The Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #73: Do you log on with a plan?

With 1,000 character slots and tons of content - do you log on with a plan?

Do you log on knowing which character you will play and what you will do?

Do you just see what is going on and join in?

• Finland 1

Eh. I'm probably sounding like a broken record, but it's generally RP-based.

Otherwise... *shrug* Creating a new character. Picking someone at random. Getting a wild hair to get people (say) in the teens to the 20s, or the nearest 5-level (43 to 45, for instance.) Whatever I feel like that particular moment.

• Finland 1

Still not particularly fond of certain segments of this community.

Normally, I play the newer characters to get them finished up and move them around to their dayjobs.  Down to four chars that don't have that done.

Otherwise, it's what char do I want to play?  I have some old favorites that I sometimes run around with, sometimes it brushing the dust off one that deserves a second look.

Sometimes, I'll just think "I haven't played this one in ages, do I still need it?"  and I'll strip it, then delete.  (Yea, I could just leave it there, but not my style)

• Like 1
  • Finland 1

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

That's like being a Dungeon Master. The best laid plans never survive first contact with the players. 

Only if you let the players make meaningful decisions.  Just start every adventure with the characters captured, locked in a cell, with only the items you want them to have and only the way out you want them to have.  EVERY adventure

• Haha 1
  • Finland 1

3 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

Only if you let the players make meaningful decisions.  Just start every adventure with the characters captured, locked in a cell, with only the items you want them to have and only the way out you want them to have.  EVERY adventure

I discovered the real secret of how to railroad characters without them complaining. You set the adventure on a train. Yes, I did this in Forgotten Realms aboard the Kara-Tur Express. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Finland 1

8 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Do you log on knowing which character you will play and what you will do?

If I'm leveling a character for which I've developed an obsession, or I've finished planning out a respec for a character.  Otherwise, I just go with my gut.

• Finland 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

3 hours ago, Krimson said:

That's like being a Dungeon Master. The best laid plans never survive first contact with the players. 

As DM, I once killed an entire party at the start of a campaign with three mosquitos .... oopsie

• Finland 1

/e poofgone

I'm a professional planner by trade (even have a certificate and all, planning.org), so I "try" to avoid having a plan when I boot up something to play. That said I have an idea what I want to play tonight at least for a bit assuming the toddler falls asleep soon.

• Finland 1

1 hour ago, DougGraves said:

mosquitos do kill the most people every  year

The problem was the party did not have enough dex to land a hit

Eventually, all were drained of blood.

Edited by JasperStone

/e poofgone

14 hours ago, lemming said:

Panama!

just free associating palindromes, now off to dig a canal towards perez...

You know, you have to be careful when you go to Panama…

image.jpeg.530bbc469a4d5d16ce3e48e65f9c5922.jpeg

• Moose 1