Petless Mastermind. A poor choice.

Diantane

I've only seen someone try this a few times, Since the mm's get a few blasts or similar attack, players can think they will do well using these as their only offense. But if you look on MIDS, those blasts do less damage then a Defender's secondaries. Of the five archetypes that can cast these attacks, the mm is by far the weakest. So when these petless mm's come on my hosted teams, I tell them, "Sorry, but no." The same thing I tell players that choose not to train any travel power and just use sprint to get around 🙂

Edited by Diantane
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

Paging @plainguy…..someone thinks your Petless Mastermind concept is nuts.

(Note: It -IS- nuts but you’ve obviously got your cult members thinking otherwise)

To OP: I give you the one, the only, original Petless mastermind er…..MASTERMIND on the concept.

As a personal aside, I have made an all Whips + Fighting>Punch/Kick/Crosspunch + Epic attack pool Mastermind.  It’s fun to play but I realize that I’m doing almost nothing to help the team but I look damn fancy while doing it!

Edited by Crysis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally agree (sorta) with D on a topic.  

At least until they got to the point of saying no to one joining a team.  I think petless MM are crazy, but I'd usually have no problem having them on a team with me. 

Same with no travel powers, and who uses just sprint now?  Everyone gets athletic run.  Combined with the ton of free teleport powers and base teleports, even just sprint+athletic run and as long as you know where you are going no one is going to be waiting long for anyone to get to the next mission.  Usually the holdup is people wanting to train up or shop between missions, and I don't begrudge anyone doing that either.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not joking in the least bit - this thread provided the impetus I need to finally make a petless MM, which has been on my to-do list for a while.  It will be a Beast/Marine.  I actually think it'll be decent, just finished Mids-ing it, procs errywhere.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hedgefund said:

Not joking in the least bit - this thread provided the impetus I need to finally make a petless MM, which has been on my to-do list for a while.  It will be a Beast/Marine.  I actually think it'll be decent, just finished Mids-ing it, procs errywhere.

Gonna have to agree that if you are going to make a Petless (or one Pet) Mastermind, /Marine or /Storm is likely the one to beat right now.  My Whippit Mastermind was a Demon/Storm, and I did keep and slot the Prince but only pulled him out on AV battles like a Lore pet.  But with the other /Storm powers, particularly Tornado and LS, you pretty much could just proc all your primary Whip attacks, same with your pool attacks, and at least contribute as much as a drunk Controller running on red SO’s without any accuracy in their holds.

But if I were to build one today, Whitecap procc’d out + all the other Marine Affinity goodies would be a close second choice.  Not sure I’d go with Beasts MM attacks.

12 hours ago, Diantane said:

But if you look on MIDS

How about just play the game? You make these threads over and over about how everyone should play a certain way (your way) and this powerset or that Archetype is awful - based on your posts on these forums I don't think you even play this game anymore. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 10/6/2024 at 8:50 PM, Glacier Peak said:

How about just play the game? You make these threads over and over about how everyone should play a certain way (your way) and this powerset or that Archetype is awful - based on your posts on these forums I don't think you even play this game anymore. 

After making 208 alts, I play this game much less than when I was new to it. Its getting mighty hard to come up with a character that I haven't played yet.

On 10/6/2024 at 8:50 PM, Glacier Peak said:

My little brother once told me, "Why don't you just play the game like everyone else?" Its not me. I like to figure out the math behind the character.

Back when we were playing Asherons Call, My brother, his friends and I went into a high level dungeon. My level was much lower than theirs. We were attacked by a large mob and most everyone died. They were standing by the "lifestone" talking about the battle. Then my brother noticed that I wasn't among them. He asked where I was. Told them that I didn't die. That I was still in the dungeon having fun with the creatures (fooling them because I understood their AI (artificial intelligence).

6 hours ago, Diantane said:

My little brother once told me, "Why don't you just play the game like everyone else?" Its not me. I like to figure out the math behind the character.

Back when we were playing Asherons Call, My brother, his friends and I went into a high level dungeon. My level was much lower than theirs. We were attacked by a large mob and most everyone died. They were standing by the "lifestone" talking about the battle. Then my brother noticed that I wasn't among them. He asked where I was. Told them that I didn't die. That I was still in the dungeon having fun with the creatures (fooling them because I understood their AI (artificial intelligence).

