Focused Feedback: Electrical Affinity - Name

Jimmy

• City Council

This is a Focused Feedback Thread

• Please note that Focused Feedback threads are heavily moderated to ensure they remain on topic. Any off-topic posts in these threads will be removed without warning.
  • Changes from the previous build will be listed in green.
  • Any changes or fixes that are only relevant to the beta builds (as in, not changes relevant to the live version of the game) will be listed in blue.

We've renamed the set from Shock Therapy to Electrical Affinity. We feel this new name is more in-keeping with the current roster of support powersets. If you have any thoughts or comments relating to the name change please post them here. If you have any feedback for the powerset itself, please use this thread.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Honestly, this is going to be a pretty useless thread because everything is purely subjective. I prefer the old name, Shock Therapy, though. I know that "Affinity" tacked on to the end of a set does keep with the current naming convention, but Shock Therapy sounded way cooler.

• Like 8

Nothing really to say except for thank you for taking the feedback into account about the name. As I said in the other thread, I didn't find the name offensive as much as I thought it was more fitting as a name for a power or character rather than a power set.

• Like 3

I like the name "Therapy" more than "Affinity".  Affinity has no correlation to electricity at all.  If you're looking at sets like Sonic "Resonance", that has a connection to reverberation and sound.  Nature "Affinity" does have a connection to more biological connections.

It also doesn't follow the standard naming conventions like Ice>Cold, Fire>Thermal does for elemental sets.

Personally prefer Shock Therapy but would settle for Electro-Therapy, Electric Therapy or some more thematically linked name.

• Like 2

Just now, Leogunner said:

I like the name "Therapy" more than "Affinity".  Affinity has no correlation to electricity at all.  If you're looking at sets like Sonic "Resonance", that has a connection to reverberation and sound.  Nature "Affinity" does have a connection to more biological connections.

It also doesn't follow the standard naming conventions like Ice>Cold, Fire>Thermal does for elemental sets.

Personally prefer Shock Therapy but would settle for Electro-Therapy, Electric Therapy or some more thematically linked name.

Electrical Empowerment, perhaps?

• Like 2

Electrical Affinity is a fine name. If names should sound like others, it certainly pairs with Darkness Affinity. But if this section is intended to play more as a naming suggestion thread, I'd like to throw one more into the ring: Electrical Transformation, the changing of electricity in form and nature.

Edited by Bopper
  • Like 3

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

It lost something removing 'Shock'.

'Electrical' may adhere to cannon but it is definitely not going to stand out and will sound similar to others potentially causing confusion.

@Leogunner'Therapy' is really the part folks had issue with.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

28 minutes ago, Troo said:

It lost something removing 'Shock'.

'Electrical' may adhere to cannon but it is definitely not going to stand out and will sound similar to others potentially causing confusion.

@Leogunner'Therapy' is really the part folks had issue with.

idk, we've managed just fine with Fire Blast, Fire Control, Fiery Aura, Fiery Melee etc etc without it causing any particular problems. Not a lot of people wonder why their Blaster doesn't get any imps at level 32.

I do think "electrical" sounds worse than just "electric" because it's one syllable longer.

• Retired Developer

I have an issue with Affinity, personally, being sort of a bland and generic name that I associated with Controller secondaries moreso than Defender primaries.

Electrical Induction would be my only suggestion, which also acronyms it to EI (Unique) instead of EA (Electric Armor, Energy Armor, and a cash-grabbing company 😄 )

• Like 2

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

EA.. EA.. EA Elec/ /Elec /Elec Elec/ /Elec //Elec (it's just something to keep in mind if/as this proliferates @Blastit)

I find myself as an energy melee'r confused time to time just by EM & EM. I guess my reading comprehension is unusually low and that is just my crux to bear.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

24 minutes ago, Troo said:

EA.. EA.. EA Elec/ /Elec /Elec Elec/ /Elec //Elec (it's just something to keep in mind if/as this proliferates @Blastit)

I find my self as an energy melee'r confused time to time just by EM & EM. I guess my reading comprehension is unusually low and it's just my crux to bear.

40 minutes ago, Blastit said:

I do think "electrical" sounds worse than just "electric" because it's one syllable longer.

Electric Boogaloo? /EB

Electric Support? /ES

Static Cling? /SC

Electrical Interference? /EI

Lots of viable options that don't reference the dark side of psychiatric treatments.

Edited by jubakumbi
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ulysses Dare said:

Electro Stimulation

sounds a bit naughty

29 minutes ago, Troo said:

I find my self as an energy melee'r confused time to time just by EM & EM. I guess my reading comprehension is unusually low and it's just my crux to bear.

It's true that people are messy about referring to their "Fire/Fire" character but if they just mention the archetype the number of things it could be is sufficiently reduced. Electrical Melee and Energy Melee are one of fairly few sets that belong on the same "side" of an AT and has the same acronym. Unless they add some kind of Energy Affinity, which admittedly sounds like something that could eventually happen, Electrical Affinity isn't going to be too bad.

If CoH didn't have a well established dry and clinical naming tradition for power sets, something like Electropower is punchy and comic-booky enough.