Gravity Singularity & Wormhole Slotting

Lost Ninja

I really love my Singularity but I've never really slotted it heavily in the past (on Live it was pre-IOs), on HC never more than common IOs. I just hit 37 and put the last slot in the pet, I'm currently running a KB>KD IO, 2xACC 1xRecharge 1xDamage... I want more.

But what to slot?

My first thought was the +recharge from force feedback, but I have no idea if it even works in a pet (beyond the summoning). 

Would I be better off using one of the pet sets?

Also what should I slot into WH? I've read that the KB>KD IO is useful, but beyond that?

1 hour ago, Lost Ninja said:

My first thought was the +recharge from force feedback, but I have no idea if it even works in a pet (beyond the summoning). 

It won't. Or rather it might, in terms of giving Singy a Recharge buff but all pets are coded to completely ignore all Recharge buffs (even negative ones). The usual answer for any pet is 4 Recharge Intensive Pet IOs to get the 6.25% recharge set bonus. I find Expedients cheaper than Call to Arms for some bizarre reason (as Attuned IOs). Then the Overwhelming Force as it'll max out damage and give you KB2KD. 

For wormhole while levelling I like 1 Sudden Acc kb2kd and then frankenslotting in 3 Acc/Stun/Recharge IOs and maybe a Stun/Range. There aren't many useful set bonuses in the Stun sets until you hit The Land of Purples. 

• Like 1

I usually do 2-3 damage a couple accuracies and 1-2 hold duration. As for FF on a pet the only thing I found was this discussion that says it only procs when you summon the pet.

As for wormhole slotting the only time I ever find KB>KD is on teams and I rarely use it then, since they are usually moving too fast to bother with setting up such a maneuver. And if I ever did, it is usually too easy to aim them at a wall or corner where they bunch up nice. It just seems like something that would be handy on occasion but not often enough to merit giving up a slot. My 2 cents.

Singularity has insanely high accuracy to begin with, I'm pretty sure 2-3 is a waste. At baseline difficulty it does not need any accuracy, at higher difficulty uh ... maybe 1? I'm honestly not sure it needs 1 even at +3 but I'll know for sure when I get my controller up to 50. Slot it for damage, or at 50 shove 3 peroxisomes in there if you want its gravity distortion to last a long time and stack. With the remaining 2 slots I stick the pet set procs that grant resistance and defense bonuses but of course that's very much optional and depends on your play style.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

I six slotted singularity and 4 slotted wormhole.  Come to think of it, wormhole is worth at least 4-6 slots.  If you're playing gravity right (this is just my opinion) then you are abusing wormhole every time it recharges.  I use it as an opener in my grav/rad build, but it requires a lot of up close fighting.

• Like 1

I put the purple damage proc from the ATO in my singy. he uses it on two of his attacks. Decent return.

I def put the kb-KD IO in wormhole. On teams I usually pull the next spawn onto the one we are currently fighting. It works well.

These are two of my favorite powers in the entire game. 

On 11/14/2019 at 7:16 AM, Carnifax said:

The usual answer for any pet is 4 Recharge Intensive Pet IOs to get the 6.25% recharge set bonus. I find Expedients cheaper than Call to Arms for some bizarre reason (as Attuned IOs). Then the Overwhelming Force as it'll max out damage and give you KB2KD. 

For wormhole while levelling I like 1 Sudden Acc kb2kd and then frankenslotting in 3 Acc/Stun/Recharge IOs and maybe a Stun/Range. There aren't many useful set bonuses in the Stun sets until you hit The Land of Purples. 

This is pretty much how I slot mine for leveling. I do not slot the KB>KB IO into Singy, though. The reason is, I often use him to guard my back, and I like it when the baddies trying to ambush me go flying. Gives me some breathing room to react and deal with the new threat.

Once I get to 50 and get the purples going, I straight up 6-slot Singularity with Soulbound Allegiance, then just let her go to town. Wormhole gets 5-slot Absolute Amazement and the Sudden Acceleration KB>KD. Once you get that KB2KD IO in it, Wormhole really is one of the best controls in the game. Long term stun and put them where ever you want them, it really is just ridiculous.

Good hunting!

My endgame slotting for Singularity is Acc/Mez Hami, Dam/Mez Hami x2, Soulbound Allegiance Damage, and the Expediant Reinforcement and Sovereign Right resistance bonus IOs.  That gives capped Hold duration, capped Damage, and 20% extra resistance on top of Singy's already high resistances.  It is very rare for it to drop before I do.  Depending on your secondary, you might want the two Defense bonus pet IOs instead.  

