Focused Feedback: Electrical Affinity - Name

Jimmy

2 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

As a Steampunk I must clarify: Galvanic Vigor would be the appropriate term.

Galvanism is the root word based on the man Luigi Galvani, who ran electricity through the limbs of frogs and for whom the term "Galvanic Response" is named. It takes on the IC suffix on the basis of it being "of or pertaining to” Galvanism. Galvinism, itself, uses the suffix ISM to create an "Action-Noun" from Galvani. Essentially "Galvani Action"

Don't you just adore etymology? Also I am a MASSIVE nerd.

...you know what?

Galvanic Response.  Name it that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, arcaneholocaust said:

That’s one way to say they were successfully bullied into it. 

I don’t care one bit about the name. I do care about how the name change came about.

Yeah. I really like the dev team so far. And I appreciate all that they’ve done. However this name change is the first thing that has caused me to be seriously disappointed in them. That they caved to people taking offense to the name. I highly doubt it actually had to do with it “not making sense” with normal naming conventions.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bopper said:

I also liked Surge Protection (as I do like puns), while also liking someone's earlier suggestion of Static Induction. I also wouldn't mind something like ElectroTherapy if only because I get to call it ET

Surge protection isn’t a bad name. Not as good as shock therapy, but certainly better than electrical affinity. 

13 minutes ago, Saikochoro said:

Yeah. I really like the dev team so far. And I appreciate all that they’ve done. However this name change is the first thing that has caused me to be seriously disappointed in them. That they caved to people taking offense to the name. I highly doubt it actually had to do with it “not making sense” with normal naming conventions.

Like I said before, spite seems to be a really poor reason not to change something that makes someone particularly uncomfortable and doesn't really matter in the end.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DMW45 said:

Like I said before, spite seems to be a really poor reason not to change something that makes someone particularly uncomfortable and doesn't really matter in the end.

Fair enough. Not changing it wouldn’t have been refusing to change out of spite in my opinion. It would be simply refusing to cave to some people taking offense to the name. Especially given that it is not the only questionable thing in the game.

I liked the original name a lot. But the reason I’m disappointed with the change is because it really does feel like they were bullied into changing it as the other poster had said. I had hoped since these are volunteer devs and not part of a big entity that there would be less of that type of thing. Guess not. 

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Haha 1

My point is that the name doesn't really matter--I mean who really cares as long as we know what it is--I figure it was more they just changed it to try to get rid of the drama it was causing, very unproductive.

Bullied?  Hardly.  This team has been very professional.

Edited by DMW45

7 minutes ago, DMW45 said:

My point is that the name doesn't really matter--I mean who really cares as long as we know what it is--I figure it was more they just changed it to try to get rid of the drama it was causing, very unproductive.

Bullied?  Hardly.  This team has been very professional.

I agree the name really shouldn’t have mattered. That’s the whole point. My point is changing it to get rid of drama sets a precedent that causing drama over something will get them to change things. When if they had just kept it as is because it didn’t matter enough to change, then it wouldn’t have set a precedent for successfully getting something changed due to drama.  That’s what I’m disappointed about. 

I agree the devs have been professional in pretty much every regard. That’s why this is the first time I’ve actually been disappointed with one of their actions.

But I’m beating a dead horse now. What’s done is done. Hopefully I’m wrong about this setting a bad precedent and is just a one off. 

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Jesus the crying and false narratives about the name change are getting absurd. I wish people knew how to read when a GM politely asks people not to attack others or carry on the pointless roundabout drama but nope, if they could read we wouldn't be in the cycle of people ignoring the page after page of people who just didn't like the name because it didn't fit in well with power sets and sounded like a power but nope it was all purely just bullying and fake outrage because people disagreed with you.

• Like 1

Changing things that trigger PTSD symptoms isn't a bad precedent.

It's basic human decency.

When your Uncle Jerry comes back from Iraq and everyone tells you not to make loud noises around him 'cause it's traumatic you don't go grab a balloon and a needle to run up behind him and pop it for a laugh. When someone you know loses a family member to a drunk driver you don't walk up to them and make jokes about driving drunk, -yourself-, knowing it'll hurt them.

