Windows 10

TinaNoire

Hey All!

Mistress Noire here from Guardian back in the day

I need to upgrade my computer since Windows 7 wont have support after the end of the year

Does windows 10 run homecoming okay?

and I can download it again from this website I am guessing?

Sorry if this doesn't go here but I wasn't sure where else to put this

and I been trying to find answers between writing down and backing up my hard drive and my brain is a mess with to many things to do at once

I thought I just go ahead and ask these questions here lol

Thanks!

2 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

No issues at all running on three windows 10 boxes,  the only suggestion make sure you install the game in a non system folder (mine is in C:/Homecoming/) to avoid lots of windows security popups

Not installing the game in a non-system folder is the key.  The two main issues people have with Homecoming on Windows 10 are from either stringent anti-viruses, or from installing Tequila into a systems folder like Documents, Downloads, or C:\Program Files.  Install it to something like C:\Homecoming or D:\CoH.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tnoire said:

Absolutely yes🙂

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

While official Microsoft support for Win 7 ends next year, the program itself will not suddenly stop working.

It will work next year, and for years to come, exactly as it does now.

And any "critical" security issues will still get patches even after the "official" support ends.

I am running Win 7 and plan to do so as long as it will do what I need. I hate Win 10.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Pengatron said:

I am running Win 7 and plan to do so as long as it will do what I need. I hate Win 10.

I happened upon the end of support reminder (had completely forgotten about it) just a couple days ago, spent some time idly wondering if I would upgrade. Then on the next day, first message I see on the Homecoming Discord is someone saying Windows 10 shut down his computer for an update while he was playing CoH.

Apologists will do their thing, but it's not like I'm looking for reasons to dislike a free upgrade. The reasons come out on their own, from casually listening to Win10 users.

(I've never considered "it's not that bad if you do this fix, that fix, turn off this hidden setting and this even more hidden setting, run this registry hack..." to be a valid rebuttal either. If you have product A which works out of the box, and product B which needs tweaks to work, then product B is worse.)

Oh well.

Edited by nihilii
  • Like 1

No apologist here. I’ve been running Windows 10 daily on multiple boxes playing countless games and running productivity software. Not once has Windows 10 automatically shut down anything I’ve been working on. And I suspect if that actually did happen to someone it was because their system was so out-of-date that Windows 10 was pleading for mercy and had no choice. xD

But seriously, keep your system (any system) up-to-date and it will generally treat you just fine (with the extremely exceptional need for a roll back).

• Like 1

I work in IT and essentially spend far too much time being on a PC. I use two PCs within a day which use Win 10. I'm tempted to get another memory card for my Raspberry pi and stick a IoT copy of it on there. I have no qualms. I feel like going to Win 7 was the bigger jump.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:37 PM, Pengatron said:

While official Microsoft support for Win 7 ends next year, the program itself will not suddenly stop working.

It will work next year, and for years to come, exactly as it does now.

And any "critical" security issues will still get patches even after the "official" support ends.

You could realistically run any app you wish on a Win7 machine without worry so long as you don't go much of anywhere online or check email on the device. Reason being, those are the two primary vectors of attack for someone who chooses to do so. There are others, but generally, if someone wanted a Win7 machine just for the game, then it would be fine. Granted, you'll have to deal with the 60-90s character screen issue, but no need to upgrade what works.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

1 minute ago, WanderingAries said:

no need to upgrade what works.

... you sound like a guy I ran into on 2K's forums, who complained bitterly - and at great length - that Civilization VI was not slated to run on Windows XP.

XP for chrissakes ...!

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:10 PM, nihilii said:

Then on the next day, first message I see on the Homecoming Discord is someone saying Windows 10 shut down his computer for an update while he was playing CoH.

I still like 7 better, but 10 is more compatible/easier to install things like printers.

The issue you pointed out is likely user related. Specifically, you can set "working hours" that it's not allowed to update during (default 8a-5p). It WILL download, but not update/restart...Unless you've been ignoring a Feature update that has things like high priority patches like the ones in the news. Those you can only push off so long before it warns you it'll happen (to restart and install). To Solve this "problem" it gives you the option to schedule the update.

• Like 2

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

1 minute ago, PaxArcana said:

... you sound like a guy I ran into on 2K's forums, who complained bitterly - and at great length - that Civilization VI was not slated to run on Windows XP.

XP for chrissakes ...!