Before I could slot purples and HOs, I went with 4x Call to Arms for the 6.25% recharge bonus, a Damage IO and a Hold IO.  It was still pretty darned tough even with that. 

5 minutes ago, Tomadre said:

What KB to KD do i need to slot on singy to do that, Sudden or Overwhelming?

You want Sudden Acceleration. Sudden Acceleration applies to all powers that do knockback, where Overwhelming applies only to powers that do knockback + damage.

Overwhelming is almost always better slotted into a power that does not cause knockback to take advantage of its 20% chance to knockdown.

• Like 2

So, I changed up my slotting on Singularity. I now have 4 of the Expedient Reinforcement, not including the Resist Aura, to get that recharge bonus. And then a Explosive Strike Chance for Smashing Damage. Nothing wrong with a bit more damage. I do not slot Singy for KB>KD. It really only flings opponents away if they get too close, in which case I want them flung away. And it only flings one at a time. I don't stand close to the meleers, so it has little impact on them.

6 hours ago, VV said:

And then a Explosive Strike Chance for Smashing Damage.

Note that this will only proc on powers that do Knockback/up ... and of Singularity's attacks only Lift and Repel do that.

If you want to slot a damage enhancing proc into Singularity, you want the Pet Chance for Buildup since it has a chance to proc on EVERY attack that Singularity makes and the duration of the proc is like 10 seconds (as opposed to the 5.25 seconds on the ones for your PC).  I'm thinking you'd get a lot more "mileage" out of the Build Up proc than you will out of Explosive Strike.

• Like 5

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

2 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Note that this will only proc on powers that do Knockback/up ... and of Singularity's attacks only Lift and Repel do that.

If you want to slot a damage enhancing proc into Singularity, you want the Pet Chance for Buildup since it has a chance to proc on EVERY attack that Singularity makes and the duration of the proc is like 10 seconds (as opposed to the 5.25 seconds on the ones for your PC).  I'm thinking you'd get a lot more "mileage" out of the Build Up proc than you will out of Explosive Strike.

Oh! Cool thanks for the tip!

I 6 slot both. I tend to slot 5 Overwhelming Force and 1 Sudden Acceleration KB->KD in Wormhole, and then 4 Expedient Reinforcement (for the set bonus) with the pet Build-Up proc from Soulbound Alligence, and the Overwhelming Force KB->KD with chance for KD proc.

On 11/15/2019 at 8:24 AM, CabooseCC said:

I six slotted singularity and 4 slotted wormhole.  Come to think of it, wormhole is worth at least 4-6 slots.  If you're playing gravity right (this is just my opinion) then you are abusing wormhole every time it recharges.  I use it as an opener in my grav/rad build, but it requires a lot of up close fighting.

The kind of fighting that Time is also good for.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

On 11/22/2019 at 2:18 PM, oedipus_tex said:

Overwhelming is almost always better slotted into a power that does not cause knockback to take advantage of its 20% chance to knockdown.

Or an idiot pet who does damaging knockback and other attacks *pats Phantasm on its glowing-but-empty head*

I am going to slot one into my Zombies on my mastermind for the giggles of enemies slipping over on zombie puke.

Edited by Carnifax
Edit cos me am spell gud
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 8:00 PM, Avilister said:

I 6 slot both. I tend to slot 5 Overwhelming Force and 1 Sudden Acceleration KB->KD in Wormhole, and then 4 Expedient Reinforcement (for the set bonus) with the pet Build-Up proc from Soulbound Alligence, and the Overwhelming Force KB->KD with chance for KD proc.

Why would you break up the OF set when it already comes with KB2KD as the 6th IO?  Why not keep the 6th IO in the OF set in Wormhole, and move the SA KB2KD to replace it in Singularity?  Or maybe I'm just being OCD?

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

20 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

Why would you break up the OF set when it already comes with KB2KD as the 6th IO?  Why not keep the 6th IO in the OF set in Wormhole, and move the SA KB2KD to replace it in Singularity?  Or maybe I'm just being OCD?