Did you...did you really just brag about surviving a wipe?

This thread is more obnoxious than petless masterminds are. I can't say outside of like 3star or 4star content I check builds, at all. This game isn't hard enough to metagame like that, I have plenty of characters that can carry a team so you know like I dont mind doing a +4 ITF with a bunch of 35s and my one slotted 50 carrying the team. I can't imagine I would notice before partway into the TF that they weren't using pets to kick them before starting something anyway. 

If youre kicking petless masterminds from a like basic TF? Posi/yin/numina/etc? That's just pointless. Who cares?

Also seriously wtf how are you seriously bragging about like understanding npc ai and surviving a wipe you sound 13. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Diantane said:

After making 208 alts, I play this game much less than when I was new to it. Its getting mighty hard to come up with a character that I haven't played yet.

We all hit that point. It simply becomes a case of playing what you like or simply moving on. I prefer taking breaks. I also prefer just keeping the builds I most want to play. Right now that's around under 35. I can't begin to imagine the number of builds I have deleted during my time playing CoH.

Also, as someone who ran a SG on Live, I have never prevented someone from being on my team due to their build. CoH is not a min/max type of game. I've literally done a TF in short order on a team while Level 27 and nothing slotted. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

On 10/6/2024 at 7:43 AM, Diantane said:

I've only seen someone try this a few times, Since the mm's get a few blasts or similar attack, players can think they will do well using these as their only offense. But if you look on MIDS, those blasts do less damage then a Defender's secondaries. Of the five archetypes that can cast these attacks, the mm is by far the weakest. So when these petless mm's come on my hosted teams, I tell them, "Sorry, but no." The same thing I tell players that choose not to train any travel power and just use sprint to get around 🙂

If you can't get it done with a single petless mastermind on your team, you need to boot yourself for incompetence, instead.  Unless you're talking about an entire team of them, of course (but that scenario seems so unlikely as to be ridiculous, so... yeah).

1 hour ago, Triumphant said:

If you can't get it done with a single petless mastermind on your team, you need to boot yourself for incompetence, instead.  Unless you're talking about an entire team of them, of course (but that scenario seems so unlikely as to be ridiculous, so... yeah).

I am happy coh continues to foster the spirit of inclusion I have loved since live.

On 10/6/2024 at 8:43 AM, Diantane said:

So when these petless mm's come on my hosted teams, I tell them, "Sorry, but no."

I sure hope your character is so well optimized that they can solo +4/x8, because I feel like you'll be doing a lot of that...

I also want to add that, as far as I am concerned, as long as you are contributing, I don't really care what you play.  On top of that, MMs are the only way to have whip attacks, or if you want support powers with the various bird attacks from beasts.  They're also the only AT that gets dark blasts that summon ghosts.

Edited by biostem
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 2

2 hours ago, Triumphant said:

NOW I want an all Petless Mastermind ITF!  Maybe even a 2-Star ITF!  So much derping to be had!

• Haha 1
  • Microphone 1

9 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

With all the high damage aoes that the end mobs throw out, you either become a petless MM or a Resummoning Pets MM.

With /Marine Affinity and either Bots or Mercs I’m just not finding that to be true any longer.  Yes on a speed run sometimes lose one or two but in almost everything else /MA is an amazing set to keep the pets alive.

On 10/9/2024 at 4:21 PM, Crysis said:

NOW I want an all Petless Mastermind ITF!  Maybe even a 2-Star ITF!  So much derping to be had!

Now that would be an interesting challenge.  Actually, some nut has probably already done this.  If I was patient enough to scroll through the forums with the search engine, I could probably find a topic about it. 😝

On 10/9/2024 at 10:18 PM, biostem said:

On top of that, MMs are the only way to have whip attacks, or if you want support powers with the various bird attacks from beasts.  They're also the only AT that gets dark blasts that summon ghosts.

i think there are more mm-only powers.ele has a aoe dmg/rec/reg debuff you cant find on def corr or controller