Suggestion: Beam Assault

biostem

So this concept basically combines ranged attacks from beam rifle with modified attacks from the katana melee set.  The difference here is that the katana attacks would deal lethal and energy damage, and also benefit from the disintegration effect of beam rifle.

1. Single shot

2. Sting of the wasp

3. Disintegrate

4. Flashing steel

5. Charged up - Basically, a build-up like power, except it gives your melee attacks a 100% chance to apply the disintegration effect.

6. The lotus drops

7. Cutting beam

8. Penetrating ray

9. Lancer shot

I'd love to hear your thoughts & feedback.  Thanks!

Speak for yourself, I'd love to have a beam rifle with a Vanguard-inspired energy bayonet, with the butt stock Pummel as well. In another thread I suggested making a third melee attack with the weapon by reasoning it as a short-range, magnetically-contained beam of plasma (lighstaber, basically) held into the target with the Heavy Burst animation at melee, or slightly longer than melee, range. Possibly in a narrow 5' cone ala Headsplitter.

Edited by Shazbotacus
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Megajoule said:

Sounds like an utter nightmare of redraw, the likes of which Warframe just recently got rid of.  Draw katana, swing it, put it away, draw beam rifle, fire it, fire another attack, put rifle away...

Katana has a no redraw option.  You're really only looking at the beam rifle redraw everytime you swap from using a katana attack.

5 hours ago, Megajoule said:

Sounds like an utter nightmare of redraw, the likes of which Warframe just recently got rid of.  Draw katana, swing it, put it away, draw beam rifle, fire it, fire another attack, put rifle away...

Beam Rifle also has a no-redraw option.  Strangely enough, while katana *does* have a no-redraw option for melee ATs, it doesn't in the blaster ninja training secondary set

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TraumaTrain said:

What would be great is if the beam attack was from a pistol in the left hand and the sword attack was from a sword in the right hand.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Then we could finally have Spark Blade's powerset, Lightning Katana & Pistol.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TraumaTrain said:

What would be great is if the beam attack was from a pistol in the left hand and the sword attack was from a sword in the right hand.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

I would pay them money for a pistol and blade combination powerset.  Be perfect for a couple character ideas I had.

• Like 2

Sword and Pistol would be great for a ton of concepts... but would require an entire suite of animations.

That said... I really dislike the "Beam Rifle + Katana" style. It doesn't make any sense because there's no conceptual link between Sci-Fi Laser Rifle and Feudal Japanese Sword.

I really feel like Bayonet attacks make a lot more sense. Possibly with a "Charged up" FX around the barrel of the weapon like it's 'about' to fire off an attack but it's just a ball of energy you're stabbing into people.

2 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

I really feel like Bayonet attacks make a lot more sense. Possibly with a "Charged up" FX around the barrel of the weapon like it's 'about' to fire off an attack but it's just a ball of energy you're stabbing into people.

Or we can borrow Vanguard’s energy/hard light bayonets that I’ve been wanting for a while :^)

Add that to a rifle butt attack and a short-range plasma jet burst like I mentioned earlier and that’s three melee attacks. Maybe even make a kicking attack while still holding the weapon.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shazbotacus said:

Or we can borrow Vanguard’s energy/hard light bayonets that I’ve been wanting for a while :^)

Add that to a rifle butt attack and a short-range plasma jet burst like I mentioned earlier and that’s three melee attacks. Maybe even make a kicking attack while still holding the weapon.

Sure...? 

Could even do a "Jumpshot" where your character charges up a big burst attack and then aims it at their feet, leaps into the air, and fires downward to make the blast corruscate across the ground to zap nearby enemies.

There's lots of options. I'm just saying there are better options than trying to thematically shoehorn in a katana.

52 minutes ago, Steampunkette said:

There's lots of options. I'm just saying there are better options than trying to thematically shoehorn in a katana.

I feel you. I bring it up because one of OP's concerns was a lack of melee attacks, and I believed there were enough existing assets and animations that can be used to fill out some melee damage beyond the obvious rifle butt & bayonet.

On 10/7/2019 at 10:04 PM, biostem said:

... there aren't enough such attacks.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

That said... I really dislike the "Beam Rifle + Katana" style. It doesn't make any sense because there's no conceptual link between Sci-Fi Laser Rifle and Feudal Japanese Sword.

That's why I mentioned basically making it a "beam sword", and only using the katana powers/animations for ease of implementation;  We have various sci-fi/high-tech sword models we can use.  Heck, confine it to those if you'd like...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, biostem said:

That's why I mentioned basically making it a "beam sword", and only using the katana powers/animations for ease of implementation;  We have various sci-fi/high-tech sword models we can use.  Heck, confine it to those if you'd like...

So the set is a sword that shoots lasers?

This is an interesting concept, but wouldn't it be better to... nevermind, I've got a new assault set that I need to write up...

I'll probably move this into the compilation thread next week as I am quite busy this week.

• Like 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

5 hours ago, biostem said:

Change the weapon to the Vanguard Laser Katana and it's still a Katana. Change the name from "The Lotus Drops" to "Jumpy Spin Strike" and it's still very clearly the same stylized motion.

There's also the issue of a Two handed Rifle and a Two handed Sword. Pistol/Sword works in a dynamic combat 'cause you can dual-wield them, one-handed each. But for the Katana, even with no redraw, you're conceptually dropping or slinging the big bulky laser gun to pull out the two-handed sword, then sheathing the two-handed sword to pull out the big bulky laser gun.

It just seems too cumbersome, visually, even if we can avoid the mechanical lag.

I'd much rather see a Sword/Pistol or even a Laser-Pistol/Sword set, I think. Even with the massive animation barrier.

20 hours ago, biostem said:

The beam effects coming out of the blade with various sci-fi blades you can choose from, it could be fun.

1018926892_ScifiGunblade1.thumb.jpg.3c6e0977cf0dbeaa12d888d8a74f8b6e.jpg743277236_ScifiSword1.thumb.jpg.be1d640c8b1a76381bb32fddd87b11e6.jpg2098518135_ScifiSword4.thumb.png.c00ef68fe77d234dcfa6a6393f930c2d.png1449532136_ScifiSword6.thumb.jpg.5f1ee0522af7f2155d8248ef4501f7d6.jpg

Maybe double check that the animations do not have you holding the blade while shooting, that would be painful...

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation