What is your first City of Heroes memory.

I was having fun in Galaxy City street sweeping then came across the monorail. I took a ride to Kings Row and decided to have a look around. I caught a glimpse of a huge 'guy' that I later identified as 'The Lost' before I instantly faceplanted.

One memory, a long time later, when when I was teamed up and came across the Circle of Thorns Behemoths for the first time. Seeing a bunch of those things in an indoor room, their heads were almost touching the ceiling, was a real 'What The Heck' moment!

I went through the Outbreak mission and as I was going along, taking down the contaminated I was thinking, "This is alright but there are very few people and it just feels like I am running on rails."

Then I got the mission from Coyote and when I finished it he said, "Time to go to Atlas or Galaxy" I chose Atlas and the screen went dark and when it came up I am standing at the bottom of those stairs and the horns played for Atlas Park and it was awesome.

I get frisson remembering it.

And there were people and cars and I could stop a purse snatching and there was a group of thugs in an alleyway and I could bust em up.

And I ran everywhere until someone told me there was a monorail.

It was my second semester of grad school and my then-boyfriend, now-husband, had just moved in with me. Our desks were right next to each other (teeny tiny city apartment), so it was impossible for me to not see his screen. While I was supposed to be writing papers about social justice, and the history of mental health care, and addictions treatment, and the like, I was actually watching him "arrest" thugs in Paragon. He offered to set me up with my own account, but I decided to be responsible and wait till the summer when I had a break from classes. It's been love ever since. I swear CoH kept me from losing my mind that second year of grad school.

The first that I can remember is my very first character... a Mind/Force Fields controller that I built to look like an ancient looking mobster... because that's what he was. I remember fighting with him in the back alleys of King's Row, and the moment that I got Stealth for the first time, and saw my character disappear Predator-style. At that point, it was just fun to sneak up right near mobs without them seeing me, and then lock them down with holds.

Nowadays, I never touch Stealth, I've got my Personal Force Field, and am way too impatient for stealthy style gameplay, but back then, that was REALLY fun.

I'm out.

Unlocking each power without being able to see them in the costume creator.

Getting my first cape.

Unlocking auras.

There is definitely a feeling of progression that is missing.

Having people like this try and bring down everyone else.

Really.

My first impressions with this game were people trying to make the game feel like work and that there was/is a 'right' way to play, concerned only with the details, not into actually having fun...

Thankfully, I know how to have fun and not be a grognard so I have lots of great memories that don't include people trying to make the game more like work so they can feel better...

My best memory is hitting 50 the first time in the War Zone, with my RL buddies.

Unlocking each power without being able to see them in the costume creator.

Getting my first cape.

Unlocking auras.

There is definitely a feeling of progression that is missing.

My best memory is hitting 50 the first time in the War Zone, with my RL buddies.

It wasn't my intention to shame anyone for what they liked. Those were my first notable experiences with the game, and not a backhanded statement towards what other people enjoy.

I am very against the idea of policing what other people find to be fun.

Having people like this try and bring down everyone else.

Really.

My first impressions with this game were people trying to make the game feel like work and that there was/is a 'right' way to play, concerned only with the details, not into actually having fun...

Thankfully, I know how to have fun and not be a grognard so I have lots of great memories that don't include people trying to make the game more like work so they can feel better...

It wasn't my intention to shame anyone for what they liked. Those were my first notable experiences with the game, and not a backhanded statement towards what other people enjoy.

I am very against the idea of policing what other people find to be fun.

Awesome. I see the holding of costumes back as stiffling creativity, not progression or something to be earned. The real CoH to me is creating the exact look and name - not playing something less to 'earn' anything for visuals, that is not fun for me at all.

Progression, is new enhanceents and powers, not how I style my hair, unless of course I just decide that _I_ want the _character_ to progress in looks, then it is _my_ choice.

No longer is this game mechanic, added by developers of a game based around getting people to play more to 'earn' cosmetics, this is not a retail game anymore and does not need that treadmill, IMO.

Anytime I see someone want to roll back changes that allow for more creativity I cringe.

Go Hunt. Kill Skuls.

I was at a massive lan event in Colorado competing in Battlefield 1942, and Unreal Tournament 2, or maybe it was 3.