Why on God's Green Earth to people think it's "Caving" or "Being Bullied" when a developer or person has the same respect for someone they're not related to who has a problem like this?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Super Atom said:

Jesus the crying and false narratives about the name change are getting absurd. I wish people knew how to read when a GM politely asks people not to attack others or carry on the pointless roundabout drama but nope, if they could read we wouldn't be in the cycle of people ignoring the page after page of people who just didn't like the name because it didn't fit in well with power sets and sounded like a power but nope it was all purely just bullying and fake outrage because people disagreed with you.

You have attacked and belittled people as much in this thread as anyone. I wouldn’t be talking.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arcaneholocaust said:

You have attacked and belittled people as much in this thread as anyone. I wouldn’t be talking.

I never said i didn't, I sure as hell belittled and attacked people who went on insane rants about how people aren't allowed to feel emotion about an extremely touchy subject and who were actively being bullied by people over a stupid name for a power set. Get over yourself, i stopped when the GM asked but some people can't let go and insist on continuing to be disgusting.

We're talking about a power set on a private server nobody has any emotional attachment to and has barely had any chance to play and look how people are acting about what its stupid name is.

Edited by Super Atom

10 minutes ago, Super Atom said:

I never said i didn't, I sure as hell belittled and attacked people who went on insane rants about how people aren't allowed to feel emotion about an extremely touchy subject and who were actively being bullied by people over a stupid name for a power set. Get over yourself, i stopped when the GM asked but some people can't let go and insist on continuing to be disgusting.

We're talking about a power set on a private server nobody has any emotional attachment to and has barely had any chance to play and look how people are acting about what its stupid name is.

Actually you never stopped once. You immediately began accusing people of illiteracy moments after the GM posted. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, EmperorSteele said:

"Shock Therapy" is/was used on gay people to try and make them straight, or if that didn't work, fry their brains in the process. Either way, negative connotation in that community.

Shock Therapy was not *just* used on gay people;  It was, (and continues to be), used on any number of conditions, (whether they be actual conditions or ones the medical establishment/those in power deem to be conditions that need "treating").  Disemboweling and beheadings were used as methods of execution or torture for a wide myriad of people as well, (again, whether those people were actually guilty of a crime or those in power just wanted them removed, permanently).  I'm not against the renaming, per se - just that such a thing as "shock therapy" isn't a group-specific thing.  Should bonfire or cremate have their names changed because someone may have had a negative experience with such things?  I mean, we can summon demons, for crying out loud!  How is that not offensive to some people, (especially if you are religious or hold a genuine belief in the supernatural or spirits)?

Either way, change the names as much as you like...

• Like 2

Just now, arcaneholocaust said:

Actually you never stopped once. You immediately began accusing people of illiteracy moments after the GM posted. 

Asking someone to read the GM's post who @'d you three times is hardly accusing someone of illiteracy.

If anything, this "debate" is certainly illuminating some "interesting" corners of the community.

Name got changed.  Express reason was given as attempting to follow the existing naming conventions for Sets.  The sensitivity to people's view on the history surrounding abuses was not expressly referenced by the Homecoming Team.  Whether it affected their decision-making process or not, we may never know.

In the meantime, we have an opportunity to examine some other potential names for the Set.  Let's not squander that, please.

• Like 3

• City Council

I would like to make a proposal to you; at least until Jimmy wakes up in ~4 hours. Shock Therapy is a thing of the past. If you want to present a third option, feel free. Otherwise, please drop it; flame wars are bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

1 minute ago, GM Widower said:

I would like to make a proposal to you; at least until Jimmy wakes up in ~4 hours. Shock Therapy is a thing of the past. If you want to present a third option, feel free. Otherwise, please drop it; flame wars are bad.

I promise not to initiate again. My right to self defense from fresh attacks is another matter you'd best take away from me via banning 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GM Widower said:

I liked the name Surge Protection proffered a couple pages back.