recreating old heroes versus new.

Schreg

I am still in shock about this game being playable at all again.  It just so blew me away when I found out, AND when I got through the install and it worked.  The opening music actually sent chills down my spine.

I've been thinking hard about whether I want to recreate my old favorite heroes or play new ones.  I've been re-doing some of my old ones, for nostalgia sake.  But since it's been so long, I am strongly thinking about making a totally new hero as my primary. 

Has anyone else had this dilemma?

One thing is for sure, since I don't know how long this unexpected return will last, I am going to do some screen and video captures this time so that I can have them for later.  Something I never did before because I wasn't ever thinking the game was in crisis until they shut it down.

Some I've forgotten, but most I remember. The thing for me is that I've changed and grown so much as a person between 2012 and now, I don't really identify that strongly with most of my characters anymore. I see a little bit of me in each one, though. I'm finding myself making completely new characters, but I will likely give a couple of them old costumes and suits to maybe carry out the legacy.

I use to exclusively make science or tech themed heroes and villains, now I gravitate much more towards magic and the supernatural. Being much more assured in who I am has made making these characters a lot easier. I'm curious if anyone else is having similar experiences to me on this.

A mix.  I had two RP characters whose stories were not "done"  that have been recreated, though one of them was reimagined game mechanically, different powerset, same source for the powers, because I couldn't stand playing the old ones.

The other was a massively fun Storm Defender as well as an RP char, and my main after they nerfed Ice Slick for my ice/kin troller ages and ages ago

Everyone else is mostly new, characters I've come up with in the intervening time, or created once that music hit and the creative juices started boiling.

CoX was where my childhood stable of heroes and villains came to life, so mostly it's me revisiting old friends. A few CoX creations I also remade, though the part about not being the same person I was in 2012 is very much the truth. Maybe I should experiment a bit with builds and power sets.

I intentionally kept records of my old Alts for this reason. Many were on the Beta/Test server at Sunset so I have plenty that are still new concepts. Either way, I'd say both TBH.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I've been thinking hard about whether I want to recreate my old favorite heroes or play new ones.  I've been re-doing some of my old ones, for nostalgia sake.  But since it's been so long, I am strongly thinking about making a totally new hero as my primary. 

Not really when I got back into the game the first Hero that I created was basically my old Main from 15 years ago.

Sure she has a different name these days and went with Electric/Energy instead of her old Electric/Electric build, but she is still a Blapper.

As for my 2nd he looks like my main Tank from all those years ago but today he is a Brute.

I have others but the 3rd is totally new and the 4th is close to my old Fire Tank, though might reroll her since trying to get the right set of secondary powers.

But once again I am loving this game and I am not trying to rush to level 50, sure I will group up and gain some levels quickly but I like doing the missions.

On one of the servers (don't remember which offhand), someone had already taken the name I had from Beta, Raptor (Yes, I know - I'd have been more surprised if it HADN'T been taken). So I did a genderbend on him and created Raptora. Different dimensions, some things change... ;)

I'm doing a little of both. I'm remaking a handful exactly as they were (big thanks to the Titan Network for keeping City Info Tracker alive all these years) because they were really fun to play both mechanically and as characters. A few I'm tweaking (my old main works so much better as a Sentinel than a Blaster), and I'm making some entirely new ones because I'm not the same person I was 7+ years ago.

I do very much regret not having my old Mids' build data, though.

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

I might remake some of my old characters.  I don't have the costume files anymore, nor any saved builds, just memories and lots of screenshots to build off of, so I'm worried about them not feeling the same anymore, especially without all their shiny IOs.  And there's a few I might tweak anyway, like if I redid my BS/SR Scrapper, I'd probably swap to Kat/SR. 

Plus, a number of them I don't have the same connections with anymore.  Something like a third of my regular alts were heavily involved with RPs of people who moved on before the shut down, so it wouldn't feel right to go with them solo.

For now, I'm just rolling new stuff and stuff I always wanted to get to but never did.

I've remade one character, my widow, because I still really like the costume. Anything else I make will probably be new. I reimagined my plant/storm controller because I didn't like the old name anymore, for example.

Maybe I'd do more revivals if it wasn't for suddenly having every single power set and costume piece and then some available.

I intentionally kept records of my old Alts for this reason. Many were on the Beta/Test server at Sunset so I have plenty that are still new concepts. Either way, I'd say both TBH.

I did the same. I filled half a notebook with all my character’s powers, enhancements, bios, badges, costumes ... basically every detail that seemed important. The data became somewhat less comprehensive after the first 10 or so characters, but the bones are there for everyone.

My only problem at this point is that I have since moved and that notebook is entombed in one of several dozen boxes of books in a bigass storage unit. This homecoming came upon me so suddenly that I haven’t had a chance to go and literally dig it out of a mountain of crap.

