Is Sonic good for Blasters?

drgantz

• 2 weeks later

What complicates this discussion somewhat is the addition of Lore pets, Patron pool pets, as well as league/incarnate trial content to the end game, as well as the proliferation of "proc monster" builds that can't slot for damage but benefit from -Resistance.

I don't know the exact ratio that Sonic Blast trades away in damage that it re-contributes in team effectiveness. However, it's not hard to imagine scenarios where Sonic Blast is one the most effective Blast sets. It seems to be in a pretty well balanced, decent place.

Edited by oedipus_tex

This is one of the few cases where I would say to play a Sentinel instead of a Blaster. Sentinels get a reworked T3 that hits like a truck (driven by a Sentinel though). Sentinels also get their mechanic COMPLETELY abused by Sonic's cones.

How abused? This abused:

ag6kZ1B.gif

And before anyone asks no, this is not normal behavior, this only works on a Sonic.

It also starts really early. By level 18 there are three cones that can be chained one after the other and a single use of these will fill the Sentinel's bar allowing to start with that vampiric gameplay.

I made a post about it and I still declare it to be the most fun and durable experience I had with the cones having baked in -res for the team and also baked in CC.

• Like 1

many a year ago on live one of the great  math gurus of the forums broke down the different blaster primaries of the day, and showed how theya re all within a few % of each other in general. Even the king Fire doesnt really deal much more then any other in the average game play.

However in a drawn out fight against a strong target like an AV and especially a GM then Fire and Sonic are the two undisputed kings of blaster dmg. This is because ofcourse during those fights every fire dot will run its full course, and the -Res of sonic will lead to a far great amount of dmg dealt over a longer drawn out fight.

In fact sonic/mental was basically the most powerful meta build for a blaster back on live. It was just capable of so much debuffing while offering blaster strong dmg and psy scream is basically a light nuke in the 2ndary it while still no GM soloing Offender build was capable of more then any other possible blaster combo and in the hands of the skilled player addictive power hard to not want to use all the time. In fact it was only my role play concept for ol berk that made me make a psi/ment blaster my primary and delete my own decked out sonic/ment monster. Yes I deleted many maxxed blasters over the years on live and kept only my ol berk as while psi/ment is fun, effective and never lacking it wasnt such intoxicating power that would lead me to ignore all other toons for months on end like sonic/ment was.

So yes if you play on teams, and especially if you play on higher dif settings sonic is easily one of the best options you could take as a blaster primary.

Edited by Bentley Berkeley
  • Like 1

• 11 months later
  • 1 month later
On 10/17/2019 at 7:07 PM, Frostweaver said:

Sonic is good with a large number of secondaries, but excels with strong blapper builds. Mostly cause it's -res gives the blappers enormous damage potential.

My sonic/time is kinda sick with the -regen from time and -res from sonic. Dreadful wail followed by end of time: brutal.

Can you post your build. Would love to try it out. Thx

• 4 weeks later
  • 3 months later
On 2/7/2021 at 3:41 PM, BurtHutt said:

So I also was curious about sonic on a blaster. What about the new sonic power? What would pair well with it? I do find sonic primary a bit meh on blaster. So, ?/sonic? Anyone have a build to show? 

I am currently power leveling one and will be IOing soon. I'll let you know. To me, it seems that the -res will be even more useful in groups than previous and that stacked with oppressive gloom, you will be able to get good mileage from crowd control through disorients. 

At the end of CoH I had a Sonic / Energy Blaster, and he quickly became my favorite toon. Now that the game is back, I have a Sonic / Sonic Blaster and love it. The combo has a good balance of single target and cone attacks, while sonic secondary has enough options to support solo or group play. 

Best part of CoH is that you can play with almost any combination and have a great time!

• 1 month later
9 hours ago, subbacultchas said:

Are you skipping one of the 3 sonic cones? Which one? I use them all on my defender since they can be made to work well with procs and all the -res that Sonic/TA offers.

the sleep.  shockwave is pretty neat with KB to KD in it

On 10/17/2019 at 7:07 PM, Frostweaver said:

Sonic is good with a large number of secondaries, but excels with strong blapper builds. Mostly cause it's -res gives the blappers enormous damage potential.

