Focused Feedback: Electrical Affinity - Name

Jimmy

2 minutes ago, Doomrider said:

Name gets changed to bland alternative to appease a vocal minority and ppl still can't get off the name issue and talk about the actual set. 🤣. This powerset is turning rapidly into a meme.

The entire forums is a vocal minority. It's the same 50 people arguing in a circle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Super Atom said:

Generic names used more as a description than a name. With Electrical Affinity you're literally chaining yourself to your allies and most of your abilities rely on another person to even be activated. That sparks Kinship to me.

Support sets are different than blast, armor or melee sets though.

And they aren't literal chains.  I would like a cool "chains" aesthetic to a set as I have a concept for one but that isn't here.  They're a circuit, not a chain.  A more apt name (suggested by someone else) would have been Bioelecticity or Bioelectric Circuit.  Affinity is generic.

14 minutes ago, Leogunner said:

And they aren't literal chains.  I would like a cool "chains" aesthetic to a set as I have a concept for one but that isn't here.  They're a circuit, not a chain.  A more apt name (suggested by someone else) would have been Bioelecticity or Bioelectric Circuit.  Affinity is generic.

Ah yes, support sets. The thrilling adventures of "Trick Arrow" and "Traps".

Lets not forget "Kinetics" or "Force Field"

Not generic at all. With names like those maybe this set should just be called "Electric buffs"

Also "Chaining" in a game term sense, plus chain lightning is a real thing. Not literal metal chains.

also, you haven't played the set if you don't think it literally shows you and another person connected via an electrical chain.

Edited by Super Atom

5 minutes ago, Leogunner said:

Bio- implies that it's from a biological origin.  Which would be an odd when on a robotic or magical character.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Super Atom said:

Do you mean Shock Treatment? "Literally".

That character is a complete lunatic and a villain.

I'm not certain what your point is.  The two names are effectively the same; I think it'd be hard for anyone reasonable to see otherwise.   But to your second comment, just because a character has villainous traits, doesn't inherently make an offensive name permissible.  Nor does it mean that if we had a character whose name was racist; but also displayed heroic qualities that wouldn't require addressing.

What you commented doesn't change the fact that either people weren't invested enough before now to notice, or to care enough to petition to have it changed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LondonRook said:

Bio- implies that it's from a biological origin.  Which would be an odd when on a robotic or magical character.

It's implied that it's used on biological creatures or material or making a circuit out of them.  Origin-wise, it would wholly depend on if it's only used as a circuit for inorganics.  If origins come into place, how does a Robot/machine have an affinity at all?  Perhaps a better name for cross-origin function/emanation would be Electrical Interface.  It has a stronger link to the use by science/tech origins but has a wide range of grammatical links to other powers such as communications as well as physically forming a connection to multiple bodies/systems.

Again, Affinity is generic.  No argument about other powersets being also generic will change that.

Edited by Leogunner

1 minute ago, LondonRook said:

I'm not certain what your point is.  The two names are effectively the same; I think it'd be hard for anyone reasonable to see otherwise.   But to your second comment, just because a character has villainous traits, doesn't inherently make an offensive name permissible.  Nor does it mean that if we had a character whose name was racist; but also displayed heroic qualities that wouldn't require addressing.

What you commented doesn't change the fact that either people weren't invested enough before now to notice, or to care enough to petition to have it changed.

I've never cared about if it was offensive or not. You just said literally and well...

My second comment is more about how they're a crazy villain and...well not much else.

5 minutes ago, LondonRook said:

People pick their battlles. The villain is already in the game, the powerset isn't. 

• Like 1

So, why is it being generic 'bad'?

It fits the most different concepts the more generic it is, thus allowing for the broadest interpretation for character concepts, etc.

How is this not a good thing?

And more generally, how is a game about Heroes, played by people that want to be Heroes and do good things (Blueside), run by people wanting to keep the game alive for the most number of players, in anyway in the 'wrong' for not using a very loaded term when it obviously upset players?

