What does World of Warcraft do better than Cox?

If you listen to half the people who played BFA modern Blizzard couldn't even find its own arse with a map and a flashlight. It's not even sure if you have phones.

• Haha 2

"Titan/Bio scrappers are the stealthiest toons in the game."

"How's that possible? They don't have any inherent stealth and you'd never take concealment pool powers on them!"

"You see; they're perfect at stealth because nobody will notice if there's nobody to notice."

Game balance, challenging PvE content for small and large groups, endgame progression, well-polished and distinctive class mechanics, PvP in general, and amount of available content. On the community side, WoW is basically unmatched in terms of guides, databases, wikis, and general min/maxing and quant stuff; when your community is big enough to have a hundred Arcanavilles on pure statistics, remarkable things happen.

This is by no means an exhaustive list.

World of Warcraft is typically very good at the things it tries to do. Those simply aren't the things many of us want out of a game. If you don't like Holy Trinity group dynamics in the first place, it doesn't really matter that the game implements them really well.

• Like 1

... make a profit ... :D

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Music and environmental ambience.  WoW is one of three MMOs I regularly revisit for just that reason.  I'm not claiming that the graphics are great (for the most part, they're not), but the lighting, music, use of colors, etc., often convey a "sense of place" to a degree that I just haven't experienced in CoH.

Also, combat feels faster, at least at lower levels.

That said, I generally get bored with my WoW characters by the upper 20s; CoH keeps me invested on a per-character basis for much longer.

• Like 1

Much better world.  Better lore.  Much, much better end game.  Better graphics.

Much better end game.  I know I mentioned that but in WoW leveling is just a stepping stone.  Most other games leveling IS the basis of the game and everything else is an afterthought.

I haven't played for ten years and my experience is out of date, obviously.  I would give WoW the nod in two fields.

PvP is in many ways better there, more of a thing in game.  I geared my character mostly in PvP towards the end; until they required arena wins to get the current gear.  That killed my interest.  Still discriminates something fierce against melee.

The market is more of a mini game there.  I had a racket running for a lot of my time over there.  I was a miner and blacksmith.  There was a mid tier metal - mithril, I think? - that once was a top tier crafting material, but level increases made it levelling content.  Still, anybody wanting to level their blacksmithing and armorsmithing had to craft mithril weapons and armor.  I cornered the mithril market.  Anybody who was buying mithril had to buy mine.  I'd log in a couple times a day to make sure no one was putting any on the market.  If they did I'd buy them out and raise the price.

I do not miss that raiding game at all.  A DPS warrior is an odd fish over there.  Tanking is a chore.  Repair costs make a bad community; so, of course, does PvP. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I know we're all probably a tiny bit biased but I really can't think of anything (though that might be because I never got far in wow since I never enjoyed it)

So what does WoW do better than CoX?

User Interface/Experience and Stability.

Mods are a big part of the UI/UX, but think about things like WoW's auction house, even without mods. Its better than CoX's! And don't get me started on how unreliable the last-5 loading is and always has been in CoX.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't put an objective opinion here, because I never played it.  But, I can say that the one thing that it doesn't do better is...be a super hero-based MMO.  I never had any interest in the fantasy-based games, at all.  I resisted playing Everquest with a group of my friends for years, because the genre just didn't interest me in a game.  I love me some LOTR in the movie format, but I never had the slightest desire to play a game based on it, nor by extension, WoW either.  As soon as they switched to CoH, I was right there with them!

It could be the best game in the world on paper, in all the right categories, but if the genre is unappealing, it means nothing.  As far as I'm concerned, the only real comparisons are Champions, and DCUO.  In that regard, played them both, and though they might have been prettier, they both lacked the heart, and sole that CoH always had, at least for me. 

What was no more, is REBORN!

I know we're all probably a tiny bit biased but I really can't think of anything (though that might be because I never got far in wow since I never enjoyed it)

Literally, nothing.

Yes, nothing at all, that's why it has subscriber numbers in the millions, while free CoX can't bust 100k...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Excelsior - Grey Scale 50+ Emp/Dark Def - Thermal Meltdown 50+ Rad/Fire Brute - Old Growth 50+ Plant Troll - Enrico Fermi 50+ Rad Blaster

Literally, nothing.

