Great work by the Homecoming team and staff to keep things running smoothly six months after official licensing. Absolutely professional team whose consistent quality updates are the example that other modern video game studios should strive to follow

• Glacier Peak changed the title to Great work by the Homecoming team and staff to keep things running smoothly six months after official licensing. Absolutely professional team whose consistent quality updates are the example that other modern video game studios should strive to follow

‘Nuff said

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

46 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Obviously, it must be code for something.  Look at the first letter of each word, GwbtHtastktrssmaol  Aptwcquatetomvgssstf.

OK, maybe not.

But if you invert the letters, close your eyes, then say the sentence backwards, it actually says: "Indomitable is the server with no lag and double XP, come join us weekends for awesome badge runs, theme teams, and slow and steady teaming - brought to you in part by @Glacier Peak, @Lunar Ronin, and the Theme Teamers of Indomitable"

Sort of like when you see closed captioning/subtitling for a really long dialog scene in a foreign film, but the english translation is just a one word response 😄 

• Haha 1
  • Microphone 1

Agreed.

And it's so quiet on the forums today. I sense closed testing is happening again.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Ooooh boy I’m gonna get dislikes but uhm. 

I don’t think other studios should look at what HC does and follow it. It took YEARS to get to the level of transparency we have now, and there’s still a mountain of work to do on that front. Case and point, only just now are they starting to put design goals on sets to better paint a picture of what they hope to accomplish with changes. Ff14 has been doing this for years.

Also how HC handles sets to me seems too much like it was done in a spreadsheet and not what’s actually fun. Definitely not something other studios should copy. 

At first, HC to me was the beesknees, now? They’re alright. I mean they haven’t completely ruined the game which is great but they are in no way shape or form a shining beacon in the industry. Not even close.

Edited by Seed22
  • Thumbs Up 4

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

19 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

Ooooh boy I’m gonna get dislikes but uhm. 

I don’t think other studios should look at what HC does and follow it. It took YEARS to get to the level of transparency we have now, and there’s still a mountain of work to do on that front. Case and point, only just now are they starting to put design goals on sets to better paint a picture of what they hope to accomplish with changes. Ff14 has been doing this for years.

Also how HC handles sets to me seems too much like it was done in a spreadsheet and not what’s actually fun. Definitely not something other studios should copy. 

At first, HC to me was the beesknees, now? They’re alright. I mean they haven’t completely ruined the game which is great but they are in no way shape or form a shining beacon in the industry. Not even close.

I think that player criticism is a necessary and healthy component of this community. Thank you for your reply.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seed22 said:

Case and point, only just now are they starting to put design goals on sets to better paint a picture of what they hope to accomplish with changes. Ff14 has been doing this for years.

On the one hand, this is a perfectly fair response to the OP's title boast saying for-profit companies should follow HC team's example.  

On the other hand, no for-profit game publisher, especially one that made over 2 billion dollars last year, has any excuse NOT to do better than a 20-year old MMO run for no-profit by volunteers in their spare time.

• Like 2
  • Microphone 2

21 minutes ago, ZemX said:

On the one hand, this is a perfectly fair response to the OP's title boast saying for-profit companies should follow HC team's example.  

On the other hand, no for-profit game publisher, especially one that made over 2 billion dollars last year, has any excuse NOT to do better than a 20-year old MMO run for no-profit by volunteers in their spare time.

There's good and bad examples out there. I look at a gaming studio like 343 Industries and their abomination that is Halo Infinite and think how many billions of dollars went in to that product, how many developers sunk decades worth of development hours in to it (and it still feels like I'm beta testing it when I play), and how the care of a previous studio's intellectual property (Bungie) was so mismanaged, that I think I can accept this comparison.

• Like 1

There should be a goddamn law that says any company discontinuing a game -- especially one that needs to be online to play -- should have to open-source both the game and the server code.

Unfortunately, the chances of this happening are an order of magnitude less than those of Doctor Who returning after being cancelled in the 80s.

• Like 1
  • Microphone 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 6/14/2024 at 8:03 AM, Bionic_Flea said:

Obviously, it must be code for something.  Look at the first letter of each word, GwbtHtastktrssmaol  Aptwcquatetomvgssstf.

OK, maybe not.

That looks a bit like one of the questions on Patton Oswald's new "1% Club". 

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1