How is it suddenly a bad move simply because the same volunteers have not taken the time to remove all such things?

How is it wrong for the people involved to want to make the game more enjoyable to the most people?

Some of the posters here are literally attacking the HC team because they listened to their players and made things better for them, without impacting a single in-game number.

How is this bad?

If anything, it's one of the most responsible and mature moves they have made.

How is changing a name that upsets and offends a bad thing, in anyway showing any form of weakness on the part of the HC team?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

People pick their battlles. The villain is already in the game, the powerset isn't. 

That's an arbitrary distinction.  At the end of the day, content is content.

But more to the point, it goes to show that if something was that patently offensive then the name would have been removed before now because it was essentially already in the game.  That gives the conclusion that the original name is fine more credence not less.  Because people had far more time to be motivated to act, and didn't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Tater Todd said:

The name Shock Therapy screamed Redside (which is my home) to me.  Like I could actually imagine the set starting on Corrs and Masterminds and then getting ported over to Blueside ATs.

Exactly.  It felt like a Pain Domination equivalent to me.  Electrical Affinity is just bleh.  Like blue side.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

So, why is it being generic 'bad'?

It fits the most different concepts the more generic it is, thus allowing for the broadest interpretation for character concepts, etc.

How is this not a good thing?

This is a feedback thread about a name.  Feedback was given.  Don't put "bad" in people's mouths when no one but you (and 1 other person saying "not so bad") are the ones that said it.

7 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

And more generally, how is a game about Heroes, played by people that want to be Heroes and do good things (Blueside), run by people wanting to keep the game alive for the most number of players, in anyway in the 'wrong' for not using a very loaded term when it obviously upset players?

Like I mentioned elsewhere, it's funny you mentioned people being "wrong"...those that were vehemently against the devs explaining their use of the term "Shock Therapy" were labeling those very devs you're defending as "wrong" and vilifying their motives.

Why is it so wrong to express the distaste for a particular name (like Affinity's use here) but it's not wrong to shout down the devs for using a term they deem sensitive?  Am I the only one seeing the hypocrisy here?  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LondonRook said:

That's an arbitrary distinction.  At the end of the day, content is content.

But more to the point, it goes to show that if something was that patently offensive then the name would have been removed before now because it was essentially already in the game.  That gives the conclusion that the original name is fine more credence not less.  Because people had far more time to be motivated to act, and didn't.

Well, I remember comments about it from Live, I have a lot of gay friends that played the game then.

Plus, times have changed.

People are trying to be more considerate.

How is this a bad thing?

And the in-game character is a dirtbag, I can remember the glee with witch one of my friends killed that villain, so you could say it's there to allow people to face their demons, as opposed to a powerset with the name.

5 minutes ago, Leogunner said:

This is a feedback thread about a name.  Feedback was given.  Don't put "bad" in people's mouths when no one but you (and 1 other person saying "not so bad") are the ones that said it.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, it's funny you mentioned people being "wrong"...those that were vehemently against the devs explaining their use of the term "Shock Therapy" were labeling those very devs you're defending as "wrong" and vilifying their motives.

Why is it so wrong to express the distaste for a particular name (like Affinity's use here) but it's not wrong to shout down the devs for using a term they deem sensitive?  Am I the only one seeing the hypocrisy here?  

It's not wrong to not like the new name, I gave other examples.

I don't care, TBH, as long as it's not offensive.

I am curious as to why more generic is a bad thing, really just curious, I think more generic is good for a powerset name, it allows more flexibility.

I should probably not try and talk about two thought lines in one post.

Edited by jubakumbi
speeling
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leogunner said:

Not just that. One user in the old thread was threatening media attention. You know, the kind of thing that routinely ruins lives. The devs are absolute saints for putting up with such cowardice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bartacus said:

Fire Armor / Fire Melee / Fire Blast / THERMAL RADIATION. Huge issue? 
Ice Armor / Ice Melee / Ice Blast / COLD DOMINATION

It's not a huge issue. 

