Homecoming Server Update (October 1st): Closed Beta, Name Release, and CoC Updates

Widower

1 hour ago, Emerald Fusion said:

Regarding claiming an inactive name; Does the rename function on an existing character work to obtain an inactive name?  Or do we need to make a new character to obtain an inactive name?

Thanks!

From what I understand, it has to be a new name.  However, that wouldn't stop you from creating a new char, then changing their name and changing the other character name it that

• Like 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

4 hours ago, Emerald Fusion said:

Regarding claiming an inactive name; Does the rename function on an existing character work to obtain an inactive name?  Or do we need to make a new character to obtain an inactive name?

Thanks!

I seem to recall mention that no, a rename wouldn't work. You'd have to create a new character. But nothing stops you from deleting that character right after and renaming the original.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Krimson said:

We have an entire month's notice to log into characters whose names we want to keep. An ENTIRE MONTH.

This is one of the busiest times of the year for a lot of people who are working. An entire month is good, I agree, as a buffer for time, but I won’t be flabbergasted if people couldn’t make it and are understandably a bit peeved. 

It’s Q3. Q3 & 4 are hell for all sectors. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

12 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

This is one of the busiest times of the year for a lot of people who are working. An entire month is good, I agree, as a buffer for time, but I won’t be flabbergasted if people couldn’t make it and are understandably a bit peeved. 

It’s Q3. Q3 & 4 are hell for all sectors. 

Good luck then. It's October the third. I work a physical job with a disability and yet, I can spare a few seconds to log into a toon.

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

Good luck then. It's October the third. I work a physical job with a disability and yet, I can spare a few seconds to log into a toon.

I have everyone at 50, so I'm fine on my end. Plus I don't work weekends so even if I had a leveling toon I'd be fine too. Just food for thought was all.

Also, while I don't have a disability or work a physically demanding job, not everyone's disability is the same. I shouldn't need to say that but hey it is 2024 unfortunately so saying what used to just be  known is now the norm, as much as it sucks to have to do so.

I’m not even asking for any changes to the program, just for understanding even if you disagree with their assertion, and really for everyone to not just troll a thread if they come back understandably upset and vent their frustrations. Thats really it. 

I actually like the name policy myself. Very generous imo, but I get life happens and I used work as an example but there are a myriad of reasons why one can’t log in even if given a month or two’s time.

Edited by Seed22
  • Like 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

A question about the name release: does it look at the actual level of the character or the trained level of  the character.

Example: I finish power leveling an alt to 50, but the alt isn't trained to 50 yet.   Let's say the alt is still trained to level 10.  Is the name held for a year or forever?

25 alts with all the badges!

On 10/2/2024 at 2:08 PM, GM_GooglyMoogly said:

Good question!  I'm not sure but will find out and report back.  But to be extra safe, assume trained level to avoid any unfortunate misunderstanding.

Edit: After consultation, I have been advised that it is the number that appears on the character selection screen, which is TRAINED LEVEL.

It's on going.

Googly already answered that.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2024 at 2:00 PM, SakuraFrost said:

To clarify, is the name release a one time event or a permanent change moving forward? If it’s the latter could I suggest a one off, with repeated events as necessary?

When the name release policy is turned on, once a character has been idle past the set # of days based on their level the name is "released", meaning, if another player tries to use it they will be able to do so. So it's not a one-time thing, and you don't automatically lose the name if your character is idle past the cutoff. You only lose the name if someone else tries to use it.

2 hours ago, RBT said:

Would the 1.6 Billion names be freed at midnight Eastern time USA on Nov 1st?

If it's automated I would expect it to be based off UTC+0 which would put it at 8PM Eastern time on the 31st, but if it's being enabled manually it might not happen until several hours later.

• Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

• Using TFs and AE mode to bypass the AFK logout timer may result in being disconnected by a GM.
    • The intent of this addition is to give GMs the ability to use their judgement and take action if necessary on a case-by-case basis. To put it simply, you're probably fine as long as you're not causing some sort of disruption or using the functionality for some kind of gain.
    • Repeatedly disregarding a GM's warnings may result in further action.

I forget the name of the badge, but there's that one badge where you have to spend X hours logged on while in Pocket D. I regularly get that badge by starting an AE mission at the branch in Pocket D, but never actually entering it. Go to sleep, wake up the next morning, and I have that badge. Will this be prohibited from now on?

This all looks pretty rad honestly.  I've never been much of a multiboxer, since I tend to get my ass kicked even in 1-on-1 boxing matches. I don't know how you guys can multibox!

I think that treating everyone fairly is great, and that discrimination is badwrong!

I do not believe the false notion that "your ignorance is just as good as my knowledge."

The Definitive Empathy Rework

17 hours ago, RBT said:

Would the 1.6 Billion names be freed at midnight Eastern time USA on Nov 1st?

Whoa, whoa . . .  they said 1.6 MILLION.   😉

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

10 hours ago, Snowbunny said:

I'm very ecstatic about the activation of the name policy. I've made lots of costumes already in preparation to getting a couple of names I have been dying to get. 

I'm going to say "Temper your expectations." Especially depending on what the name is. If it's something... "sort of obvious," it may well be someone active who has it, or be on a 50.

We don't have a way of looking up if they're on a 50 or when they were last on, after all.

Not saying "don't try," but at the same time... don't build yourself up too much in thinking "I'm going to get THAT NAME finally!" (After all, this didn't do much on live when they ran it.)

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/1/2024 at 9:58 AM, Widower said:

Characters will be flagged as ‘inactive’ when the following time thresholds are met:

• Level 1-5 characters will be flagged as inactive if they have not been played in the last 30 days
  • Level 6-49 characters will be flagged as inactive if they have not been played in the last 365 days
  • Level 50 characters will never be flagged as inactive (with the exception of Temporal Warriors)

So i just noticed, you said temporal warriors would be exempt from the level 50 inactive policy, but I didn't see a mention anywhere of what time frame level 50 temporal warriors have for their names?

16 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:
  • Level 50 characters will never be flagged as inactive (with the exception of Temporal Warriors)

16 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

So i just noticed, you said temporal warriors would be exempt from the level 50 inactive policy

"With the exception of" means that Temporal Warriors would be subject to the Name Release Policy. Those characters count as Level 1 for the name reservation system. These characters will be flagged as inactive if they have not been played in the last 30 days.

Edited by Glacier Peak

12 hours ago, Vitaee said:

I forget the name of the badge, but there's that one badge where you have to spend X hours logged on while in Pocket D. I regularly get that badge by starting an AE mission at the branch in Pocket D, but never actually entering it. Go to sleep, wake up the next morning, and I have that badge. Will this be prohibited from now on?

I doubt you would have an issue with doing this as long as you're not standing in the way of a door or portal, but that badge (Pocket D VIP Gold Card Member) only needs one hour of being in Pocket D.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

4 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

"With the exception of" means that Temporal Warriors would be subject to the Name Release Policy. Those characters count as Level 1 for the name reservation system. These characters will be flagged as inactive if they have not been played in the last 30 days.

Ok thanks, Yeah the wording isn't clear. "with the exception of" just means to me that they're not part of the level 50 group, but wasn't really indicated on which they'd be part of, but if you're sure they're part of the 1-5 group that answers the question.