Well, you are, but also I was misremembering what I had slotted in Wormhole. It isn't Overwhelming Force (which isn't that great in Wormhole since Wormhole doesn't do any damage), its Overpowering Presence, the Controller ATO set (5 of it). I took the Energy Font proc and put it in Distortion Field since I tend to use that more frequently than Wormhole and that gets me more of the Fonts out doing... whatever it is exactly that they do. So, to clarify, in my build I have:

Distortion Field - 5 slots: Basilisk's Gaze 4, Overpowering Presence (Energy Font proc)

Wormhole - 6 slots: 5 Overpowering Presence, 1 Sudden Acceleration KB->KD converter

Singularity - 6 slots: 4 Expedient Reinforcement, 1 Soulbound Allegiance Build Up proc, 1 Overwhelming Force Knockdown Proc (KB->KD converter).

Yes, I don't get the 6 slot bonus for Overpowering Presence, no it doesn't really matter. I use a Power Boost build, so with Power Boost + Farsight, I'm way over the Incarnate softcap anyway (Mids says 66.1% def all and higher for Nrg/Neg/Ranged). Even without Power Boost I'm at 44.5% ranged defense (and I hover all the time, to minimize melee attacks), so I'm generally in good shape for most content.

Edit: So I thought those numbers were a bit high. I logged in and looked at the numbers I actually get. My Power Boosted Ranged Def is closer to 42% with 34.5% for all others. Not sure what Mids is doing with the power boost numbers. Regardles, I've found it to be quite sufficient, particularly on teams where I'm rarely the primary target.

Edited by Avilister

1 hour ago, Avilister said:

Well, you are, but also I was misremembering what I had slotted in Wormhole. It isn't Overwhelming Force (which isn't that great in Wormhole since Wormhole doesn't do any damage), its Overpowering Presence, the Controller ATO set (5 of it). I took the Energy Font proc and put it in Distortion Field since I tend to use that more frequently than Wormhole and that gets me more of the Fonts out doing... whatever it is exactly that they do. So, to clarify, in my build I have:

Distortion Field - 5 slots: Basilisk's Gaze 4, Overpowering Presence (Energy Font proc)

Wormhole - 6 slots: 5 Overpowering Presence, 1 Sudden Acceleration KB->KD converter

Singularity - 6 slots: 4 Expedient Reinforcement, 1 Soulbound Allegiance Build Up proc, 1 Overwhelming Force Knockdown Proc (KB->KD converter).

Yes, I don't get the 6 slot bonus for Overpowering Presence, no it doesn't really matter. I use a Power Boost build, so with Power Boost + Farsight, I'm way over the Incarnate softcap anyway (Mids says 66.1% def all and higher for Nrg/Neg/Ranged). Even without Power Boost I'm at 44.5% ranged defense (and I hover all the time, to minimize melee attacks), so I'm generally in good shape for most content.

Edit: So I thought those numbers were a bit high. I logged in and looked at the numbers I actually get. My Power Boosted Ranged Def is closer to 42% with 34.5% for all others. Not sure what Mids is doing with the power boost numbers. Regardles, I've found it to be quite sufficient, particularly on teams where I'm rarely the primary target.

Oh, that makes more sense: thanks for clarifying.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I four-slot my Singularity with Expedient Reinforcement and leave it at that - Grav really benefits from the added recharge with its relative lack of AOE hard control, and Wormhole being up more often is something I generally want, and adding those two procs that Avilister uses in addition to that cuts too much into my personal durability slotting, which I need a lot of as a /Kin on account of the benefits /Kin gets from being in melee (mainly refilling own health and endurance). Wormhole has five Stupefys in it (everything but the KB proc because it already has KB and definitely doesn't need more) and the smashing damage proc from Explosive Strike which I picked because it's thematic for my character but is nonessential; the last slot could easily be filled with an Overwhelming Force KB-to-KD if you don't like KB or some other proc (several options!), or moved somewhere else. It doesn't need the Razzle Dazzle immob proc though, because it's more reliable to hit them with a Crushing Field directly after the wormhole lands if you want them not to wander off - my Crushing Field has four slots of Overwhelming Force including the proc, the Debilitative Action +stun, and the Gravitational Anchor +hold to further shore up my AOE control options.

Character portrait artist for hire, PM for details!

Commissions: Closed, Sorry

3 hours ago, Avilister said:

My Power Boosted Ranged Def is closer to 42% with 34.5% for all others. Not sure what Mids is doing with the power boost numbers.

Could be the power boost applying to other def powers. Maneuvers and Combat jumping. Mids doesnt discriminate between long lasting click powers and toggles because technically it is right (for the few seconds pb is up)

It very well could be, but it doesn't appear that it does that in-game, at least not if those powers are already toggled on when you fire Power Boost. I should probably test to see if it boosts them if they're toggled on within the Power Boost window because, heck, if so, free extra defense, right?