Yes, nothing at all, that's why it has subscriber numbers in the millions, while free CoX can't bust 100k...

Let's not forget that since this is basically a home-grown effort on steroids, and not an official release, unless one is plugged into some information source that talked about it, they would be unaware that it was back.  Since it is not in the best interest of folks running the servers to advertise, they are at just a bit of a disadvantage in that regard.  So, it's not exactly a fair comparison.  If it weren't for the articles in gaming publications, we might not have the numbers we have.  But, if they were free to advertise far and wide, I guarantee the numbers would be higher.

• Thumbs Up 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

Mission/quest variety. WoW certainly has its share of monotony but there's a lot of character to a lot of quests. After a couple of dozen levels in CoH and I really feel like I've cleaned out this office building or warehouse a long time ago.

tumblr_mru0exW1G21rqml7ao2_250.giftumblr_mru0exW1G21rqml7ao1_250.gif

In the end back in live, the thing that ultimately let me put down CoH and not pick it back up was dealing with the same mission structures and locations over and over again. The Tip missions seem to be much more inspired. More of the game should be that way.

Also, WoW's UX is generally a lot... um... smoother? I don't mean the graphics of the UI (I prefer CoH's more minimalist approach) but I mean how it presents the game content to you. CoH requires you to read a lot of the mission text to really get context. WoW is much better at delivering that more intuitively. I often feel vaguely lost in CoH as to why I'm doing what I'm doing, and I usually miss plot twists or more subtle things. I never really feel that way in WoW. Partly that's because WoW's quest text tends to be shorter and more to the point (CoH's mission writers really needed editors). But it's all in how it's presented.

• Like 1

Music, maybe graphics post-update.

To be honest not much more than that, these days. It's turned into less of an mmo and more of a sunk cost simulator. Everything about their design is meant to keep you subscribed by making everything take a long time to do.

Oh, uh. The game used to be a little better at showing instead of telling as far as story content goes, but nowdays to get any of the important parts of the story you have to read the novels, so I can't give it that anymore.

User Interface/Experience and Stability.

Mods are a big part of the UI/UX,

I experienced this as a curse that killed my interest in endgame raiding.  You're always on the clock in WoW.  Raid leaders, and probably everyone else, always knew how much damage or healing you were putting out and how much threat you had generated.  The opposite of fun.  It also means everybody knows immediately who stepped on the wrong square and the other sorts of catherding that sends players into realtime voice chat just to play the game. 

-  pretty much sums up my experience.

I might be tempted to go back and dust off that version of Heraclea.  But only if this kind of data gets hidden. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I experienced this as a curse that killed my interest in endgame raiding.  You're always on the clock in WoW.  Raid leaders, and probably everyone else, always knew how much damage or healing you were putting out and how much threat you had generated.  The opposite of fun.  It also means everybody knows immediately who stepped on the wrong square and the other sorts of catherding that sends players into realtime voice chat just to play the game. 

-  pretty much sums up my experience.

I might be tempted to go back and dust off that version of Heraclea.  But only if this kind of data gets hidden.

These things are tools.

Why gamers choose to use these tools to lord over others and beat them down rather than using them to learn and teach in a positive manner is why I am a mostly solo gamer.

So much angst and downright hate evoked over these things in the gamer community has always bothered me.

In the game stores back in the day, it was easy to avoid the toxic stores/cliches.

My buddies and I had fun calling them out on thier BS, TBH, and many a gamer (and store owner) thanked us for it.

I prefer to have fun first and mix-max second and always try to foster that.

Our human societies have this idea of punishment and beratement as a form of teaching through shame and I find it abhorrent.

It really makes me sad that so many gamers allow thier competitive nature to override their human empathy.

I'm sure it does a number of things better.

Exactly what those are will only ever be known to me through others' responses, because I don't have now, nor have I ever had any interest in playing it.

From what I could see of it via advertising, others play experiences, etc. it simply never had any appeal for me, despite the fact that I played both Ultima Online and EverQuest, which were early trailblazers in the fantasy MMO genre.