Thermal Radiation and Cold/Pain Domination were all designed for City of Villains and as such styled for villainy. This new set isn't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jubakumbi said:

I am curious as to why more generic is a bad thing, really just curious,

The reason the name was changed was because it was insensitive to certain players, not because it was too specific or convoluted.

The name was changed to something generic and that is the feedback given.  Whether you feel being generic is a good thing is your preference.

I think my official suggestion is Electrical Interface.

No one else suggested it and I feel it's more indicative of a support set, it's function and having a better acronym (ei/elec, robot/ei, dark/ei, etc).  

Shocking Support

Shocking Beneficence  [this one is snappy and educational (as in what the heck is beneficence?!)]

Edited by Troo
consolodated posts

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Just now, Leogunner said:

The reason the name was changed was because it was insensitive to certain players, not because it was too specific or convoluted.

The name was changed to something generic and that is the feedback given.  Whether you feel being generic is a good thing is your preference.

No one else suggested it and I feel it's more indicative of a support set, it's function and having a better acronym (ei/elec, robot/ei, dark/ei, etc).  

I know why the name was changed, it was a good idea to do so IMO.

Your name sounds fine and is also quite generic from my POV.

This is a discussion forum, I was discussing.

Are we not supposed to discuss the feedback?

1 minute ago, Leogunner said:

This is incorrect. Most people didn't like it because it didn't fit naming convention and sounded like a power not a set. Your narrative of it being offensive was 3 or 4 people. Your suggestion is just change for change sake imo and accomplishes nothing. Not everything has to be unique and this sounds like an incarnate ability not a set.

4 minutes ago, Super Atom said:

Imagine putting others down because you think others shouldn't think something is in poor taste. Honestly this thread was a mistake, it's showing how ugly people can be just because they want a flashy name.

Imagine being censored or labeled ugly because you think differently and you can't do anything about it.

While I liked Shock Therapy, I felt it would be easier to change it so I suppose I have different reasons why I've changed my perspective on the previous name and why it should be changed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super Atom said:

The entire forums is a vocal minority. It's the same 50 people arguing in a circle.

And a fractional of that minority had enough sway to get a new powerset renamed because reasons. I don't care about the name personally either way, to me it's arbitrary, I just find it funny how much more attention the name feedback channel is getting compared to one discussing the actual set.

As much as the set is a new shiny, maybe some feel it's likely not going to change end drain into a viable tactic and thus consider the set DOA. Seems odd theres not more feedback for a brand new powerset. /Shrug

Screenshot_20200229-110418_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Doomrider

2 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

Are we not supposed to discuss the feedback?

Yes, I suppose most of my criticism of your post was labeling other criticism as wholly negative without context.

I appreciate the feedback on my suggestion.  I feel the name is pretty interesting is because Interface works on various levels with electronics, antennae, machines, programs and even people.  Interface is as broad a term as affinity but fits electricity themes better. 

3 minutes ago, jubakumbi said:

Well, I remember comments about it from Live, I have a lot of gay friends that played the game then.

Plus, times have changed.

People are trying to be more considerate.

How is this a bad thing?

Trying to be accommodating and considerate isn't a bad thing.  But people will always find something to be offended by, so it's wise to judge the merit of their claim before taking action.  And the best way to do that is to look at what's come before.  Seeing as how this is only now becoming an issue, I personally don't place much weight in the argument that the name's offensive.  There would have to be something more convincing to me to change my mind on it than what I've seen so far in this thread.  Take that subjective opinion for what you will.

Also keep in mind that ECT is a medical procedure that's still performed to this day to treat severe depression.  It's not something purely of our past that's antiquated and archaic.  So to say that times have changed negates the fact that in many regards they have not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2