A bit bothered

19 minutes ago, Ghost said:

With the condescending names he uses, and the way he publicly takes shots at players who leave - I’m actually surprised he’s able to put a team togethet

So…you’ve met them, too, I see.:_)

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

With the condescending names he uses, and the way he publicly takes shots at players who leave - I’m actually surprised he’s able to put a team togethet

Personally I don't mind the drill instructor leadership method, but it only works if the drill instructor actually knows what he's doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

9 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

If that player hadn't played since an early issue then maybe there was a lot that was different.

I remember when the game first came back, there were people endlessly bellyaching on Reddit about how the private servers—usually Homecoming—had changed the game in some way. Nine times out of ten the change they were gripping about had been made by Paragon Studios. The person had just stopped playing before that issue dropped.

• Like 5

last time I tried serious farming I ended up with shit on my boots and a bad back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

On 5/3/2024 at 5:55 AM, CertifiedSkrunkly said:

so last night i ran into a returning player and decided to help him out.. everything was going good until i invited him on one of my late night PI runs to which he agreed to do. not even 2 missions in and he starts complaining about "this isnt the CoH i remember" and "none of this was in base game". where things really flew off the rails was when the entire team tried helping him with the UI and he was nothing but combative with them. after a while of back and forth i was forced to boot him from the team because as much as i would have liked to see this resolved, i had a grind team to run. this has been on the back of my mind since and its been really bothering me. this isnt the first unsavory encounter i have had recently, but its the first ive had directly caused by trying to help someone. This was on Everlasting around 4 to 5 am ish EST? also apologies but i dont really know what tags to use for this.

Been alot of returnees I've been encountering over the last few months.  99% have been excited to return, nice and willing to learn just how much has changed and hor HC changes have impacted the game.

I've only encountered a few that were a problem.  Those mostly amounted to impatience to learn/have something explained or one that went a bit off the rails in things that arent appropriate discussions here.  Outside of that one(that I put on ignore), the rest I just let them guide what they wanted to (or not) know and let them be on their way to sink or swim as the desired.  Not everyone is receptive to help even after asking for it.

14 hours ago, cranebump said:

This description fits a particular player I've played with (till I learned better) and seen recruiting fairly regularly. They run missions only. They ask for a specific level range (or a level minimum). They gather everyone outside the mish door (because WHAT ARE YOU DOING GOING IN BEFORE ME?). Before heading in (behind our fearless leader), you get a rundown on how the mish will be approached. They always play a tank (er, I mean, THE tank). They always herd to a corner (they take pains to point out the spot--because we're all pretty stupid). If there is ANY perceived deviation from this plan, they'll stop everything to type out their hissy fit. In short, this person is a colossal douche bag (a descriptive nugget that never appears in the recruiting pitch).:-) That said, their expectations are pretty clear once you're on the team -- I'm going to play like it's 2009, and no one's going to stop me. I'm also going to bang on how people play these days while I do it. Because I'm a sour, sour, sour sack of birdsh*t.

Im fairly sure I know who you're referring to as well.  I've come to learn that this individual has personal issues that are not just on a character flaw level and that its either tolerating them on their team or putting on ignore to avoid their invitations. Not seeking to defend or condone bad behavior but simply to say there's more going on than just misanthropy.  Its a shame but we do have some people who play the game who have challenges and unless they violate the rules of conduct, we can only make our own personal decisions in these regards.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 6:56 AM, cranebump said:

This description fits a particular player I've played with (till I learned better) and seen recruiting fairly regularly. They run missions only. They ask for a specific level range (or a level minimum). They gather everyone outside the mish door (because WHAT ARE YOU DOING GOING IN BEFORE ME?). Before heading in (behind our fearless leader), you get a rundown on how the mish will be approached. They always play a tank (er, I mean, THE tank). They always herd to a corner (they take pains to point out the spot--because we're all pretty stupid). If there is ANY perceived deviation from this plan, they'll stop everything to type out their hissy fit. In short, this person is a colossal douche bag (a descriptive nugget that never appears in the recruiting pitch).:-) That said, their expectations are pretty clear once you're on the team -- I'm going to play like it's 2009, and no one's going to stop me. I'm also going to bang on how people play these days while I do it. Because I'm a sour, sour, sour sack of birdsh*t.

oh hey i remember a person like that from Live, on Virtue, they had their whole little scheme, and they had macros for telling people when it was time to start attacking, and so on, it was amazing. they had an entire supergroup that was super aggressive about prestige and got so mad when some of the marketeers started competing with them on it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've almost entirely encountered jovial new or returning players that are excited to be back and are completely pleasant in all contexts. There are a handful of folks I'd categorize as having outmoded thinking about certain game elements, but most of them are otherwise pleasant.

