is it really as good as evereybody says it is

gamermikefx

Well it's free to play so...you can follow the download instructs, give it a whirl, all it's going to cost you is time after all, no money down. I will say that early levels are a bit of a slog if you're a dedicated solo player but I'd recommend going to the P2W vendor and picking up at least the prestige attacks (Sands of Mu, Ghost Slaying Axe, Blackwand/Nemesis staff (with origin bonus)) to help you through the 1-22 level range.

Edited by DR_Mechano
  • Like 1

Honestly, that is up to you. Most of the people here love the game or they wouldn't be here. A lot of us played when the original was out, so the memories carries a lot of it, but the game itself holds up really well. Other than the outdated graphics, which honestly are not that bad, the game has the absolute best character creator of any MMO ever. No game has ever come up with the powerset combinations or the costume options this game has, let alone both. So, even though whether of not the game lives up to the hype is up to you, you might as well give it a shot since it is so easy to get into.

2 minutes ago, Extor Prime said:

As a former player, I find it at the very least comfy.

I have at least three games that I bought close to when HC went public, and I haven't touched them because I'm too busy reliving the early 2000s.

The primary game that I was playing was Secret World Legends, which I have not touched since this one came back.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

1 hour ago, gamermikefx said:

if the game is a s good as everybody says

It's free.

Install it, and try it for yourself.  🙂

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

In my opinion yes, it is.  I started playing it back in issue 3 in 2004 and I played it continuously until shutdown in 2012.  In that time I tried WoW, Star Wars The Old Republic, Champions and several others but none held my attention for long while CoH was running.

The customization and power set combinations are a great bonus but what really kept me playing was the community, there just wasn't another community I found like the one here.  Very few build snobs or elitist players, this was certainly a game for the casual player and as long as you played your character decently nobody was going to give you grief because you weren't at "optimal DPS" or some such.  No "Holy Trinity" of Tank/Healer/DPS, nearly any combination of characters could handle over 90% of the content in the game and most builds could be startlingly powerful... more to the point, most AT's (Classes) simply FEEL powerful to play.

As several have mentioned, it's free so go ahead and download it and see for yourself.  If you're a solo player I'd suggest playing a Scrapper or Brute since they're straightforward and have enough damage and durability to be forgiving while you're learning the game.  I would NOT suggest playing a "Healer" since that play style isn't needed or looked for.  Buffs and Debuffs are many times more powerful here than in most games and are far more beneficial to a team than simple healing.

As far as powerset choices, most of them are quite functional so pick ones that sound fun.  If you want to change your powers (the individual powers you pick as you level, not the power sets themselves) you get a free respec every 10 levels so you can rebuild your character and grab this power in place of that one.  Most people you run across will be happy to help you if you have questions.

• Like 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

10 hours ago, gamermikefx said:

just wanted to know

You're asking a subjective question that no one can accurately answer for you but yourself because we do not know the workings of your mind in what you like, dislike etc.

As others have said(and perplexing that you haven't tried it before posting this thread, simply download and start the game and see for yourself if it matches you or not.

Edited by Sanguinesun

Pros:

• It's basically Sims: Superheroes, the character customization is simply amazing
  • Very casual time commitment can get you far
  • No need to have deep knowledge of game mechanics
  • Basically any kind of team combination works
  • Your characters can become movie level superheroes if you make a great build

Cons:

• There isn't all that much to do for a really hardcore player
  • The PvP scene isn't big and it's a very acquired taste
  • You can notice that the game is old, but at least it has aged pretty well

For me the cons don't really matter as I play other games for the hardcore/PvP content. I don't have a magical orb that would tell me if you're going to like it or not, but I suggest trying it out because the game is free. That's the easiest way of finding out.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Lets not forget the aspect of the game that allows one to play just fine whether they are just slotting regular enhancements, crafted I/O enhancements, or I/O sets/bonus sets.  Granted, you can increase your effectiveness by diving deep on the set bonus stuff, but you can play just fine if you are not into it on that level.  Many other games seem to force you into the ultimate power route to do some of the later content in the game, whereas CoH has never been like that. 

If you want to have a farm character, it's kind of necessary.  But, for regular content, you can do it however ya like, and still enjoy the game.  But, to answer the basic question of this thread, yeah!  I believe it really is as good as everyone says.  However, that doesn't necessarily mean that you will find it the only game you will want to play, as so many of us do.  But, you won't know unless you try.  Also, don't be afraid to read guides, or ask for help in-game.  Many don't give the game a decent chance by getting frustrated early on, and never reaching out.  This is a fantastic community, and they like nothing more than helping folks understand what they are doing, and loving it more when they really hit their groove.  Hopefully, you will feel that way.  But, if you need help, and can't find any, give me a shout!  I'll help ya!  But, be warned, my enthusiasm for the game is infectious, so if you call on me, you might be stuck here forever afterward! 😎😉

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 1

What was no more, is REBORN!

14 hours ago, gamermikefx said:

just wanted to know

Once again, I'm going to go a little bit against the norm here and give a different answer from the rest. because once again, the quick and easy points have already been made: awesome character creation, play holding up against the test of time so far, free to give it a try, cool base editor, awesome crowd to play with, etc, etc, etc.

Instead, let me point something out here:

We are here, on this forum today because in the six years since the game was pulled offline from live, vast groups of people have devoted countless money and man-hours of grueling work attempting to: back engineer the programing in efforts to recreate the game, program new games hopefully similar enough to satisfy people, and/or skirted the line of the law close enough to measure with a microscope in an attempt to preserve it over the course of more than six years.

Furthermore, even after those six years of being offline, servers that have come online since the code "escaped into the wild" (so to speak), the player base exploded into almost 100,000 players in just a few weeks.

Calls for donations so far that various groups have made in order to help keep those servers online are still meeting their goals within minutes.

Here at Homecoming, there was a great deal of anger from players at first because many felt that they weren't being given the chance to donate.

Given all of this, I'm fairly certain that it's at least marginally safe to say that there are indeed many people who have determined that this game doesn't exactly suck.

Whether or not you, in particular, may indeed come to the same conclusion- well, only trial and error will answer of course, but as you click the "Download" button, do rest easy in the knowledge that all of the previous facts mentioned are confirmation that many have found it worthy.

In other words: Given all of those facts, there just ain't no way, it can all just be hype!

🙃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 8/15/2019 at 7:31 PM, gamermikefx said:

if the game is a s good as everybody says

I bought a lifetime subscription to Champions Online when it came out.  On paper, it is the superior game, yet here I am, playing this one over that.  No doubt part of that is nostalgia, but I do genuinely believe that City of Heroes is a great game...

• Like 1

Well I think you'll get a resounding yes from people here because we're all playing (I think).  I doubt people would play a game they didn't like.

For me, it is.  When I heard COH was returning I was happy but wondered how much of it was nostalgia.  I didn't stick it out till server shutdown.  I think I stopped playing maybe 2009, maybe 2010.  But now, I play COH more than any game at the moment and have been since I found out about Homecoming.  If it were nostalgia only I think it would have worn off a bit ago for me.

Now if your question is about something else, then... er... n/m everything I just typed.  🙂

• Like 2