Anyways, one of my clan mates who wasn't on the comp teams was playing CoH and had just gotten the Super Jump power. I watched him jump around Talos for about 5 minutes beating the crap out of bad guys, and immediately went across the street to the Best Buy and got a copy of the game.

The feeling of hitting the Copper District in Steel Canyon and hearing that music again was incredible.

Excelsior - Grey Scale 50+ Emp/Dark Def - Thermal Meltdown 50+ Rad/Fire Brute - Old Growth 50+ Plant Troll - Enrico Fermi 50+ Rad Blaster

I recall after making my very first hero and dropping into Atlas Park, someone gifted me 200k inf. I felt rich. :D

I used to do that all the time. Especially if someone had a awesome bio for their character. A good bio could net you an easy 200k for sure. :)

A memory that stayed with me all this time was when I flew into a zone (Founder's Falls maybe), I was a level 22 fire blaster "LaFlamme" my namesake. I was just hovering there for a sec and I got a tell from a kid (assumption) and he was amazed at my ability to fly and he hoped he could one day get to my level too.  It was so sweet!  Made me smile.  I was only lvl 22! :)

This was my first MMO ever. I was SO thrilled when I got an invite to team! I was promptly tp'd to the highest building in Atlas and then kicked from the team. I paced back and forth, wondering if I had to recreate my character if I jumped to my death. Lesson learned---not everyone in an MMO is nice.

After that, I made some real friends, and promised myself that I would always be helpful, especially to newbies.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

This was my first MMO ever. I was SO thrilled when I got an invite to team! I was promptly tp'd to the highest building in Atlas and then kicked from the team. I paced back and forth, wondering if I had to recreate my character if I jumped to my death. Lesson learned---not everyone in an MMO is nice.

After that, I made some real friends, and promised myself that I would always be helpful, especially to newbies.

And THAT is why a prompt for teleport was created.  :)

MY first memory was spending (for me) a very large sum of money to play the game and then finding out that my gfx card was missing some feature and wouldn't play the game. So then I dumped an absolute fortune on a new card so I could play.

My second memory was seeing someone on top of one of the huge buildings, and then figuring out I could parkour from windowsill to windowsill and manged to get up there myself at level 3. Felt SUPER proud of myself for getting up there. Then I found people could get hover and just putter up there by level 6.

My first memory of City of Heroes was before I even got the game.

I was watching another individual playing the game and at Level 2 he decided to run off and jump over a Wall in Atlas Park and the Level 6 Chockworks drop him half way over the wall.

He never knew what hit him.

I then went out and got the Game, which was the very first MMO that I ever played.

Using Propel -- old school, super long animation Propel -- to bonk skulls or hellions off a rooftop and thinking "Man, the physics in this game. I love this. Can it get any better?"

Then the game world went kind of dark, and these freaky alien ships showed up and my framerate dropped to slideshow as everyone ran out to see what was going on...

Well, I think some of them knew the end of beta meant a Rikti event, but I SURE DIDN'T.

I was extremely fresh to all of it, first time having a computer at 13, I was illiterate due to schools not knowing how to handle my specific case of ADD among other things, so I could mostly read everything, but I didn't know how to spell much of anything, cuz of this I decided to go with a support role, went with an Empath/Dark Defender in the opening weeks of the game and named him after my randomly generated gnome rogue from Everquest that I spent only a day on cuz the game was way too vague for me. I asked for a group, got picked up by one, and immediately got praised for my healing and was asked to be added to friends by everyone. I usually stayed quiet sitting in the far back as everyone else did their thing and quickly made it up to Skyway City.

I dropped this character early on in favor of a Spines/Regeneration Scrapper. I picked those two sets because I had no clue what spines were and the idea of regeneration didn't make sense to me, I wasn't aware that this was a common ability in comic books, or how it was Wolverines main form of defense. Anyone who knows what pre-ED, pre-Regen overhaul was like knows that regen was essentially binary in its survivability, I have many memories of being the last one standing in Terra Volta picking off the final waves of Freakshow.

I mention both of these cuz they came pretty close together and the friends I made on my healer character transferred seamlessly to my Scrapper and lasted for about until WoW came out and those friends finding the lack of updates to the game to be very slow, which they were until about City of Villains, then Going Rogue. This was a very formative game for me, and it's the thing that kept me motivated to learn how to better read and write cuz it was able to keep my attention. Now I'm 29. Wild.