Scrapper: Am I Doing it Wrong?

Herotu

Quick history:

Original game = Just Tanks and Scrappers for melee.

CoV Expac added Brutes and Stalkers for villain side only.

Eventually heroes got access to Brutes and Stalkers and villains got access to Tanks and Scrappers.

I've recently been levelling a Scrapper and it feels... weak.  It's damage isn't as impressive as I imagined.

I get the impression that a Brute could do as much damage. 

Am I wrong? What's unique about Scrapper, compared to Brute?

What does scrapper do better? Traditional thinking would say Single target damage, but;

• I'm not seeing impressive damage.
  • I don't have lots of single target powers - did I pick a bad powerset? Elec?
  • Enemies come in groups. 

What's going on? Am I just doing it wrong?

Edited by Herotu
  • Like 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Well for one, yes electric melee is a sub par set, and specifically the way it's sub par is going to make it feel bad. 

Scrapper actually can be out dpsed by Brutes both ST and AoE depending on sets and builds. However once you add the ATOs in, the formula flips. Crit is the secret sauce you are likely missing. 

In particular, picking the right spot for superior critical strikes proc. Some sets can manage over 30% up time on that +50% chance to crit

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

What makes Scrapper ahead is the Scrapper ATO, and the best version of that is the superior one.

So, while leveling the Brutes are on par or ahead. And at 50 Scrappers easily pull ahead.

Electric melee is a sort of specialty set.

You are trading ST damage for a telenuke.

I'd recommend it on Stalker since the Assasins strike gives you back some ST damage.

If you want to get a feel for Scrappers that matures earlier, try something like Martial Arts or Claws or War Mace. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to continue along the same thought as @Herotu (I've recently been levelling a Scrapper and it feels... weak.  It's damage isn't as impressive as I imagined).

I absolutely enjoyed every second of playing my Fire/Fire Tanker back in the legacy days (Issue 0 onwards). I decided to make a Fire/Fire Scrapper on Homecoming after reading about some power changes back in Page 5 of Issue 27. I'm at Level 4 and I'm enjoying it so far - very simple and I like DoTs from Fire as a secondary effect. However, I can't get away from Mids and build optimization (once you open that pandora's box, it's a curse!).

Is it reasonable to expect this build will not be the worst Scrapper I could've rolled? Hopefully that bar is low enough 😄 

1 minute ago, Glacier Peak said:

I'd like to continue along the same thought as @Herotu (I've recently been levelling a Scrapper and it feels... weak.  It's damage isn't as impressive as I imagined).

I absolutely enjoyed every second of playing my Fire/Fire Tanker back in the legacy days (Issue 0 onwards). I decided to make a Fire/Fire Scrapper on Homecoming after reading about some power changes back in Page 5 of Issue 27. I'm at Level 4 and I'm enjoying it so far - very simple and I like DoTs from Fire as a secondary effect. However, I can't get away from Mids and build optimization (once you open that pandora's box, it's a curse!).

Is it reasonable to expect this build will not be the worst Scrapper I could've rolled? Hopefully that bar is low enough 😄 

It'll be a bit squishy but fire aura is one of the offensive armor and fire melee is solid, not top tier but above average.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herotu said:

What does scrapper do better?

Scrapper+

1. Much better ATIO
  2. Scales better with +dmg (kins, musc alpha etc) due to higher damage scalar
  3. Better epics (in particular, access to epic snipes - brutes can't get zapp, psi lance etc.)

Scrapper-

1. Less base & max HP
  2. Low resist cap
  3. AT name doesn't sound as cool as brute
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

brutes and stalkers can feel pretty fun while leveling but tankers and scrappers end up being miles better at level cap with incarnates and a solid IO'd loadout.   as others have said... the critical strikes proc ATO is what makes scrapper feel so much better.  it is a complete game changer.  also, yes elec melee is............... underwhelming.

If you are playing a scrapper like you are playing a tanker (and by that I mean slotting any and all damage procs), you are not going to notice a tremendous pickup.  Procs don't crit, and the parts of your overall damage that can be enhanced are minimal.  Where you will see the most benefit is when you are at +100% damage from slotting, and using critical hits intelligently.

• Like 2

Who run Bartertown?

There are by far my favorite class. Electric isn’t the best though.  It’s a lot of fun on stalker as they have a pretty good st chain cause of AS and lighting rod doesn’t break stealth (which I think is incredibly stupid and makes no sense). 

im at 12 scrappers, 5 tanks, and 1 brute.   I wish I could find more brutes to play. Theme is only reason I kept the one. And kinda want 1 of each class at 50. 

anyway, scrappers are great. The atos make a big difference. I’d get both procs at lvl 10. 

On 4/20/2024 at 2:03 AM, Thraxen said:

There are by far my favorite class. Electric isn’t the best though.  It’s a lot of fun on stalker as they have a pretty good st chain cause of AS and lighting rod doesn’t break stealth (which I think is incredibly stupid and makes no sense). 

im at 12 scrappers, 5 tanks, and 1 brute.   I wish I could find more brutes to play. Theme is only reason I kept the one. And kinda want 1 of each class at 50. 

anyway, scrappers are great. The atos make a big difference. I’d get both procs at lvl 10. 

Is this right? The ATOs you mention are;

• Critical Strikes: Recharge/+50% Critical Hit Chance Proc and
  • Scrapper's Strike: Recharge/Critical Hit Bonus?

Do I buy 5 of each?

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Electric is weak for everyone. I try and try to play it, I am drawn to it, and it invariably disappoints (not as much as say Kinetic Melee, but really....). Electric is a one-trick pony: Lightning Rod. Its a nifty trick but still a singular one.

On 4/19/2024 at 8:55 AM, Herotu said:

What does scrapper do better?

Damage.

image.jpeg.2459de8b1f00bf2fe091c64b8f3117e1.jpeg

525 damage, followed by 525 damage, followed by 673 damage (or thereabouts)...at level 40, with two IOs slotted (the +3 Defense ones) and everything else SOs, solo play. Blasters have to use their T9s with Build Up or snipe for high damage, Brutes have to get a head of steam going, and Scrappers...just have to keep swinging and the magic happens.  And as noted above, you get more reliable in churning out the damage.

Now, back to my baby Brute....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later