How many new 50s are too many?

On 4/5/2024 at 8:56 AM, Greycat said:

I've barely done anything in the mapserver event.

Can't say I've ever particularly been in a great rush to 50. Ton of alts, granted...

Same.  I hopped on my badger, who's already 50 and went and did it once for the badges... before remembering it doesn't give any.  I still have a character I farmed straight up from 2 to something like 35 that I've never slotted nor gotten back to.  Farming made it all feel cheap and like I was cheating, I didn't earn a thing for the character now learned a thing about playing those power sets.  I don't use any 2XP bonuses or anything either, it's more fun leveling than waltzing around nuking mass groups from behind my purples and Incarnate powers.

• Microphone 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I've barely done anything with the mapserver thing. I used it to finish off the incarnate unlocks on a couple of characters, got one from 49.5 to vet-1 with it, and out of curiosity hopped into it with a level-1 to see how far a single event would take me. Ended up getting to 16th with her. Beyond that, I've just killed a few of the mapserver monsters when they've popped on me when I'm wandering between missions or using the AH, but nothing much beyond that. 

Just "being 50" doesn't really matter to me if the character doesn't have a personality and a concept. I enjoy the leveling process and seeing how a character evolves, and how their personality evolves as I play them. Some I've started out with a particular idea and powersets, and after 30-40 levels thought "This isn't really working, I'll shelve this version and start a new one that better fits the concept and personality". 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1

The event is probably fun for people who want alts but don't want to admit they're farming or make a farmer. (That group is quite a bit larger than you'd imagine, judging from the never-ending wall of "MS WHERE I NEED PLESE" stuff in the lfg channel).

I did try it, and took my new alt straight back to the farm after one run.  It's a puzzle to me why people are so frothy over it, but to each their own.

So hooray for boosting new players and leveling new alts! (Also looking forward to it being over so we can have the LFG channel back.)

/If you're having fun, you're playing the game right

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1

I enjoyed it immensely. Yes, I'm an altaholic and that might contribute, but in fact, I enjoyed it because.... it was fun! I've always liked invasion events, but this takes the invasion craziness that I like and adds amusing looking mobs, with silly names, and I'm amused! I smile while playing! The GM (which several of the servers collectively decided wasn't "worth it" to the point where it was habit to drone him) is challenging, crazy to look at, and crazy stuff happens. GM dances! Birds drag you up in the air by the head. GM kicks and either stomps you or sends you shooting for insane distances... and then you snap back! It's like an amusement park ride, with combat! 

I get it, it isn't everyone's thing. But... it's mine. 🙂

And this is from a player who generally solos, is not uber serious about it, but very loyal to CoH. This event was created by HC folks who were clever, creative and fun and I send them my approval.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1

9 hours ago, Krimson said:

Farming is still better but the event is definitely a boon to those who don't have their own farmers. 

Sure.  I don't do the usual farming though.

• Banjo 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

COH bomp bomp: 

My 50s tend to go on the back burner because I keep making alts. I ended up using this mapserver to get all my alts (about three tabs worth) up to level 35. That lets all of them get the patron pools, join the Vanguard for MSR, and explore Cimerora to get there easily to do ITF. Now I have a spring/summer project to get everyone to 50 and then pick some to get all the incarnate stuff on them. 

Basically, it's fine to have characters you don't really play. Put them in a tab at the back and get back to them when you're sick of playing your other characters. If that never happens, free shrugs. You have 1,000 slots so you're not running out of room.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Banjo 1

• Microphone 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

On 4/6/2024 at 11:02 PM, Scarlet Shocker said:

The number of possible permutations of each AT + 1

Why can't you have 2 or more of the same AT/primary/secondary, with diff costumes/themes/builds...? ;)

I feel very left out and under-represented by this thread, due to my rampant alt-o-holism, with almost 70 toons, highest at 39. :(

Game over man, game over!

When you have to start a 5th account to contain all your 50's with most of them being mildly cosmetically different (because you only have so many costume slots) with absolutely identical builds.

That's about the time some might suspect there could, on an outside chance, be a teensy tiny problem of Altaholism.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

27 minutes ago, Nostromo21 said:

Why can't you have 2 or more of the same AT/primary/secondary, with diff costumes/themes/builds...? 😉

I feel very left out and under-represented by this thread, due to my rampant alt-o-holism, with almost 70 toons, highest at 39. 😞

Pfft.  Piker.  I'm currently sitting on 51 Lvl 50's on my primary account.

• Haha 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

1 hour ago, Nostromo21 said:

Why can't you have 2 or more of the same AT/primary/secondary, with diff costumes/themes/builds...? 😉

I feel very left out and under-represented by this thread, due to my rampant alt-o-holism, with almost 70 toons, highest at 39. 😞

Absolutely you can, no question.

