Displaying first appearance of character?

Ukase

image.png.d20ccb300628ec47f252864117786329.png

What gives with this? I always thought the day the character was created was a bit like a birthdays. 

Why do I have to click to have this display, instead of the other way around? 
Is there an option I missed I was supposed to check? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

46 minutes ago, Hedgefund said:

Opting out of privacy is a standard practice now.  This was a good implementation choice.

Privacy? It's when a character was created, not the player's address or favorite color. Hardly something to be kept private. 
It should be public by default, and if folks want to be all secretive and private, let them toggle it hidden. 

It's fine to have a choice. But the implementation is the opposite of the better way. But that's just my opinion. Now I have to toggle it on every character I play. I have to be inconvenienced because some folks want to keep this minute detail private? That makes zero sense to me. I do not understand why this would be something to keep private. Again, if that's what you want to do fine. But it seems to me the implementation should be the other way around. 

Won't be the first time this game did something that made zero sense to me. Won't be the last. 

I've got to add this, because, why not? 
Someone had to be irritated/irked/annoyed at having the day their character was created on display for this change to have been made. And they presumably made some sort of cohesive argument for it to be changed. 

I am stretching my brain trying to determine why they don't want it displayed, and all I can think of are the judgements that someone might have, when looking at team comp for something like a master of TF run. A leader looking at a players info and seeing they just were created yesterday, they don't feel so good about the character, thinking they're a noob or something because they were literally born yesterday. 
In some cases, that's a vet player who just pl'd. Fairly meaningless. I do not get it. 

Edited by Ukase
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I personally don't care but I have seen players express their want to have this info hidden.  This privacy matters to them, .  I am deeply sorry though for the inconvenience you're going to suffer to (checks notes) click a button.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Microphone 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

7 minutes ago, Ukase said:

Privacy? It's when a character was created, not the player's address or favorite color. Hardly something to be kept private. 
It should be public by default, and if folks want to be all secretive and private, let them toggle it hidden. 

It's fine to have a choice. But the implementation is the opposite of the better way. But that's just my opinion. Now I have to toggle it on every character I play. I have to be inconvenienced because some folks want to keep this minute detail private? That makes zero sense to me. I do not understand why this would be something to keep private. Again, if that's what you want to do fine. But it seems to me the implementation should be the other way around. 

Won't be the first time this game did something that made zero sense to me. Won't be the last. 

There's an unfortunately vocal minority in this game that like to denigrate "farmers".  They see a level 50 on a character that's only 3 days old, and they like to call it out.

Then there's the edgelords that poke fun at years-old level 30-somethings.

Having the birthday off by default protects people from having to SPAM the ignore commands, and that kind of harassment in the first place.

11 minutes ago, Hedgefund said:

I personally don't care but I have seen players express their want to have this info hidden.  This privacy matters to them, .  I am deeply sorry though for the inconvenience you're going to suffer to (checks notes) click a button.

excellence in sarcasm award" Poster for Sale by dludesigns | Redbubble

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, JKCarrier said:

On the other hand, I don't understand why this information would be of any interest or use to anyone.

well, i will sell anything of yours for whatever i can get....

• Haha 3

So wait a second, because The AMAZING HC COMMUNITY was harassing people whose characters were farmed-up, and the solution, instead of telling the AMAZING HC COMMUNITY to actually be THE AMAZING HC COMMUNITY the solution was - buttfugging.the UI?  Brilliant!

Edited by roleki
  • Like 2
  • Moose 1

Anything you can have, we have it.  Even got a devil in the attic.

45 minutes ago, The Trouble said:

There's an unfortunately vocal minority in this game that like to denigrate "farmers".  They see a level 50 on a character that's only 3 days old, and they like to call it out.

Then there's the edgelords that poke fun at years-old level 30-somethings.

Having the birthday off by default protects people from having to SPAM the ignore commands, and that kind of harassment in the first place.

I guess that's where I'm different from folks. I might think something like that, but I would never say it. 
I just happened to notice it because I dusted off over 50 characters for the halloween event that didn't have the EB defeat badges. 
I remain proud to display that most of my characters are 4 years old or so. I even have some that are in their teens that are that old. I keep waiting for a change to regen on one of them, lol. 

I still think this was poorly implemented, no matter how sarcastic hedgefund gets. People should be proud of their character creation date no matter when it was. If people don't like it, tell 'em to kick rocks while they rub it in their chest. 

As they say on the block, "Release those nuts". 

3 minutes ago, Ukase said:

People should be proud of their character creation date no matter when it was. If people don't like it, tell 'em to kick rocks while they rub it in their chest. 

I can't tell if you're being serious.  

I might be proud of a clever name I managed to secure or a well-written bio.  I might be proud of the build, if I'm a min/maxer.  But I can't imagine why I'd care about the calendar date of the toon's creation.  No, it's not their "birthday".  In fact that's one answer: Roleplayers likely do not give half a shit about the creation date.   It is definitely not their birthday.  Imagine the shame famous roleplayer @Snarky must have felt when people didn't see "First appearance: Issue:Error! (1463-10-31)" on his toon's bio?

I am not half the roleplayer he is, and I still don't care when my toon was created.

Then again, I didn't really care whether that was displayed or not so... why am I even here?  Can we talk about Fold Space instead?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

It's fine to have a choice. But the implementation is the opposite of the better way.

Nope, generally *not* sharing information about something is the preferred way. 

Also:

2 hours ago, lemming said:

Just a theory, but I think some people don't want to display their birthdays.  Might be something to do with any servers that have been added that were running pre-HC.

Given the amount of pure vitriol that was put the way of some people, and that we're bringing some external servers into the fold....

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Hedgefund said:

I don’t particularly care about this topic but if I did I would die on the hill of THE OTHER PEOPLE CAN CLICK THAT DAMNED BUTTON

• Haha 3
  • Banjo 1

Who run Bartertown?

4 hours ago, The Trouble said:

Who would be so ultra-spiteful to denigrate someone's farming alt like that?

i agree with @Ukase that it should be on by default, it’s fun to see how long people have had their alts. i proudly wear my two main’s 2019 dates

i also find number of badges is a good way to see if someone is experienced with their alt before starting an MO run or similar

• Thumbs Up 3