The few that don't fit the jovial category are mostly ones who don't remember certain things on a spectrum from "where is Kings Row?" to which zones are Blue/Red/Gold (and how to get to them). Only a tiny fraction of those players are frustrated to the point of being sour... the one example I'll mention is the new/returning level 1 who desperately wanted to join a Crey's Folly Jurassik team but had no resources (including a PTA pass) to get there nor did they want help/advice. Not much to be done for that circumstance.

I've witnessed two new trolls through the conversation channels. One was having the sort of meltdown that I suspect was 100% performative, as I can't imagine a really new player being both that bitter and also that committed to General chat. If I had to take that dude at face value, I would question why they invested so much effort into learning the chat system before learning anything else about the game.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 12:52 AM, Snarky said:

Drunk Games on Steam

images.jpg.d10226ecfd407b354648aecf9c0ac0d5.jpg

As someone who stopped playing originally in like issue 7, I came onto Homehoming with literally no idea about Invention Origin enhancements, Ouroboros, VEATs, or *gestures vaguely at everything*.

I didn't know what I didn't know.

That said, I tried not to be weird about it. I did not try to be sober about it.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

8 minutes ago, Gulbasaur said:

images.jpg.d10226ecfd407b354648aecf9c0ac0d5.jpg

As someone who stopped playing originally in like issue 7, I came onto Homehoming with literally no idea about Invention Origin enhancements, Ouroboros, VEATs, or *gestures vaguely at everything*.

I didn't know what I didn't know.

That said, I tried not to be weird about it. I did not try to be sober about it.

it is a lot, and really strangely connected.  but, imo, the OP either was dealing with someone honestly missing something upstairs or who was chemically altered   

bad form to show up on a pug and chastise your new friends for you not being as happy as you want to be

• Like 1

Just now, Snarky said:

bad form to show up on a pug and chastise your new friends for you not being as happy as you want to be

Oh, absolutely. Goodwill towards your fellow players is pretty much what makes or breaks an MMO. The fact that their behaviour is notable speaks quite positively overall for the City Of Heroes/Villains community.

• Like 2
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

Speaking for myself, I’m a lot OLDER than when I was last in COH. I think the consolidation of content is a COOL thing, but I would imagine that some returning players from my Age cohort might not like what they perceive as someone moving their cheese.

I’ve had two major strokes since I last logged into COH, so *I’m* just glad to be here and able to play reasonably well.

When I meet players that are not accepting of Homecoming, my response is a polite; “We’re lucky to have this and it’s better than not having it at all”…..

That might not be the best response; but hey - I have brain damage 🙂

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Starrflare said:

Speaking for myself, I’m a lot OLDER than when I was last in COH. I think the consolidation of content is a COOL thing, but I would imagine that some returning players from my Age cohort might not like what they perceive as someone moving their cheese.

A lesson from Jabberwocky is: Do not move the cheese.

• Like 2

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

28 minutes ago, Herotu said:

Indeed. Now, cutting it is another story...

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, seebs said:

oh hey i remember a person like that from Live, on Virtue, they had their whole little scheme, and they had macros for telling people when it was time to start attacking, and so on, it was amazing. they had an entire supergroup that was super aggressive about prestige and got so mad when some of the marketeers started competing with them on it.

I'm trying not to be impressed by the fact they took the time to make macros for this sort of thing. (straining...straining...phew...yeah, that's next level douchey).

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 1

• Game Master

The only problem I see a lot of is people are TOO helpful on the help channel and can overwhelm someone with information. Not a bad thing, I've been in games where you ask questions and its tumble weeds, but sometimes even I get confused with information overload and I know what they are asking about 🙂 

• Like 1

Sorry, @CertifiedSkrunkly. Some people you can't help. Now you know. Sometimes, the kindest thing you can do is /kick them and then /ignore them. 

Try not to get too sour. You will encounter more people like this, but they are in the vast minority. Also, consider the possibility that they may be mentally or emotionally disabled in some way, and do not intend to act as they do. There's many more people who you will enjoy playing with and who will enjoy playing with you. So cheer up, my friend! All is well...

• Like 1

Ran into something like this yesterday. A returning player joined a PI council team and complained a lot about being "Power Levelled" 

I think maybe such teams shouldn't indiscriminately recruit "Any Level" like they tend to on Everlasting. Not right now with so many returners and newer players.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Herotu said:
18 hours ago, Starrflare said:

I’ve had two major strokes since I last logged into COH, so *I’m* just glad to be here and able to play reasonably well.

When I meet players that are not accepting of Homecoming, my response is a polite; “We’re lucky to have this and it’s better than not having it at all”…..

That might not be the best response; but hey - I have brain damage 🙂

The simpler solution is to just follow the cheese.

Regarding people like the one the OP mentions...

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.