But it’s a testament to the game and the mythology building it inspired that I’m gonna go do that very ridiculous thing. In the meantime, I’ll make some new faces and see what happens.

I'm doing a little of both. I'm remaking a handful exactly as they were (big thanks to the Titan Network for keeping City Info Tracker alive all these years) because they were really fun to play both mechanically and as characters. A few I'm tweaking (my old main works so much better as a Sentinel than a Blaster), and I'm making some entirely new ones because I'm not the same person I was 7+ years ago.

I do very much regret not having my old Mids' build data, though.

Thank you for reminding me! Couldn't for the life of me remember my controller's name, went on the network and there it was.

Some I've forgotten, but most I remember. The thing for me is that I've changed and grown so much as a person between 2012 and now, I don't really identify that strongly with most of my characters anymore. I see a little bit of me in each one, though. I'm finding myself making completely new characters, but I will likely give a couple of them old costumes and suits to maybe carry out the legacy.

I use to exclusively make science or tech themed heroes and villains, now I gravitate much more towards magic and the supernatural. Being much more assured in who I am has made making these characters a lot easier. I'm curious if anyone else is having similar experiences to me on this.

Pretty much the exact same for me. I won't make my former main characters again, though I did remake a couple characters I made toward the end of COH and never really got to explore.

I used to make all science or mutant characters, or at least have an even representation between the five origins; but out of all the new characters I've created, 90% have been magic. And that remaining 10% probably have some magical element to them.

So here are a few things to think of:

• Remake your originals, but progress their timeline. Just as you've changed, your characters also did.
  • Reboot your original with modified concept. Think Marvel 616 vs Ultimate Marvel vs MCU
  • Create a successor to your original character. Think DC One Million, Marvel 2099 or Batman Beyond

I am still in shock about this game being playable at all again.  It just so blew me away when I found out, AND when I got through the install and it worked.  The opening music actually sent chills down my spine.

One thing is for sure, since I don't know how long this unexpected return will last, I am going to do some screen and video captures this time so that I can have them for later.  Something I never did before because I wasn't ever thinking the game was in crisis until they shut it down.

The first character I created was the first character I created in the main game. My head cannon is that he emerged from the swirling chaotic darkness that had overwhelmed the city a bit changed though. I created a stone/stone brute instead of the original stone/stone tanker.

Like a lot of other people, holy tuna I never expected to actually be able to play this game again.

My namesake character I've recreated as before, because Kinetics is always fun as hell and Radiation is so very comic book-y. But I think some others I might be able to make the way I'd have done originally, and given my old altitis habits inevitably resurfacing I feel I'm gonna be trying out powerset combinations I never could before.

I remade my Primary character a couple of times. Kasuma was originally a Invulnerabilty/Energy Melee tank. I settled on Bio Armor / Rad Melee. He is up to lvl 28 and at the moment is an endurance hog, but I really enjoy the change in playstyle.

• Remake your originals, but progress their timeline. Just as you've changed, your characters also did.
  • Reboot your original with modified concept. Think Marvel 616 vs Ultimate Marvel vs MCU
  • Create a successor to your original character. Think DC One Million, Marvel 2099 or Batman Beyond

OR maybe

• create fusions of your old COH characters and characters you played in other games after the COH shut down (think DCs/Marvels Amalgam universe)

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

I decided to make all-new characters, but kept the same general spirit of the toons that I had back-in-the-day.

So, I'm still playing a pair of my traditional "bird-things", with designs and an SG name that refer back to the original characters that I had on Liberty and Union, but they aren't re-builds. They're original to Everlasting.

That's sort-of the best of both worlds, I think. I get to keep what had become my 'signature theme' while still making a fresh start with Amun and Anut.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I remade my main character just a little.  When I originally created him, he used Energy Melee, because it was a fast cycling powerset.  Energy Melee was then changed to be a little slower after he was higher than I wanted to reset.  So, I reset him to use the faster Electrical Melee.

His origin is Mutation, but that was only for his Stone Armor Primary.  His Secondary was set up to be of a more Tech-oriented source (robotic hands and all), so changing it from force-field bubbles to a taser/electrical field wasn't much of a change.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

It's a mix for me. I immediately recreated my namesake and a couple others close to my heart but I...actually haven't really played them much, at all. I've been enjoying trying out new power combos and ATs and new character ideas. I have always been an altoholic so that certainly hasn't changed since the game was last live!

I know for me, I was there in the last hour when the old servers went down.  I plan to build my main hero exactly as I had him on the Victory server which was a lightning/fire blaster.  I had him so tricked out, I could almost tank with him.  Also I am keeping the name the same so my old friends can find me :)  since I had over 10 level 50 toons on the old server of every type of makeup, I think my second favorite build was a Earth/Rad troller.  However, if you wanna play around with abilities and powers you have never used before, i say go for building something completely new to you!  I would assume either way you do it, you will still have hours of enjoyment knowing that CoH is very much alive :)