What's considered a lot of wealth in the game?

Alphabet Soup II
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

To me, wealth consists of three components:

- Fully IO'd characters that I actually play. Which really amounts to 1 (my main), but I like to pretend that it's 5 (controller, scrapper, PB, Mastermind, spider). Additionally, everything that should be attuned is attuned, and everything else is +5, whether it needs to be or not.

- 1bn Inf in cash on the main, and 250m on all other "active" characters (for inspirations, tailor, etc).

- Some kind of active money-spinner on the market so I can immediately make back whatever I spend, because I have a panic attack as soon as my Inf decreases (1bn? I sleep. 995 mil? Real sh#t).

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 10:53 AM, tinygodzilla said:

Ask, and yee shall receive....as long as you are on Excelsior

There are other servers besides Excelsior???

I don’t need a single Influence, however, I am starting to like you.😁

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

• 3 weeks later

So I have decided that 2 and a half billion is plenty. 

It allows you to fully equip your new 50 with purples, ATOs and whatever else you want in there at buy it now prices and then quickly recoup your expenses. 

Enough for me anyways.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sakai said:

So I have decided that 2 and a half billion is plenty. 

It allows you to fully equip your new 50 with purples, ATOs and whatever else you want in there at buy it now prices and then quickly recoup your expenses. 

Enough for me anyways.  

This is a good number for me as well. I spent a little more than that last week on three characters. One at buy it now fully IOd, one waiting about four hours fully IOd, the third at buy it now but I already had one purple set and both ATO sets on hand. 

• 1 year later

What a crazy question! If you have to ask, you don't have enough! 

The truth is, maybe, in this game you can have enough. That number is different for everyone.  Someone that doesn't bother with IO slotting and just uses SOs may find 100M to be quite enough. 

Ultimately, I think 100 Billion is the lower threshold for wealth in this game. If you don't have that much, you're really not even trying, are you? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Black_Assassin said:

did you reach that 100bn?

I am positive that both Yomo, myself and many, many others have well over 200 Billion, possibly more. I stopped counting at 286 Billion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

I am positive that both Yomo, myself and many, many others have well over 200 Billion, possibly more. I stopped counting at 286 Billion. 

fair play

I found myself spending too much time playing the market and not the content and so stopped. Haven't reached your 100bn lower threshold yet, so im comfortably poor 😛

• Like 2

@Black Assassin - Torchbearer

I'm under 100b. Mainly because I give a lot away, and secondarily because I take long multi-month breaks from playing. 

For those who play consistently and keep it all, it's easy to make a billion a week; only a little harder to make 3-4 billion per week (I'm in this range when I'm playing), and a solid effort would be a billion a day. So the wealthy range from HC's being up for 100 weeks now ought to be somewhere from 100b to 700b.

I don't get a chance to play-play every day, because I have a lot of short interruptions throughout my day and evening.  That said, it's the sort of thing that is superb for marketing.  I find it meditative and peaceful, and I would absolutely play the /AH game even if there wasn't the opportunity to punch Hellions in the head.  I run through my go to circuits and then check to see how supply is looking in some of the less liquid sectors.  Under ten available?  That will not do!  And so I spit out another ten, or thirty, or fifty until the next time.  I'm not working for free, but I am absolutely keeping the wheels of supply greased.  If I were able to run statistical arbitrage this easily in real life, I'd be so wealthy that I would have pet monkeys trained to type this message out for me instead of my typing it myself like some Stone-Age barbarian.

I'm pretty sure I dinged 300bn over the weekend, but verifying that would involve logging onto all my alts and, again, I don't currently have trained monkeys to do it for me.  Yet.

Who run Bartertown?

10 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I don't get a chance to play-play every day, because I have a lot of short interruptions throughout my day and evening.  That said, it's the sort of thing that is superb for marketing.  I find it meditative and peaceful, and I would absolutely play the /AH game even if there wasn't the opportunity to punch Hellions in the head.  I run through my go to circuits and then check to see how supply is looking in some of the less liquid sectors.  Under ten available?  That will not do!  And so I spit out another ten, or thirty, or fifty until the next time.  I'm not working for free, but I am absolutely keeping the wheels of supply greased.  If I were able to run statistical arbitrage this easily in real life, I'd be so wealthy that I would have pet monkeys trained to type this message out for me instead of my typing it myself like some Stone-Age barbarian.

I'm pretty sure I dinged 300bn over the weekend, but verifying that would involve logging onto all my alts and, again, I don't currently have trained monkeys to do it for me.  Yet.

thats a lot of bn's in some real long pockets 😛 probably would have done something similar myself if I was working from home from my personal pc rather than a company provided one. I shall blame my employer for lack of in-game funds 😁

@Black Assassin - Torchbearer

19 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Glad you're still here and grats on beating 300bn!!  What have I missed over the last 8 months?

Edited by Obus Form

I know I have a lot of stuff across my accounts, but I have no idea how my net compares to the titans of the ah. Also, 4 members of my family play fairly regularly, so it is not all solely mine.

1. I have 120 or so fully built purpled T4 toons, some with multiple builds.

2. If you count emps as 10 merits, I have about 650K merits across these toons. 

3. all 1200 base storage slots are mostly full of purple, ato, pvpio, and a few rares in my 3 SG bases.

4. most toons have 100mil or so inf, but a few dedicated marketers have 10bil+ in lowball bids just lurking for someone to gamble on a low listing price

2 hours ago, Gerswin said:

I know I have a lot of stuff across my accounts, but I have no idea how my net compares to the titans of the ah. Also, 4 members of my family play fairly regularly, so it is not all solely mine.

1. I have 120 or so fully built purpled T4 toons, some with multiple builds.

2. If you count emps as 10 merits, I have about 650K merits across these toons. 

3. all 1200 base storage slots are mostly full of purple, ato, pvpio, and a few rares in my 3 SG bases.

4. most toons have 100mil or so inf, but a few dedicated marketers have 10bil+ in lowball bids just lurking for someone to gamble on a low listing price

1. Call these 500 million each for a rough total of 60B

2. 650,000 at 200k each would be 130B

3. 1200 x 3 x ~12.5M each would be 45 B

4. 120 x 100M + ~3 x 10B = 42B

A conservative grand total would be around 280B or so.  Considering the imponderables and uncertainties, it could be anywhere in the range of 250-350B

Most of this is mark-to-market asset wealth, and it would be very hard to turn it into Influence in a short period. 

I thought we were talking liquid assets...hmm..if we want to calculate the worth of emps, hero, rewards, ATOs, Winter-Os, Purples, minor stuff in character email....I think my brain is bleeding. I could very well be a trillionaire. Well...maybe not. Never know how much you're gonna get for a rare salvage these days. Fast money says at least 400k. Patient money says 500k. 10's of thousands of those brain storm ideas across my 3 accounts. The 50 something of each winter-O...the 1000 or so very rare IOs. the 30 something of each ATO...

I figure you can't really tabulate that stuff until you sell it. And when you sell it, you can never really know how much it will cost you to replace it, so I don't often sell those, unless they were bought/acquired on the cheap specifically to resell. 

The value of the in-game character email is more in how much inf it saves you, rather than the worth of the trinkets within. 

Ultimately, we're all rich because we get to play for free. 

*remembers the days where 1 billion inf builds were rare on Live, and having more then 10 billion liquid was a pain, because the email system didn't exist*

I need to play more, but I'm enjoying the journey. Only two toons, both lowbies (under 30) but rocking well over 200 million inf from just playing and selling my drops. No marketeering yet though. Once I really get in the swing of playing more, and remaking my characters, I'll aim for the 100bn club.

8 hours ago, Ukase said:

I thought we were talking liquid assets...hmm..if we want to calculate the worth of emps, hero, rewards, ATOs, Winter-Os, Purples, minor stuff in character email....I think my brain is bleeding. I could very well be a trillionaire.  

It does add up fast. I keep track of mine -- at least stuff that's not slotted into builds.

I've figured we had a Trillionaire or two out there in net worth; it's not impossible, just difficult. In the two years HC has been up, if a player has been accumulating 10 Billion a week for 100 weeks, that does it. As Yomo has noted before, keeping that rate up is very hard purely from market operations; but if someone is also farming consistently, then I think it's very doable.

8 hours ago, Ukase said:

I figure you can't really tabulate that stuff until you sell it.

I think it can be done, approximately, using mark-to-market, but one has to settle on a method for reading the market price for things that aren't in one's usual market basket. I pick something like the lowest sale price I see on the list that isn't an obvious low-ball snipe, minus 20%. I feel I could get this price fairly easily for most things, and only wait a few days to do it for most items. I also don't keep big stockpiles of rarely-used items unless I'm actively buying/using/selling them. So I might have a few thousand converters or such laying about, but I know what those will go for, and how fast they'll go, too. But I don't have a collection of Panacea Uniques, for instance.

The thing with mark-to-market is we know we can't get the market price if we had to liquidate instantly, but it's okay. Today's real world super-billionaires don't have billions of dollars laying about, and they could not get billions of dollars on short notice -- their assets are typically in stocks of companies whose prices would fall dramatically if they tried to sell them quickly. You're a billionaire only until you try to cash in, and then suddenly, you're not.

I think Yomo had this in mind in the other, more recent, thread asking for people to rate the range their on-hand actual inf holdings were in. If it's asset wealth, it's not as real as liquid wealth. What counts as each to me? 

These lists are not exhaustive, mainly what comes to mind on short notice.

Liquid:

• Actual Inf on alts
  • Inf in emails to myself (instantly claimable)
  • Inf in market buy bids (instantly cancelable without fee)

Semi-Liquid Assets:

• Reward + Hero/Villain/Emp merits (reliably convertible to inf in short notice via selling converters, boosters, etc)
  • High market volume assets such as Special and Rare salvage and some Enhancements (LoTG's come to mind)

Not Liquid Assets:

• Pretty much everything else, including purples, SATOs, Hami-O's, slotted enhancements

These don't count at all:

• Account-bound items such as Incarnate salvage