New badge tracker

KeyboardKitsune

On 2/24/2024 at 7:02 AM, AboveTheChemist said:

Looks like the data was merged and the new badges I spot checked looked good, so Badger is now up-to-date. I also submitted a request to update the URLs to the HC Wiki (Badger was still using an older URL for the HC Wiki links) which was completed, so all the HC Wiki URL links from Badger should be current.

Badger has not updated with the new badges for me yet.

1 hour ago, Shadezz said:
On 2/24/2024 at 5:02 AM, AboveTheChemist said:

Looks like the data was merged and the new badges I spot checked looked good, so Badger is now up-to-date. I also submitted a request to update the URLs to the HC Wiki (Badger was still using an older URL for the HC Wiki links) which was completed, so all the HC Wiki URL links from Badger should be current.

Badger has not updated with the new badges for me yet.

Do you know you're quoting a post from 5 months ago?

AboveChemist has said they will get to updating the site with the Issue 28, Page 1 badges when they have time. It's not automatic - it takes considerable effort as only one person is doing the updates. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

The info lemming posted above is a good starting point

Yea, my block was just to let people setup a quick check to see if their logged in char has the badges.  You put in a lot more work.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

The info lemming posted above is a good starting point but it takes a LOT more information and effort to be able to update the Badger database. Some of that is raw badge information which is relatively easily obtained, like badge category, in-game text, acquisition details, prerequisites for badges that have them, and sequential display order, among other stuff. The hardest part of updating the database, though, is knowing how to update it. That includes knowing how to create the relational keys, obtaining and in some cases properly cropping the icon art, knowing how to name all the files and where they go, understanding how to populate the various fields with respect to different badge alignments, genders, and categories, and things of that nature.

Since I normally delve pretty deeply into the badge-specific info for other mods and datasets that I work on, and because I've helped with Badger since nearly the beginning, I just take it upon myself to perform the updates. Couple that with the fact that the owner of the site has been away from the game for several years at this point. While he often responds quite quickly to pull requests, I know that the time (and perhaps inclination) he has available to devote to general maintenance, and to correcting errors in pull requests, is minimal. So, I put a lot of effort into making sure that everything is as correct as possible before I submit it, so that he can approve the changes with a minimal amount of hassle.

I would certainly welcome the assistance if someone is willing to take on the task of learning what they need to know to update the database. It is not a commitment that should be taken lightly, though. I'm not going to sugar coat it to make it seem like it is easier than it is, because there is a lot to learn. But I'm willing to share what I know for anyone that might be willing.

Just for reference, given that there are 15 new badges in the latest update and some of them are a bit complex (the accolades mainly), I'd estimate it will take me at least 10-15 hours worth of work to get all of them updated.

I am absolutely willing to learn what it takes to help with this. My only "coding" experience is HTML (I know that's not actually "coding") and stealing CSS from other people. So if you can point me at something that explains what I need to learn, I'll be an enthusiastic student. I'm also an administrative assistant so have a lot of experience with helping others be successful. If there's something that it's easy for you to teach me to do, that helps you down the line, I'm happy to do that too. Whatever helps. 

Coloden.png

2 hours ago, kwsapphire said:

So if you can point me at something that explains what I need to learn, I'll be an enthusiastic student.

That is part of the problem, unfortunately, as I know of no such resource to point you to. Learning to update the database is likely going to be some combination of me passing along the info I know, and you reviewing the examples that are already in the database to see how to handle different badge nuances. The latter is quite important as I still rely on existing examples to refresh/reinforce my memory on how to set things up correctly. Coding experience shouldn't really be necessary, but the HTML experience should be helpful. Experience using GitHub would be quite helpful, but not necessary. I had never used it before getting involved with Badger.

If you are still willing to learn then perhaps we can set up a time to meet maybe over Discord or something so I can walk you through the basics.

I tried to post these on the github pages as well. I am a software engineer, familiar with JSON (which the ts files seem to be). Maybe you can train me up on making database submissions? I think these are all of the i28 things.

screenshot_240730-03-57-42.jpg

screenshot_240730-03-57-53.jpg

screenshot_240730-03-58-00.jpg

screenshot_240730-03-56-43.jpg

Edited by chuckv3
duplicate screenshots removed

TINKERERS and LEOTARDED personal supergroups on Reunion; open bases! codes TB-9014 and LT-1051

TinkerBell (MAIN) super reflexes / martial arts tanker & badge hunter; Sarabraxus, energy / energy blaster; Sarathustra, fire / therm corruptor

Scotch Bonnie / Caroline Reaper, fire/ss brutes & fire farmers; Granny Fix It / Green Granny / Great Granny, empathy/psi defenders; plus a few others.

