What is Titan Weapons like for Tankers?

TheGentlemanGhostronaut

It's the most damaging secondary. It's beautiful. It's awesome.

One of the arguable drawbacks of TW on other ATs is that you might get locked in a slow animation while taking a lot of damage, which might lead you to faceplant sometimes.

A Tanker has enough survivability to use TW without ever worrying.

Plus, with Bruising on Defensive Sweep, you're highly incentivized to spam that little cone for +15% melee defense.

My SR/TW *skipped Follow Through*, one of the best ST attacks, and still soloed Honoree in the LGTF finale. Took no more than a few minutes. You know... Dull Pain having, Unstoppable popping Honoree. It blew my mind at the time.

Playing a TW tanker feels like having a solid middle range Brute primary on top of Tanker mitigation.

Edited by nihilii
  • Like 1

It's like getting a big old sundae with all the fixins... three kinds of ice cream, peanuts, chocolate syrup, pineapple, whipped cream, sprinkles and a cherry on top.

And then smashing it into Robert DeNiro's face.

It's just all around amazing and great fun, but a lot of work.

Edited by Frostweaver
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Titan Weapons is, IMHO, the tanker secondary. It starts out slow until you get enough attacks to capitalize on Momentum. I have also found that Titan Weapons requires a strategic approach  in that you need to be aware of where you are standing in relation to the mobs in order to take full advantage of your cone attacks. This requires some readjustment during battles.

I recently hit 50 on my Inv/TW tanker and have personally found that setting up my power tray as outlined below allows me to easily swap between group and single target fighting but YMMV.

1 - Defensive Sweep
2 - Titan Sweep

3 - Whirling Smash

4 - Crushing Blow

5 - Rend Armor

6 - Follow Through

7 - Arc of Destruction

I thought of moving Arc of Destruction into the #4 slot and shifting the single target attacks but I don't find the current set up all that confounding.

• Like 1

"As Nintova suggests, you can treat a tanker like a melee controller."

- Heraclea

21 hours ago, JCMcBoo said:

1 - Defensive Sweep
2 - Titan Sweep

3 - Whirling Smash

4 - Crushing Blow

5 - Rend Armor

6 - Follow Through

7 - Arc of Destruction

Arc of Destruction is your highest damaging AoE attack and it really merits a higher spot on that rotation. The way I have it set up on my scrapper (although bear in mind that I am playing around a critical strikes proc in Titan Sweep) is:
1 - Titan Sweep
2 - Arc of Destruction
3 - Whirling Smash
4 - Defensive Sweep
5 - Rend Armor
6 - Follow Through
7 - Crushing Blow

I rarely even use Defensive Sweep, although I used to extensively in my #1 slot all through the leveling process. It's mostly there to open fights when a large group is incoming to bolster my melee defenses or when another groups adds into the group I am fighting (it's not even slotted, just with a single Luck of the Gambler +haste).
I like having TS, AoD and WS next to each other in the rotation because they all have a sick knockdown effect and I like to see the mobs get smacked down over and over XD
For the single target part of the I open with Rend Armor because it has a -def component to it and I want the other 2 powers to benefit from it.

My initial rotation pre 50 was:
1 - DS
2 - TS
3 - AoD
4 - WS
5 - RA
6 - FT
7 - CB (This was the last attack I picked up from the set at level 44)

Edited by Seigmoraig
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Seigmoraig said:

Arc of Destruction is your highest damaging AoE attack and it really merits a higher spot on that rotation.

I was listing the grouping in my power tray rather than my actual attack rotation. After getting AoD my attack rotation became:

TS, DS, WS, AoD, reposition for maximum impact and repeat until I get down to a single target when I switch to my single target attacks RA, FT, CB and AoD if necessary. 

The power tray grouping just makes it easier to switch from group fighting to  toe to toe fighting on the fly.

- Heraclea

On 10/1/2019 at 2:27 PM, IronJuke said:

If you want Fast, Fast, Fast Animation, take Katana.  Not sure how it stacks up vs. Titan Weapons, but it's one of higher damage powersets.

I have a pirate themed SR/Katana tanker currently at level 34 and it's been a blast so far. The only thing that I noticed is that Divine Avalanche doesn't appear to stack for tankers like it does for brutes and scrappers.

Edited by JCMcBoo
  • Like 1

- Heraclea

You really want to know what Titan Weapons is like for Tankers? 

Well, its really quite simple.  It's kinda like...

"Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight
Gonna grab some afternoon delight
My motto's always been 'when it's right, it's right'
Why wait until the middle of a cold dark night?
When everything's a little clearer in the light of day
And we know the night is always gonna be there any way

Thinkin' of you's workin' up my appetite
Looking forward to a little afternoon delight
Rubbin' sticks and stones together makes the sparks ingite
And the thought of lovin' you is getting so exciting
Sky rockets in flight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight
Afternoon delight"

Ok, maybe not that good but maybe close. 