Play it your way! But once you've played every single combo of every single AT you've probably done everything you can in the game more than once.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I've got to the point that between my accounts I'm around 250 lvl 50's and realistically it's too much.

This year for the map server event I brought a lvl 47 blaster that I used up to unlocking interface/judgement with.

Some of my toons haven't been played in over a thousand days. It's a little insane. I have completely forgot about a toon and remade the same powersets and leveled it to 50 before I remembered the first one. Luckily enough they were on separate accounts.

The sad thing is I don't know what to do with them all. I don't want to delete them, but I can't realistically play them all either. And I feel compelled every once in a while to make a new toon (luckily this is slowing down some).

Maybe there's a support group for people with too many alts.

Just checked my numbers, I'm down to 93 50s.  Just got my last alt up to 50 last week, but still working on the build.

Slowly whittling away, I think my new method is that two alts get recycled when I make a new character.  I think the goal is to have 75 chars now.   Decent range of types.

Oh, and for the heck of it:

First number is how many unique combos, and second is minimum number of types if you want to have at least one with every power set, so you could just have 193 characters if you don't repeat a power set.  (Not counting epics, etc...)

Blaster -> 225 - 15
Brute -> 286 - 22
Controller -> 176 - 16
Corruptor -> 240 - 16
Defender -> 224 - 16
Dominator -> 130 - 13
Mastermind -> 112 - 16
Scrapper -> 294 - 21
Sentinal -> 182 - 14
Stalker -> 252 - 18
Tanker -> 242 - 22
Epic -> 4 - 4
Combo: 2367 - 193

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Game Master

I got some 50's slots open and played them till vet 12 when I had enough emp merits to T3 all the slots, then levelled up a few alts that had lingered in the lower levels for months and got their slots open and vet 12, then created a dozen or so new alts and got all their slots open and a few vet levels on them. So far I've slotted a couple of them, but it's carnage on my character select screen and I have deleted a handful after stripping them of anything useful as I found they weren't much fun when I played them on the mapserver. Sometimes you get a feel for a character that it's going to be fun, other times you feel it's going to be a slog. My favourite, which surprised me, is an arsenal dominator. I tried it on beta before it went live and wasn't impressed, but it's got kind of reasonable damage and some spectacular holds. It's a lot of fun if I'm honest. There's a bit more strategy to it than I expected and I'm glad I gave it a go. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Currently sitting at 59 (50s)

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

To answer your original question Troo, the simple answer is...
NO!!!

You cannot have too many lvl 50 characters, let alone ALT's! So start making some more will ya? You got 1000 slots to fill with them, so get crackin lol!!! 😁

• Haha 1

Please come and join us on Friday at 6pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (6pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

I wanted to get my main characters back to where they were on Live and plus I was always in fear that the game would go away again so I tended to rush to 50 and that is a hard habit to break even though Homecoming is legit now. I have 66 50's and a 47 that is on the verge.

While the S.T.A.R.T. vendors and the xp doublers are nice and everything, especially if you have limited time to play, I feel like there was a sense of community when things like double xp weekends were happening back on Live. Those were the weekends when you would see all your Globals lit up and it was just fun. I still have fun in the game but when it comes to leveling, it seems like it is just the same handful of things happening over and over again. I participate but it all feels kind or rote, in the end.

Actioneer || Aerobat || Agent Archer || Agent Dare || Amazona || Arbiter Doom || Astrowoman || Atheos || Attache || Aurgelmir || Big League || Blue Weasel || Bomber Girl || Cavalcader || Centenarian || Change Agent || Charade || Chimpanzer || Chorus Girl || Chrono King || Circlet || Cockatrice || Cogsman || Coin-Operative || Cold Spell || Countess Cataclysm || Crackdown || Death Adder || Deathwatch || Devana || Didgeridoo || Dirigible || Doctor Arioch || Doctor Asmodeus || Doctor Epoch || Doctor Typhoon || Duke Dreadsome || Executress || Eye || French Roast || Ghost Gal || Goldsmith || Hellstone || Herculon || Ifrit ||  Illuminoid || Iron Agent || Jen-X || Junkman ||  Liberta ||  Lord of Winter || Maera || Mime || Monument || Namtaru || Newsreel || Overman || Pakhet || Queen Cheetah || Queen Sting || Steve Saturn || Tarnation || Technoid || Teen Thunderbolt || Torch Titan || Xerelerex || Zodiax 

30 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

You have more 50's then I have characters.

It's too many right? Alt-itis is real.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum