What year is it?

So the live version of the game shut down in 2012, and I think at the time the in universe calendar roughly matched up to the real world.

But, like, is that still true? Is this one of those comic book sliding timescale things where now is always now? Or did time pause for the seven years between live and homecoming and it's 2017 in Paragon City? 

What is the date, in universe? 

It is up to you. The game doesn't explicitly tell us the year.

IMO, judging by the Rikti War's effect on the populace, it was probably around 2004. My hunch is all the post-Praetoria War events took place within the first decade of the 21st century. 

However, Homecoming devs add their own story from issue 27 onwards, so maybe the year is closer to the 2020s. Who knows?

Any health problems or reactions due to the temporal distortions or interdimensional shifts due to the "blink", must be reported to the D.T.A( Department of Temporal Affairs) or D.I.A( Department of interdimensional Affairs) for full psychological evaluation. 

• Staff of Aesculapius 1

5 hours ago, keyguardactive said:

Is this one of those comic book sliding timescale things where now is always now?

I think this is the closest option.  With the Bicentennial badge and associated plaques added by the HC devs, the in-game year is at least 2023.  

One issue with matching the game's timeline to time close to our present is that it would be a massive undertaking updating the aesthetics and writing from the early 2000s when the game first came out.  For aesthetics, I mean elements like clothing, car models, etc.  The writing for a good chunk of the game is influenced by and in the context of the social, technological, etc. trends in the early 2000s.  You can see this in a lot of blueside dialogue, the history plaques, and the lore bible.  The HC devs have added modern elements like smartphones or a reference to 'snapgram' in a new story arc. 

So it's at least 2023 but in a "don't think too much about it" way

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't remember who said it, but someone mentioned the entire 'War on Drugs' theme, which was fairly true to comics of the 1980s and 90s, aged like whole milk. It's somewhat shy of being offensive or racially charged in CoH the way it is IRL, but still pretty jarring.

The most egregious example I can think of off the top of my head is the 'Heroic' tip mission in which you're fighting against people who've lined up for Superadine, including the aging boxer hero, Stalwart: https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Mission:Tip_-_Denmark_Wants_Muscles_This_Friday

In 2024, if I were to come up against an older person who tells me, "You don't understand. I'm aging and in pain. I need these opiates to function.", my reaction would NOT be to 'Arrest' them and let the Popo deal with them. Instead, it'd be more like, 'You're right. I don't understand. Can you get Narcan for if you OD? You know a lot of folks die from bad Fentanyl these days, right?'

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

There are a few things here and there that still portray the game as being in the 2000's instead of the 2020's. 

Mr. G's rogue arc, for instance, mentions that "you're trending on some popular blogs" when you're doing your big power play. Not "social media", it specially says blogs. 🙂

4 hours ago, huang3721 said:

It is up to you. The game doesn't explicitly tell us the year.

IMO, judging by the Rikti War's effect on the populace, it was probably around 2004. My hunch is all the post-Praetoria War events took place within the first decade of the 21st century. 

However, Homecoming devs add their own story from issue 27 onwards, so maybe the year is closer to the 2020s. Who knows?

The recent plaque in Talos Island facing Dark Astoria gives the year of the Mot attack as 2012, so Homecoming definitely holds that 2012 is at least happening, though additional plaques elsewhere might move the needle even further into the future. 

We've also now got smartphone related emotes like texting.  Not sure when those were added, and while it's true that one could text on a Blackberry in 2009, it does point to a time after 2004. 

Frankly the blending of various technologies old and new, phones, cars, etc., gives the game a distinct alternate universe feel, much like the 1989 Batman movie blended 1930s/40s aesthetics with late 1980s aesthetics to create a fantasy Gotham and made it timeless.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My “meta plot” take on it is simple, yet complex.  Also, absolutely true.   

Journey with me…;

The CoH/CoV starts when you create a character.  Day one. Every single character has the same day one.  Now, it is about to get through the looking glass weird.  

As you progress from level 1 to 50 (and this could take 3 hours in an event like mapserver.  Or years.) The game. Does not.  Change.  Ever.  Day one.  It looks like the clocks turn, day turns to night, to day. But CoH/V time is “stuck” on a specific day.  

The Menders know this.  They take advantage of it.  They want your help. To 1) fix all the things wrong with today. ( admitted by them, although they leave out the “today” part) 2) find a way to move the whole world past “day 1”.  ( they will never admit this and probably not all Menders know).  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Haijinx said:

The cars and brick cell phones look 90s though.

So it's comic book time.

Cellphones yes, but the cars, many of those are boats and seem pretty 70s to me.  But then there's computers on a lot of desks, so who even knows?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

13 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Cellphones yes, but the cars, many of those are boats and seem pretty 70s to me.  But then there's computers on a lot of desks, so who even knows?

Look like 1990is computers though

Those could be 80s monochrome screens though...

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

8 hours ago, Techwright said:

Frankly the blending of various technologies old and new, phones, cars, etc., gives the game a distinct alternate universe feel, much like the 1989 Batman movie blended 1930s/40s aesthetics with late 1980s aesthetics to create a fantasy Gotham and made it timeless.

Great explanation and example.  Batman: TAS from 1992-1995 is another example since it also blended the noir style of the 40s and 50s with elements from other decades.  Which makes sense since it was inspired in part by the 1989 movie.  There was an episode where the villain was the former star of an in-cartoon show with a 50s 'Leave it to Beaver' look but the episode takes place about 15-20 years later.  It's about taking different elements from different decades as needed and blending in a way to be timeless, as was said before.

As for time and various technologies, it makes sense that an alternate universe with superpowers, mad science, heroes, villains, supergeniuses, magic, etc. would have some technologies change at different rates than our universe.  I know there's the superhero genre trope of villains and heroes not using their tech or abilities for anything beyond fighting/committing crime.  But the COH universe has instances where the trope is not followed.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Worm_Kalpa said:

As for time and various technologies, it makes sense that an alternate universe with superpowers, mad science, heroes, villains, supergeniuses, magic, etc. would have some technologies change at different rates than our universe.  I know there's the superhero genre trope of villains and heroes not using their tech or abilities for anything beyond fighting/committing crime.  But the COH universe has instances where the trope is not followed.

On target, and I'd add that one of those techs not used for anything other than fighting is the medical teleporters.  Last I knew, the real world has only been able to teleport small amounts of information.  So with those, the timeless factor is achieved by sci-fi projection down the timeline, as well as the old-school phone booths and cars from days gone by.  And, of course, we've a story arc dealing with the fallout of severely restricting that medical teleporter technology.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/21/2024 at 11:41 AM, Techwright said:

The recent plaque in Talos Island facing Dark Astoria gives the year of the Mot attack as 2012, so Homecoming definitely holds that 2012 is at least happening, though additional plaques elsewhere might move the needle even further into the future. 

I can't find the plaque. It's a history plaque, isn't it? I am going to visit Paragon City once again tonight. I've spent too much time going back and forth between Praetoria and Pocket D.

20 hours ago, MrAxe said:

The CRT monitors have got to be a clue as to the year.

Evc3UyI.jpg

^Maybe the Corp can't disrupt its operations during the transition to newer hardware.

Edited by huang3721
Or, maybe Statesman is a money pincher? (Just kidding)

Let's see...

I was in Cimerora, around 200 BCE

I was in Crash Site around 2003 CE

I was in RWZ right after a revamp and Praetoria before Cole blew it up and after he blew it up. Then I went back and spoke to Tina Mac who sent me after some geezer she referred to as Tyrant

Finally I went to Ouroboros at the end of the known universe and all of time and spoke to the last Kheldian and Mender Silos.

and all of this took me just a couple of hours.

What year do you want it to be?

• Like 2

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

4 hours ago, huang3721 said:

I can't find the plaque. It's a history plaque, isn't it? I am going to visit Paragon City once again tonight. I've spent too much time going back and forth between Praetoria and Pocket D.

Evc3UyI.jpg

^Maybe the Corp can't disrupt its operations during the transition to newer hardware.

I would love to see these screens (and even the computers themselves in some places) be updated in the next patch.

11 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

What year do you want it to be?

It's mostly my trying to understand my hero's motivation and disposition. As you play through the game you participate in events that took place in the past, so you're moving through time as you level up. 

But I'm trying to pin down things like, at max level, from my character's perspective, how long has Statesman been dead? Was that weeks ago and it's still fresh? Or has Paragon city been without it's nominal Paragon for years now? The Mot Crisis was, as we see in this thread, in March of 2012. Are people's bruises still fresh, or have the nightmares had time to fade? 

I'm just the sort of dork that wants his headcannon to fit within the official framework. 

• Thumbs Up 1