Attuned Purple Sets???

HellsFury

Looking at the Auction House I see that Attuned versions of Superior Unrelenting Fury are available.  The level range for this set is simply "50".  My understanding of "Attuned" is that it adjusts the level of the IO to the level of the character with the restriction being with the level range of the IO set.  So, I am thinking an Attuned purple set is still simply a level 50.

Can someone confirm this?

11 minutes ago, HellsFury said:

Looking at the Auction House I see that Attuned versions of Superior Unrelenting Fury are available.  The level range for this set is simply "50".  My understanding of "Attuned" is that it adjusts the level of the IO to the level of the character with the restriction being with the level range of the IO set.  So, I am thinking an Attuned purple set is still simply a level 50.

Can someone confirm this?

Correct.  Don't attune purple sets, it's a waste of INF.  You're always better off boosting them instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

ATOs are always attuned. There is no such thing as a non-attuned Superior Unrelenting Fury, and the non-Superior version is also attuned. The purple version just has better stats.

For non-ATOs, there is indeed no reason to attune purples.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later
On 7/24/2019 at 10:12 PM, Hopeling said:

ATOs are always attuned. There is no such thing as a non-attuned Superior Unrelenting Fury, and the non-Superior version is also attuned. The purple version just has better stats.

For non-ATOs, there is indeed no reason to attune purples.

Sorry, I was on vacation and forgot to check back on this when I got back.

Thanks for this bit of advice, I had no idea that ATO are Attuned.  I will have to hunt down all those rules.

10 minutes ago, HellsFury said:

Sorry, I was on vacation and forgot to check back on this when I got back.

Thanks for this bit of advice, I had no idea that ATO are Attuned.  I will have to hunt down all those rules.

Be aware that the regular and superior ATOs are considered two different sets and don’t share bonuses with one another.

• Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

It's not entirely true that attuning purple IOs is worthless. When purple IOs are attuned you get the full benefit of the set bonuses every level. If your only goals are PVP. And end game content then attuned purple sets are a bad idea. But if you spend a lot of time exemplaring with lower-level Friends or supergroup members it can still be worthwhile.

It depends entirely on what you do with your time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steampunkette said:

It's not entirely true that attuning purple IOs is worthless. When purple IOs are attuned you get the full benefit of the set bonuses every level. If your only goals are PVP. And end game content then attuned purple sets are a bad idea. But if you spend a lot of time exemplaring with lower-level Friends or supergroup members it can still be worthwhile.

My understanding, and personal use of both attuned and non-attuned purple sets is the same as shown here:  https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Very_Rare_IO_Sets

Their set bonuses are available at all levels even when exemplaring to a level where the power the set is placed into is unavailable, unlike other sets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

Yes, it is entirely true.  You get the set bonus at every level on purples even if they are not attuned.  If you boost them, you also get the boosted stats (scaled to your level) and attuning prevents you from boosting.  There is literally no good reason to ever ever ever attune a purple IO.

20 hours ago, Myrmidon said:

Be aware that the regular and superior ATOs are considered two different sets and don’t share bonuses with one another.

Does this mean you can slot two of the +fury IO’s?  One from Brutes’s fury and one from Superior Brute’s Fury even though they are essentially the same unique?  Basically, you can slot two full sets of Brute’s Fury or four full sets of ATO’s?

Guardian survivor

6 minutes ago, Mr.Sinister said:

Does this mean you can slot two of the +fury IO’s?  One from Brutes’s fury and one from Superior Brute’s Fury even though they are essentially the same unique?  Basically, you can slot two full sets of Brute’s Fury or four full sets of ATO’s?

Sadly, no. It’s either the regular or the superior set, not both.

4 minutes ago, HelenCarnate said:

But you can slot 3 superior in one attack and the other 3 in a different set and double up on the 2 and 3 slot set bonuses if you don't want/need the 4-6 bonuses.

