Assassin's Strike breaking hide but dealing no damage

GastlyGibus

So I've got two stalkers I'm playing now, and I can confirm the bug happens on both of them. One is Savage Melee, the other is Street Justice, if that helps at all.

I've noticed that, on rare occasions, using Assassin's Strike from Hide will sometimes play the sound effects, play the hit effects, break hide and draw aggro, but deal no damage at all. Even stranger still, the few times when it does this, the attack doesn't even appear in the combat log, as if it never even happened. I started monitoring the combat log, and I got some examples.

This is what it looks like when it works normally. I'd say 95% of my Assassin's Strikes work as intended this way.

AssassinWorking.png.82be888173db5086b35ff66f296fb488.png

However, rarely, my assassin strike will behave as stated previously. All of the sound effects play, the visual effects play as if I successfully hit, hide will be broken and I'll draw aggro from the mob I hit, but no damage is done and the combat log shows nothing.

AssassinFail.png.acbd6e02dcdcc17541d9fd354dc75b8a.png

Please note that the "Initial Strike" power is from Street Justice and is not related to the issue. In both of those examples, you see it says "You start Assassin's Strike" and then afterwards "You activated the Assassin's Strike power" but then it stops. It doesn't miss, it doesn't hit, it doesn't even exist according to the combat logs, but it draws aggro anyways.

This happens on both my Savage Melee and Street Justice Stalkers. This isn't the same as a miss. When I miss, it shows in the combat logs, and hide isn't broken. This breaks hide but doesn't even appear in the logs. Again, it's as if the attack never happened according to the game, but it will draw aggro and break hide regardless.

Edited by GastlyGibus

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

Yeah, admittedly, it is rare (thank god) but it's happening enough for me to notice it. Those two examples I posted happened within the same hour, and it happened a third time but I lost it in the combat logs before I started keeping track. I'd say it's around 1 out of every 100 Assassin's Strikes I make suffer from this glitch.

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

Definitely happens on my stalker, but its rare. It always catches me by surprise when I expect my target to have died and I'm selecting my next target but then no damage happens.

From Champion (Hero) and Infinity (Villain), currently playing on Everlasting.

Former member of the Hammers of Justice on Champion.

Raid leader for 'Everlasting TFs'.

Mains: Trickery Girl (Ill/Rad Controller), Burk (Sword/Shield Stalker), and 6 other complete badge characters.

• 10 months later

Not wanting to necropost but I’m playing a new stalker and see this happen about once per play session.  This is on a DB/Energy build.  Animation starts, stab executes and...nothing.  No hit, no miss, just aggro.  And my END drains as if I attacked.

On 2/1/2020 at 2:25 AM, GastlyGibus said:

I'd say 95% of my Assassin's Strikes work as intended this way.

I could count on one hand the number of times this happened to my on my StJ Stalker while soloing from 1-50, so it definitely doesn't happen 5% of the time, but it does happen.

On 2/2/2020 at 8:41 PM, Redlynne said:

I wonder if that means that it's the Streakbreaker causing the issue (and not reporting it correctly to the logs).

Seems extremely unlikely to be the streakbreaker causing this issue; in the last screenshot, you can see the OP gained a level of combo from their last attack, which only happens on a hit.

• 5 months later

Necro-post, but this is still happening.

Looking at my logs now, I get the AS activation, but no roll to hit, etc...   Next line is my target attacking me.

I seem to be seeing it more often.  This stalker is only at level 21 and I've had it happen maybe once per day.

-Dual Blades

-Street Justice

-Rad Melee

All have mechanisms that work by granting a proc or power effect.  I wonder if this could be the issue?  For example, slow Assassin's Corruption (Rad) has an 86% chance to Grant Power: Contaminated (which itself is set to Notify: Always).

We often see a similar issue occur with slow snipes where the target moves behind cover at the last second.  You shoot the projectile, you lose the cooldown, but no hit is rolled in the chat log and the enemy isn't notified.

My guess: this is a combination of the 2.  You are "losing" the AS to something like server desync making it seem like they are no longer a valid target, but the system has already fired off the Notify event linked to the additional effect.

Alternatively, the same logic may apply to slotted Procs.  If the order to deal proc damage is "rescinded", it may be after the "Notify" check (and basically all damage procs are set to Notify.  You can see this in action with Confuse damage procs).

• 2 years later
  • 7 months later

Adding another 'still happening' to this, dark melee. Happened twice in the last couple hours (last one happened at 18:15 PST on my character Relinquished on Everlasting, if that helps with troubleshooting). As per above, all animations play, the effect appears to land on the enemy, but there's no damage or roll in the combat log, hide is broken and aggro drawn.