My sonic/time is kinda sick with the -regen from time and -res from sonic. Dreadful wail followed by end of time: brutal.

What's your rotation for that combination. I have one sitting at level 10 that i wanna work on now that I've read this lol. 

• 9 months later
On 6/2/2021 at 3:27 PM, T-Wolf said:

At the end of CoH I had a Sonic / Energy Blaster, and he quickly became my favorite toon. Now that the game is back, I have a Sonic / Sonic Blaster and love it. The combo has a good balance of single target and cone attacks, while sonic secondary has enough options to support solo or group play. 

Best part of CoH is that you can play with almost any combination and have a great time!

Had a Sonic/En Blaster on live.  It was very good.  

I'm currently L35 and counting.  I've been impressed by Sonic and Sonic Manipulation so far.  Primary Tier 1 and 2 have -res that fire quick and you can see the target melting.

Love the Tier 1 punch from Sonic Manip'.  *Hit...*Watches the mob flying along the ground....or zoom left off the camera.  That will never get old to me.  Piles of -res.  Stuns.  Holds.  Sleeps.  It's got that Ice/Ice controllery vibe.

Bosses melt.  It's butter.  Real butter.

Now, I'm ten pages into the blaster thread and no Sonic/Sonic Manip' build.  If you want something doing...

Update.

L40.  Got the big tier 9 melee sonic hitter from Manipulation.  Closest thing to a snipe.  350 Dam if x3 Slotted.  Most attacks '5' slotted.  Fitted Blaster ATOs.  1 Global Rech' in Hover.  Put Obliteration in Sonic Nova.  6x slotted.  Some nice melee def' from that.  Some acc.  Some recharge.

Tactics.  Rinse the AoEs.  Howl.  Shockwave and the one from the Sonic Manip' (which I haven't committed to memory yet.  Put a hold proc in it which is cool for proc energy cage.)    The Tier 1 and 2s really do soften up the mobs/bosses for the big hitters.  Absorb in Health from Prev' Med'.

End just becoming an issue.  Only 1x slotted in Stamina.  No stam' in the self buff yet.

Tier 2 primary and Tier 2 melee secondary give double buttter melt DoT.

I do wonder about the proc dam opportunties for Shock and Howl.

Epics are on the horizon.

What to pick.  The Bonfire Mat might buy a bit of time.  The Scorpion Shield help with S&L defence.  (Council wolves an' all that...)  Erm...  Provoke.  (A different suggestion made.  I don't have a problem provoking mobs...)  Combat Jump for some more overall defence.

Something that would buy a bit more time.  I've had the Bonfire Mat on a couple or so Blasters now.  And the time and space it creates is amazing.

Update.  L41.  I DID get Bonfire.  I will convert knockback to knockdown.  'Tank Mat.'  If I have any notions of getting Provoke, Bonfire is a must.  I also got this on my Energy Blaster and my Assault / Devices Blaster.  

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael
  • Like 1

• 3 months later

The update to Sonic greatly improves the set.   It now performs well in it's own right not just as a multiplier when on a big team.  

Personally I have a Sonic/Mental that works out for me to be a killer combo.  

Edited by FUBARczar
Autocorrect

I am sure the numbers people will have some data soon enough to be more empirical but I played my sonic/sonic and yeah there was a noticeable difference on the good side.  I couldn't tell you how impactful the -res changes were but the cast time and cool down reductions totally add up to a smoother and more satisfying experience (sexual metaphor intended).

• Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

• 1 month later

I take the t2 because i love scream animation with shout and screech, thats my st rotation. What else i take depends on the secondary but sirens song is now the biggest aoe hitter so shockwave-howl-sirens make up a nice rotation but they are all cones. DPS wise its not going to match fire/ice/elec. It may still be down there at the bottom despite the smoother/faster animations and sirens damage increase.

• 3 weeks later
On 10/11/2022 at 12:30 PM, Galamane said:

Sonics update has been out a while now, has anybody put out damage numbers or even a rotation yet?

I have a sonic/mental and the AOE in particular feels tons better. That combo was never going to be the top single-target DPS but it absolutely melts crowds now, and the ST rotation feels better even if the damage wasn’t improved too much.