"Afternoon delight!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

more like:

Well I been workin' in a coal mine
Goin' down, down
Workin' in a coal mine
Whew! About to slip down

Well I been workin' in a coal mine
Goin' down, down
Workin' in a coal mine
Whew! About to slip down

Five o'clock in the mornin'
I'm up before the sun
When my work day is over
I'm too tired for havin' fun

I been workin' in a coal mine
Goin' down, down
Workin' in a coal mine
Whew! About to slip down

• Haha 1

Titan Weapons is on complete opposites with Brutes and Tankers. My dislike of TW on Brutes is as colourful and passionate as the result of an Ipecac cocktail drunk from a bucket. On Tankers, it's bloody brilliant.

Brutes need to go go go, which makes TW a nightmare of endurance and slow animation until way too late in the game for anyone who isn't powerlevelling to a point where IO's can fix everything.

Tankers.... don't give a shit. They can go at whatever pace they damn well please, you expect them to be slow anyway, and when something whiffs and you don't have Momentum, you don't care because you're a Tanker and won't die. Ever.

The Tanker can just enjoy the greater level of carnage, but the Brute has to be frustrated with the bumpy ride.

Edited by SaintD
  • Like 2

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

Really like /Titan on my Stone Tank. Start with Defensive Sweep for more +Def and keep rocking.

I took all the attacks. I open up with the AoE chain to keep everything bouncing. Once Bosses and up are left, I switch to Singe Target chain.

AoE Chain:  Defensive > Whirling > Arc > Defensive > Titan

Single Target Chain:  Defensive  > Titan > Rend > Crushing > Follow

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 1:27 AM, SaintD said:

Titan Weapons is on complete opposites with Brutes and Tankers. My dislike of TW on Brutes is as colourful and passionate as the result of an Ipecac cocktail drunk from a bucket. On Tankers, it's bloody brilliant.

Brutes need to go go go, which makes TW a nightmare of endurance and slow animation until way too late in the game for anyone who isn't powerlevelling to a point where IO's can fix everything.

Tankers.... don't give a shit. They can go at whatever pace they damn well please, you expect them to be slow anyway, and when something whiffs and you don't have Momentum, you don't care because you're a Tanker and won't die. Ever.

The Tanker can just enjoy the greater level of carnage, but the Brute has to be frustrated with the bumpy ride.

Man, I really wish I'd known this before I leveled my TW/Rad Brute to 50 and then abandoned her out of frustration. Should have done her as a Tank, I see.

• Like 1

You want a set and forget primary with endurance help.  Willpower and TW make a fine combination. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

• 4 weeks later
On 10/7/2019 at 1:39 PM, JCMcBoo said:

Titan Weapons is, IMHO, the tanker secondary. It starts out slow until you get enough attacks to capitalize on Momentum. I have also found that Titan Weapons requires a strategic approach  in that you need to be aware of where you are standing in relation to the mobs in order to take full advantage of your cone attacks. This requires some readjustment during battles.

Tankers also have to be strategic about when to *stop* attacking with TW. 

When the spawn's whittled down and your 7 teammates are competing to finish off the last boss or the last 2 or 3 critters and you ran out of momentum, you have to have the character strength to stop attacking and run away (to the next spawn) instead of starting another swing and then being stuck in animation for a few seconds after the critter's already been defeated and the whole team's watching you swing at nothing and the Blaster is already heading off to nuke the next spawn.

You'd think people would learn this by the end of their second DFB but it's amazing how many TW tanks think it's their duty to defeat every last critter. Even though almost everyone else on the team can defeat a minion before TW has built momentum (exaggeration for emphasis).

Don't try to defeat every single enemy yourself.  Go find big spawns and start swinging like crazy!

• Like 1

TW is the best melee set in the game hands down, and it is not slow or hard to play aside from one initial slow attack that on average is the same slowness as other slow attacks in other sets.

Use defensive sweep against more than 1 target and you are practically guarenteed momentum, thus making it a fast set that hits very hard.

On 10/12/2019 at 1:27 AM, SaintD said:

That was my experience as well on brutes, I hate TW because of my brute experience.  Never tried it on anything else.

3 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

TW is the best melee set in the game hands down, and it is not slow or hard to play aside from one initial slow attack that on average is the same slowness as other slow attacks in other sets.

That's very subjective, I believe with certain primaries, it's better than other sets.  However sets with no endurance management it can be a downright nightmare.

If you pair it with willpower or Elec Rumor it excels, but both of those have + recovery and + recharge also on Elec..

I believe it is one of the best sets but those sets almost have to meet certain criteria to get it there otherwise it's a slow clunky end hog that leaves you high and dry and stuck in long animations frequently then your end drops.

I'm not a fan of TW, I definately don't think its the best, but thats my personal preference.

I'm a die hard street justice guy now believe it or not.  lol. Before that it was psi, and before that it was rad.

You already know most of this, and I still think the outlier numbers dont add up to TW being the premium choice in every event.

I'm not trying to negate the work you have done either, in fact I wanted to help you more but have been too busy.  You have done awesome work there but it's only a brief snapshot or snippet of every situation TW could face, and the testing environment favors TW.

Until you or others run other defense sets with it that aren't optimal you really don't have a true result.

Edited by Infinitum
  • Like 1