 hours ago, Snarky said:

That's a fair point, put most amusingly. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Snarky said:

as much as i enjoy the large population of excelsior, you do raise a good point. i had assumed the waiting for others culture had disappeared in general, is it mostly an excelsior thing?

excelsior seems to have a fair amount of gnats that have found their way onto a computer. i meet a lot of one dimensional players who only seem to have the urge for “now! now! now! now!” and little depth to chat or act as a team

Edited by MoonSheep
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

as much as i enjoy the large population of excelsior, you do raise a good point. i had assumed the waiting for others culture had disappeared in general, is it mostly an excelsior thing?

excelsior seems to have a fair amount of gnats that have found their way onto a computer. i meet a lot of one dimensional players who only seem to have the urge for “now! now! now! now!” and little depth to chat or act as a team

Just my opinion: Excelsior is too large of a shard and has too many transient players for it to develop an actual community.  There's pockets of communities.  You have the PvP community.  You have the advanced mode speed running community.  But it has no shard community as a whole.  People largely don't know one another.  As a result, people tend to not really care about other players.  They come and go as they please, and do as they please, without waiting.  It's like New York City.

Smaller shards have communities because players tend to get to know one another, so they're more willing to be patient on average.  They're like your midwest town, with Everlasting being a small city.

YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2