Does the Fixed Crafting Fee Stifle the Market?

Herotu

It appears that the playerbase is getting wise to the notion of selling everything in order to fund Attuned enhancements.

Would it free up the market to replace the fixed fee for crafting enhancements? Perhaps if the market fee were higher to make up for the loss of this inf sink, this would encourage much more crafting of enhancements.

What do you think of these ideas?

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

No. Stagnant games, which this is, require a seeded market for long term longevity. Otherwise you chase away any potential new players with everything being overpriced after just a few months in as people start hoarding currency.

If you want IOs just buy the mats and craft them. There are literally 10million of every mat seeded for you to buy.

And if the argument is.. you want to make lots of influence by cornering markets but cant with a seeded market. Well then to that I say boohoo for you too bad.

Edit: oh I misread and thought you were talking about the seeded market not the IO fee. Not sure why. My apologies, but I'll leave the message up anyway so people can flame me. I can take it... I'm a /fire brute!

It's probably just because I'm pretty out of the loop on all of this, but I don't really understand what you're asking for? 

Are you saying it's not worth it to craft IOs because of the crafting fee?  If that's your issue, you should probably just change your spending habits?  From what I hear the market manipulation tools built into these servers means that its usually cheaper to buy rare IOs than to craft them bc of Enhancement Converter shenanigans. Since this is done to keep IO costs low & (along with other systems) seems to have succeeded, what would really be gained from removing the fee?

If that's not the issue, what would removing crafting fees accomplish?

These may all be dumb questions, I just don't have any real understanding of what removing crafting fees would accomplish.

It's probably just because I'm pretty out of the loop on all of this, but I don't really understand what you're asking for? 

Are you saying it's not worth it to craft IOs because of the crafting fee?  If that's your issue, you should probably just change your spending habits? 

[..] I just don't have any real understanding of what removing crafting fees would accomplish.

Take a look at the recipes on the market. You will note that there are a considerable number are for sale in great quantities (i.e. there are 790 Call to Arms: Acc/Dam/Rech recipes) but with a combination of the nigh-ubiquitous expensive component (500k orange salvage) and expensive crafting fee, they are simply not worth even crafting to convert.

I thought the crafting fee may be the way to go to improve this market, but now I note that the expensive component is even more of a factor.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

(snip)

I thought the crafting fee may be the way to go to improve this market, but now I note that the expensive component is even more of a factor.

It's even less of a factor, a those can be gotten from drops, or bought via AE tickets, so your Inf cost for that is lower than you think.

Take a look at the recipes on the market. You will note that there are a considerable number are for sale in great quantities (i.e. there are 790 Call to Arms: Acc/Dam/Rech recipes) but with a combination of the nigh-ubiquitous expensive component (500k orange salvage) and expensive crafting fee, they are simply not worth even crafting to convert.

Except, now go look at Luck of the Gambler, Reactive Armor, Numina's Convalescence, Panacea, Positron's Blast, etc.

The problem isn't the crafting fees or the salvage costs. The problem, if there is one, is that there are IO sets that are clearly superior to the rest, and people don't want anything outside of those sets, and it's much more cost effective to convert uncommons in to the rare you want than rares.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

It's true that certain rare recipes are unlikely to be bought, because they're not worth crafting.  Changing crafting costs across the board does not fix that problem at all -- the reason they're not worth crafting is because you can craft uncommon recipes cheaper, and convert them into rares.

Previous to converters being added to the game, it was uncommon recipes that were nearly impossible to sell on the market.  So I'm philosophical about this problem -- sure it makes less sense that rare recipes can be harder to sell than uncommon recipes, but you're ALWAYS going to have something that won't sell well, and the current way things work with converters makes it much easier for people to get to the build they want.  Overall it's better now.

Crafting fees do not stifle the market.

Problem solved!

Tr139wy.png

Why are you doing this to another thread about the market?

The market is currently an absolute mess. The lower tier IOs aren't worth crafting because the higher tier IOs are selling for so cheap courtesy of converters.

Problem solved!

Tr139wy.png

The market is currently an absolute mess. The lower tier IOs aren't worth crafting because the higher tier IOs are selling for so cheap courtesy of converters.

How is that a mess exactly? Everything's affordable, money's easy to make. Everybody's alts are happily getting slotted without weeks of farming and marketing and saving. Seems like the opposite of a mess.

Problem solved!

Tr139wy.png

Again, not a real problem.  People can afford builds for their characters.  I don't consider this an "absolute mess", in fact it's a much healthier market than we ever had on Live.

