Report Typos Here!

Widower

In the Issue 27 Story Arc The Graveyard Shift, if you decide to investigate Hide Park, Jacob (the child-actor-turned-homeless-guy) at some point says, "PPD says it's for our safety. that's it very anonymous." (In the attached screenshot, the text in question is in the bottom paragraph.)

Of course that should be a comma separating those clauses, not a period, and "that's it" should be "that it's". So, the sentence in question should read, "PPD says it's for our safety, that it's very anonymous."

(Could also consider changing "very" to "totally" or "completely", though that's not an error per se. It's just a little weird to say something is "very anonymous". Either it's anonymous or it isn't, y'know?)

typo-hide-park.PNG

In Ghost Widow's Patron Pool story arc, in the mission where you fight the Longbow who have invaded GW's base, there's a Clue that refers to "...methods to make a spirit physically manifest, even against it's will."

That should be "its will," not "it's will," of course. (It's means it is, which is not what is intended here; its is the correct possessive form of it.)

typo-gwidow.PNG

In Noble Savage's mission, The Only Good Day Was Yesterday, Finale: The Girl That Got Away, in the task where you speak to Candlestick about the Awakened, the player's response at one point reads, "What? I'm hear to ask about the Awakened."

That should be here, not hear.

typo-candlestick.PNG

In Cerulean's story arc, A Woman's Scorn, Part Two: The Tower and the Devil, when you talk to Diabolique on the roof of the Westerman Building, she says that we take orders from Cerulean like we're "his dotting pupil."

That should be doting (i.e., excessively affectionate), not dotting (i.e., dot-drawing). Unless she means to say that he is teaching us pointillism, in which case we would indeed be dotting pupils.

typo-dotting.PNG

In the debriefing for the First Ward story arc mission Revenge: Served Chilled, Finale: My Enemy's Enemy, Master Midnight says that he'll "set to work at once studying it's pages...".

Instead of it's pages, that should be its pages, because what is intended here is a possessive, not a contraction.

typo-cerulean.PNG

There's a fair bit of its/it's confusion in First Ward.

Also, Blind Makwa:

Midnight siezed the Midnight Mansion and all the artifacts and sorcery the Midnighters had accumulated over the decades. That sorcery includes The Book of Binding and The Dust of Chains, and I need your help to get it.

"siezed" is definitely wrong. It also seems at least odd that this doesn't say "Those artifacts include ...".

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Get rid of the sidekick level malus and the 5-level exemplar power grace.

21 hours ago, thunderforce said:

Midnight siezed the Midnight Mansion and all the artifacts and sorcery the Midnighters had accumulated over the decades. That sorcery includes The Book of Binding and The Dust of Chains, and I need your help to get it.

"siezed" is definitely wrong. It also seems at least odd that this doesn't say "Those artifacts include ...".

Yeah, also shouldn't he say "I need your help to get them," since, as I recall, you have to get both artifacts on this mission? Also, and this is a much more minor error, the "The" in front of Book of Binding and Dust of Chains should not be capitalized.

Fully corrected sentence: "Midnight seized the Midnight Mansion and all the artifacts and sorcery the Midnighters had accumulated over the decades, including the Book of Binding and the Dust of Chains, and I need your help to get them."

Another its/it's...

The description for the Katana ability Golden Dragonfly says that it "...can even knock a foe down to the ground and reduce it's Defense."

Should be "its Defense." Or if you like singular they, "their Defense." (I actually would prefer to use their here rather than its, especially since this is technically a cone attack.)

Also, and this is not an error, but it is a bit redundant to say "knock a foe down to the ground." Either say, "knock a foe down" or "knock a foe to the ground." The extra wordiness as written does not add any additional clarity.

(Note: This is for the Scrapper version of this power. I have not checked to see if other ATs with their own version of Golden Dragonfly have the same error.)

typo-dragonfly.PNG

• Thanks 1

I do think it's a pity that Homecoming isn't in a position to just get one or two of us pedantic gits to go through fixing these. In particular, there's a huge amount of low-hanging fruit which can be found very quickly just by grepping the strings in the game for common typos.