When This game came out, XP was big with Vista/7 shortly down the road. Until negotiations proceed the way many would dream of, then I doubt compatibility will push the need for players to "need to upgrade" as there's no incentive for the current devs to do so. Often we see threads like "will this run?", "what should I buy just for the game?", or "do I need to upgrade?" and the answers seem to vary, but when it comes down to it, if it's ONLY for this game, the "potato" term wins.

By all means, if you're playing on your "main", "work", or otherwise should be up to date system, then yes, keep that thing patched so you stay safe and secure online, and upgrade as far as your system can handle. Something people don't realize is that with each Feature update (as with MacOS), the OS requirements slide higher/more modern and eventually to the point that devices that could handle the release version of Win10 can no longer handle the current version of Win10.

I was more commenting on the general and nonspecific (seeming) attitude of "oh my god never upgrade it is the evil".  🙂

On 9/3/2019 at 5:01 AM, Tnoire said:

Hey All!

Mistress Noire here from Guardian back in the day

I need to upgrade my computer since Windows 7 wont have support after the end of the year

and I can download it again from this website I am guessing?

Sorry if this doesn't go here but I wasn't sure where else to put this

and I been trying to find answers between writing down and backing up my hard drive and my brain is a mess with to many things to do at once

I thought I just go ahead and ask these questions here lol

Thanks!

CoH runs quite well on Windows 10.  As others have pointed out, just copy the entire install directory and paste it into a generic folder on one of your hard drives.  Depending upon your computer's specs, you should be able to upgrade to Windows 10 without much issue.  Cheers!

if you start running the 64 bit of game you may on the fist time get a error of a missing file. may need to install Microsoft virtual studio 64 bit files. To save yourself some time now and ;atter use the microsoft free windows 10 restore tool. it let you make a bootable usb stick for free. all you have to do once a year is update the usb stick when windows changes the version of windows 10. also download and put the coh installer files onto a usb stick. also before you install windows 10 run intel free driver tool. print out the main drivers for your mb. download the mb chipset the sound card and network and video card drivers onto a usb stick. make sure there the newest drivers for your pc. windows 10 if it has your network drivers will install the drivers during the install and then on first boot register your digitial info with microsoft and then download any missing drivers that it can. after you install the drivers and reboot let windows update itself and install or make sure your windows anti virus is on and working.

On 9/3/2019 at 2:10 PM, nihilii said:

first message I see on the Homecoming Discord is someone saying Windows 10 shut down his computer for an update while he was playing CoH.

Either he had some ( not even remotely hidden ) setting messed up or he's lying. Because I've never had WIndows 10 shut down my computer without warning and an option to postpone.

If Windows 2000 Professional was updated with a 64 bit version that continued to get support for security patches and device drivers for today's hardware, I'd use that in a hot minute.  It was the best OS that Microsoft produced, along with the best Windows interface.  I used it from 2000 until Windows Vista Service Pack 1 in 2008, and still miss the interface to this day. 

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:34 PM, PaxArcana said:

I was more commenting on the general and nonspecific (seeming) attitude of "oh my god never upgrade it is the evil".  🙂

Oh you mean like all the Mac purists in my FB groups...yeah, no...not unless it has a purpose that doesn't involve Information Security vulnerabilities.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:03 PM, biostem said:

CoH runs quite well on Windows 10.  As others have pointed out, just copy the entire install directory and paste it into a generic folder on one of your hard drives.  Depending upon your computer's specs, you should be able to upgrade to Windows 10 without much issue.  Cheers!

I literally dropped my Win7 install onto my Win10 device and besides some UI adjustments / Tequila file recheck, everything ran fine.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:37 PM, Apparition said:

If Windows 2000 Professional was updated with a 64 bit version that continued to get support for security patches and device drivers for today's hardware, I'd use that in a hot minute.  It was the best OS that Microsoft produced, along with the best Windows interface.  I used it from 2000 until Windows Vista Service Pack 1 in 2008, and still miss the interface to this day. 

Wasn't XP and 2k basically on the same codebase only 2k wasn't as game compatible? It's been a while since I've been OS info-diving.

Just now, WanderingAries said:

Wasn't XP and 2k basically on the same codebase only 2k wasn't as game compatible? It's been a while since I've been OS info-diving.

IIRC, Windows XP was an outgrowth/evolution of Windows 95/98, while Windows 2000 was more based upon Windows NT.