How is that a mess exactly? Everything's affordable, money's easy to make. Everybody's alts are happily getting slotted without weeks of farming and marketing and saving. Seems like the opposite of a mess.

I CAN'T GAME THE MARKET TO MAKE BILLIONS OFF OF COMMON SALVAGE! The market is RUINED! *flails and cries* >.>

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

(snip)

It's even less of a factor, a those can be gotten from drops, or bought via AE tickets, so your Inf cost for that is lower than you think.

That is still an opportunity cost vs just selling the drops.

Problem solved!

Tr139wy.png

"Oh no the plebs can make their builds without turning CoX into a second job! Woe is me!"

"Titan/Bio scrappers are the stealthiest toons in the game."

"How's that possible? They don't have any inherent stealth and you'd never take concealment pool powers on them!"

"You see; they're perfect at stealth because nobody will notice if there's nobody to notice."

Problem solved!

Tr139wy.png

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Problem solved!

Tr139wy.png

Again, not a real problem.  People can afford builds for their characters.  I don't consider this an "absolute mess", in fact it's a much healthier market than we ever had on Live.

This!!!!!The Market on Live was super, ultra, hyper, inflated ex, +, alpha compared to Homecoming.

I remember when LOTG 7.5% recharge & similar hardcore "do want" IOs cost 100 million a pop! "Good" Purple and PVP set IOs were worth 250-300 million! I was only able to cap inf (2 billion) & make a purple'd out build for my main through focusing all my alts on the TF/SF of the week & exploiting the hell out of "The Last Conversion" along with the rest of the Triumph server, good times

*"The Last Conversion" was the only time when dealing with the market on Live was a pleasant experience.

I'm not sure I understand the OP question.  However, I do have one interesting comment: level 50 crafted IOs (not set IOs) aren't worth crafting and selling casually, even if I have the salvage to do so.  Each level 50 crafted IO costs about 4X0,000 Inf to craft with salvage in hand.  If I need the rare salvage to craft one, that's another 500K Inf to buy it.  But most of these crafted IOs are selling on the AH for less than 400,000 Inf.  So there's really no point in crafting level 50 inventions, because I'd be taking a loss to do so, with most of them.  Of course, this isn't really a bad thing, per se, as it just means I can equip my alts by just buying their non-set IOs on the AH for less than it would cost me to craft them.  It's just kind of a weird thing that people are willing to just sell them at a loss in the first place.  *shrug*

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I'm not sure I understand the OP question.  However, I do have one interesting comment: level 50 crafted IOs (not set IOs) aren't worth crafting and selling casually, even if I have the salvage to do so.  Each level 50 crafted IO costs about 4X0,000 Inf to craft with salvage in hand.  If I need the rare salvage to craft one, that's another 500K Inf to buy it.  But most of these crafted IOs are selling on the AH for less than 400,000 Inf.  So there's really no point in crafting level 50 inventions, because I'd be taking a loss to do so, with most of them.  Of course, this isn't really a bad thing, per se, as it just means I can equip my alts by just buying their non-set IOs on the AH for less than it would cost me to craft them.  It's just kind of a weird thing that people are willing to just sell them at a loss in the first place.  *shrug*

Well keep in mind most of the people selling them probably have crafting badges so the crafting cost is halved (and there's no recipe cost). Either that or they're selling them at a loss because they crafted them to get the crafting badges.

Defender Smash!

That's what the OP means.  The fees you have to pay to craft (high-level) IO's have convinced you (and others) to NOT craft those IO's, because you can still get the IO's from lower level and lower quality recipes that are much much cheaper to craft.

The crafting fees "stifle" crafting.  Not necessarily the market, but crafting in general.

However, as the other replies have tried to point out, it's very unlikely at this point in time that a large project like "revamp the crafting system" will be started by the Homecoming devs.  They're still working on modernizing the database and server software, so, "there is no problem" kinda means that it's a bit pointless to bring it up right now.

Correct me if i'm wrong but all IOs of one type are linked despite lvl so someone can craft & post for bid a lvl 10 Def IO which will fulfill any bid for a lvl 50 Def IO, In which case it will always be better to buy one off the market than to craft one.

OP seems to really be reaching here.

Our Consignment House market is very active, things are reasonably priced and plentiful. You can find anything you need there and nothing is too crazy.

What exactly is the problem? That a shitty 50 set IO might cost 500k? That's fine. 500k is nothing, it's a couple boss mobs.