• Thumbs Up 1

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Television is probably my favorite redside contact, but its mission briefings are rife with typos. Here are the ones I made note of:

In The TV Report story arc, in the briefing for the mission "Watch more Television," faux Homer Simpson makes reference to "rampaging mobs or atomic mimes." In context, it is clear that what was meant was "rampaging mobs of atomic mimes." EDIT: Also, this text block needs proper paragraph breaks to make it more readable.

Also in The TV Report, in the debriefing for "Get Viridian's signature," the gray-haired guy takes a minute "to quickly tell say a few words to you." Having both "tell" and "say" there is obviously an error. I presume "to quickly say a few words to you" is what was intended.

In the story arc, Video Killed the Radio, in the briefing for the second mission, "See who won the best revenge category," it mentions "defeating the next poor fool to fall for it's siren song." That should be its, not it's.

typo-mobsormimes.PNG

typo-saytell.PNG

typo-sirensong.PNG

Edited by Gigajoule
not having typos of my own is hard

I did a search of this thread before posting this - Ouroboros Story Arc: Void Sanction (Vigilante Alignment). Initial mission dialog box, last paragraph, last sentence: "We need someone who is willing to go the extra effort to see a job is done right, you know what I mean?" 

The turn of phrase is "go the extra mile."

image.png.f00eb1bd534774ca8353af1ecc40fc63.png

Further mission dialog after accepting to the above; "My team is called 'Void Sanction', and you can simply call me 'The Major'.  This should read "My team is called 'Void Sanction,' and you can simply call me 'The Major.' [Note the single quotation marks contain the comma and the period.]

Additionally, same dialog box; "Hero Corp" should read "Hero Corps" [Note the added "s"]. And "codeword" is two words, "code word" is the correct usage. 

There are two periods at the end of the bike messenger portion, one is colored gold, while the other is colored white. I recommend using three periods total and making them all gold to match the sentence highlight.

image.png.7316a5dfe4b734cc99f508b3fc0f6183.png

Same thing for code word on the next mission dialog box:

image.png.08aabc7495521de250796242d717f174.png

Again, "Hero Corp," instead of "Hero Corps" later in the mission dialog box at the end of the story arc:

image.png.e2b047c0a3d25aaa18a74f3e9dc6f524.png

Last one: Upon completion of the story arc, the souvenir uses 'Hero Corp,' instead of 'Hero Corps'

Spoiler

image.png.0cf6af8b34ddf9178944eb224a13faa2.png

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

So this isn't exactly a typo, but more of some dialogue that doesn't exactly belong where I read it.  While exploring the Abandoned Sewers near Dr. Vahzilok's lab, I overheard some Freakshow chatter.

Champion Smasher: First we take out some stuff in Black Mariah. Then we move on to The Flop. What do you say?

The dialogue is fine in terms of grammar and spelling, but they're in the sewers of Paragon City talking about knocking over neighborhoods in St. Marital?  I know there's Freaks from Sharkhead attacking Paragon at some point, but the other way around?  I can't imagine it's that easy for a bunch of drugged out cyborgs to get out of Paragon and into Marital.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Another day, another post of grammar pedantry...

In Television's story arc The TV Invasion, in one of the missions there's a clue, "A Fake Nemesis Memory record," that says it can trace the Nemesis attack back "to it's origin point." That should be its, not it's. (Additionally, and this may not be an error per se, but it would be more clear to call this clue "A memory record from a Fake Nemesis" or something, to clarify that while the Nemesis may have been fake, the memory record itself is not fake.)

In the debriefing for Westin Phipps' one-off mission "Destroy school books," he says that "People have been coming into haven house...". As Haven House is a proper noun naming a specific place, that should be capitalized: "People have been coming into Haven House..." etc.

In Ghost Widow's story arc Life and Death (not the Patron arc, but the arc you get after doing her Patron arc), when you do the step "Return crystal to Daos," he says that when you strike down Ghost Widow, her "soul will resume it's ghostly un-life." Again, that should be its, not it's.

typo-tvinvasion.PNG

typo-havenhouse.PNG

typo-redwidow.PNG

• Thanks 1

When Blind Makwa passes you onto Cerulean, he says "Trust Master Midnight if you wish, but I warn you, he will betray you as he did me".

This is odd because he's talking about Cerulean, the idea of trusting Master Midnight hasn't been mooted, and Master Midnight didn't (as far as we know) betray Blind Makwa.