@Xarah formerly on Champion, Triumph, Victory, now @chuckv2 / @chuckv3 / @chuckv4 on Reunion

1 hour ago, chuckv3 said:

I tried to post these on the github pages as well.

I replied on your GitHub post, and I appreciate the effort above, but I have ways of getting the badge info and icons out of the game files themselves. I am happy to try to train multiple people if we can arrange a time to meet.

On 7/30/2024 at 12:33 PM, AboveTheChemist said:

I replied on your GitHub post, and I appreciate the effort above, but I have ways of getting the badge info and icons out of the game files themselves. I am happy to try to train multiple people if we can arrange a time to meet.

I can't make any promises, because things are kind of heavy at work right now, but I write software documentation based on demos/walkthroughs/recordings a lot -- maybe I could help you put together a set of instructions. But probably not until this fall.

• Like 1

Just a heads up while you're working on adding the Issue 28 badges. At some point the names of the Architect X and Architect XXV badges were changed to Plugged In and Mission Seeker respectively and won't auto-add to characters using the log parser.

Drove me nuts for 20 minutes trying to figure out the 2 badge difference until I noticed that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

On 8/8/2024 at 10:15 PM, Derek Icelord said:

Just a heads up while you're working on adding the Issue 28 badges. At some point the names of the Architect X and Architect XXV badges were changed to Plugged In and Mission Seeker respectively and won't auto-add to characters using the log parser.

Drove me nuts for 20 minutes trying to figure out the 2 badge difference until I noticed that.

THANK YOU!!

Been trying to work out why I was two short on the list!! Couldn't seem to find the damn things! 😄

• 3 weeks later

@AboveTheChemist @KeyboardKitsune

For s&g I made a local copy of the git repository to see how hard it would be to update for the 15 new Issue 28 badges (and 2 AE badges with name changes). I think I have it done, but is there a way to preview the website locally to inspect the changes? I'm relatively new to using git.

Also, how do you determine the settitle # for badges? Is that something ATC pulls straight from the game files?

Edited by Derek Icelord

50 minutes ago, Derek Icelord said:

Is that something ATC pulls straight from the game files?

More or less, yes. It's not as simple as that, but it's not terribly complex either. I don't know of a way to preview changes on the website, unfortunately. You just have to know what you are doing and I usually double and triple check my work to make sure it is all correct.

11 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

I don't know of a way to preview changes on the website, unfortunately. You just have to know what you are doing and I usually double and triple check my work to make sure it is all correct.

Hrm. I really don't want to even suggest uploading new files if I can't double check my work. I'm used to working on straight HTML/website pages where previewing is as simple as opening the local file in your preferred browser.

The only things I'm not sure on are the settitle numbers (I know I don't know how to find those aside from trial and error in game), and the new exploration badges. The Labyrinth of Fog has no map, and thus the coordinate and VidiotMaps references don't really exist. I've cribbed from the Multidimensional and Shrouded badge for that, but I'm not 100% on it.

Edited by Derek Icelord

The only real existing check, if it can even be considered that, is existing badge files. Unless it is a dead simple badge like an exploration badge, I almost always try to find an existing badge that most closely resembles the new badge I am adding in all aspects, and I use that existing badge file as my template. There is still a certain element of knowing the system, but using an existing badge as a template will generally get you most of the way there. Of course, there is more to adding new badges than just getting the file contents right, and I look forward to being able to document some of that once I have the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coin said:

Has the Architect Badge name changes been fixed yet? I'm still stuck showing 2 less than I have!

No, but assuming you're using Badger and not City of Badgers you can manually add them to character's badge counts. Architect X = Plugged In and Architect XXV = Mission Seeker.

On 8/30/2024 at 7:18 AM, AboveTheChemist said:

The only real existing check, if it can even be considered that, is existing badge files. Unless it is a dead simple badge like an exploration badge, I almost always try to find an existing badge that most closely resembles the new badge I am adding in all aspects, and I use that existing badge file as my template.

That's what I've done. I may not be a very good coder, but I can make a passable script kiddie! 😆

1 hour ago, Derek Icelord said:

No, but assuming you're using Badger and not City of Badgers you can manually add them to character's badge counts. Architect X = Plugged In and Architect XXV = Mission Seeker.

I'm using City of Badgers.......wait, am I in the wrong thread? 😄