I wasn’t aware that we could do that. Thank you for the information.😁

• Like 1

This topic is perfect if I may do a little small hijacking.  I am working on a Brute I just got to level 50 and read up on Purple sets finding out that they don't give you the stats if you drop too low in levels to which I have to ask.  Is there a point in having them then outside of say maybe making one build where you stay at level 50 or never drop below 45 and then go nuts with purple sets (and kill your wallet!) while having another build for everything else?  Don't get me wrong the stats and bonus are SO do die for, but is it even worth the time and money when outside of Trials and max level arcs, you spend 95% of your time around level 35 and lower???

5 hours ago, hoodedKitsune said:

This topic is perfect if I may do a little small hijacking.  I am working on a Brute I just got to level 50 and read up on Purple sets finding out that they don't give you the stats if you drop too low in levels to which I have to ask.  Is there a point in having them then outside of say maybe making one build where you stay at level 50 or never drop below 45 and then go nuts with purple sets (and kill your wallet!) while having another build for everything else?  Don't get me wrong the stats and bonus are SO do die for, but is it even worth the time and money when outside of Trials and max level arcs, you spend 95% of your time around level 35 and lower???

Purples give great enhancement values at any level. If someone told you they don't they were misinformed. And since they're naturally attuned you can +5 them to squeeze a bit more out of them. They won't give you the same numbers at 35 as they do at 50 but that's true of anything in a system based on percentages.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hoodedKitsune said:

read up on Purple sets finding out that they don't give you the stats if you drop too low in levels

This isn't actually true. Purples keep their set bonuses even when exemplared. The enhancement values scale down below 32, but that's true for every enhancement, it's not a purple thing.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 1:53 PM, Myrmidon said:

I wasn’t aware that we could do that. Thank you for the information.😁

Look up 'frankenslot' in the wiki, and on the forums; depending on the sets you pick, it can benefit you more to slot powers 3/3 or 4/2 from two different sets, and sometimes 2/2/2 from three sets (or 3/2 for a five-slotted power). It's more complicated to do, because you have to look at what the partial set bonuses are to see where the set bonuses you want are. If you're going after the recharge bonus in a set, those are usually the 5-slot bonus, so frankenslotting for set bonus won't get you anything, but if you're five-slotting a set in a power, and you're close to the ED limits in an enhancement type, you may do better slotting, a dual or triple IO from another set -- say, if you're at 80% Acc from a set with one slot empty, then slotting an Acc/Rech IO from another set instead of a straight Acc common IO reduces the overall bonus to Acc, but doesn't waste as much of the Acc bonus to ED, while giving you a boost to Rech.

• 3 years later

So... my cousin... NOT ME... my friend - i mean my COUSIN - accidentally attuned their purple IOs. I can't stress enough that this was NOT ME!

Is there a way that I - I mean, HE - can remove the attunement so I... err... HE can level them to +5 instead???

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, cyphen said:

So... my cousin... NOT ME... my friend - i mean my COUSIN - accidentally attuned their purple IOs. I can't stress enough that this was NOT ME!

Is there a way that I - I mean, HE - can remove the attunement so I... err... HE can level them to +5 instead???

Not that I know of, but since attuned and non-attuned purples are in the same bucket, you can sell the attuned one and buy a non-attuned one.

This guide may help:  

Who run Bartertown?

On 8/13/2019 at 4:08 PM, Steampunkette said:

Oh I was under the impression even with purple sets attuned they stopped working if you exempted down. If they still work attuned that's a game changer for me. Cause I love exempting down so never us purples in my characters 

Attuning a purple is useless, but the only "bad" thing it does is prevent you from boosting them.  If you weren't going to boost the purple, there's no reason to trade them in for unattuned ones (well...  there's my OCD about having one circular enhancement surrounded by four hexagonal ones).

I generally buy things attuned and have a couple of times by habit bought my purples attuned.  It's a little annoying, but NBD.

In general, the angst people have about attuning things is way too high.  Boosting is a huge amount of resources for a very marginal benefit in most cases.  I'm not saying that there aren't some people who have money to burn and only play at level 50 and will get some benefit from boosting everything, but I think the vast majority of more casual players are best-served by attuning almost everything.  (But not purples, there's no point in attuning purples.  But also it's not a huge problem if you buy them attuned by accident).

• Like 1