[Community Request] I suck at character creation

Bopper

8 hours ago, Bopper said:

@Snarkyand @Obus Formyou bring up good points. My willingness to not confine creativity very well may paralyze that creativity without some direction or momentum provided.

I typically do giant characters, but I want to get away from that. So I would like a normal or slightly below average sized character. I want the character to be human. I want the character to be female. I want the character to be a badass, and they will likely serve a support role.

I also like dynamic color. Nothing dreary, but vibrant. It doesnt have to be all vibrant, but at least accents that would pop out. 

That's still fairly vague, but I hope that provides some direction in hope someone can take it and make something unique come to life.

Okay. I am an artist. But i cannot explain how far your parameters are away from my style lol

i never design females characters. I have painted a few but i do not design them in game. I love giant and explore monstrous shapes and oddness of the generator. I love dreary. Really the more you discussed where you were hoping to go the more i felt the bottom drop out

hmmm. However.  I once designed a Brute that used the white skull with a HUGE grin. I dressed that in the carnival outfit, every oiece from head to toe. Then as color theory exercise i put opposing colors on each outfit piece. Blue/orange. Purple/green. Then i would go to the item if clothing next to that and work into a complimentary color and its opposite, then mive to the next. Then step back,  adjust. Get Rid of duplicates And repetitive colors

given that we all love Harley Quinn (if you dont you are dead to me) i offer up some thoughts on making a badass carnie girl

Suggestions from our herd aside, there's always outright theft too.  Go check out the dev threads for the official costume contests they've held and steal what looks good!  Heck, I even have one uploaded right now, I could send it to you, but everyone will think you're that guy they keep killing in the AE farms.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I'm an intensely uncreative person and most of my costumes end up looking very ugly, but I gave it a bash. Since you were set on the idea of electric I decided to go with something that made me think of the black/yellow Electricity hazard symbol. And since it's me, it ended up being technology-based and also kind of ended up being a bit more like a bee than anything else. I think I was subconsciously influenced by Tackle from Kamen Rider Stronger. But she's the Electro-Wave Human so that's perfect I guess!
electriclady.thumb.png.36dfaec4607f7ef3f6f01bdb6a2a5600.png

I kind of gave up when it came to the gloves and just added the big gorilla-esque tech ones because I love them and put them on everything I can. You might prefer another set!

• Like 3

@Hissatsuman, you can mainly find me on Everlasting!

9 hours ago, Snarky said:

Okay. I am an artist. But i cannot explain how far your parameters are away from my style lol

i never design females characters. I have painted a few but i do not design them in game. I love giant and explore monstrous shapes and oddness of the generator. I love dreary. Really the more you discussed where you were hoping to go the more i felt the bottom drop out

hmmm. However.  I once designed a Brute that used the white skull with a HUGE grin. I dressed that in the carnival outfit, every oiece from head to toe. Then as color theory exercise i put opposing colors on each outfit piece. Blue/orange. Purple/green. Then i would go to the item if clothing next to that and work into a complimentary color and its opposite, then mive to the next. Then step back,  adjust. Get Rid of duplicates And repetitive colors

given that we all love Harley Quinn (if you dont you are dead to me) i offer up some thoughts on making a badass carnie girl

Dont let my suggestions deter you. I provided some guidance on what I think my next character could be. But if you have something that inspires you, and it looks good, I might just roll another toon to match its look.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

11 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I'll throw in a stab at it. Started with the Sport set and tweaked stuff from there

3 hours ago, Dreamboat said:

But she's the Electro-Wave Human so that's perfect I guess!

I love the submissions, thank you. Would you mind including the costume files you created with this? I just may throw them in the editor and see how it looks.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

3 minutes ago, Bopper said:

I love the submissions, thank you. Would you mind including the costume files you created with this? I just may throw them in the editor and see how it looks.

Costume file attached!

• Thanks 1

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

13 minutes ago, VileTerror said:

NICE palette, Cutter!  Very nice.

Not so sure about the visor, though.  That might be a good place to throw in a splash of red, purple, or pink.

Thanks Vile! Re: visor, I generally try to stick with 2-3 colours (+ black/white as feels appropriate), so I hadn't considered a tertiary accent for this one. Hmmmm, something to think about for the rest of my dorks...

I just tried it out with a paler pink and it looks decent. Secondary colour should prolly be white instead of blue, but I can't figure out how to delete the screenshot attachment.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

On 3/6/2020 at 2:12 PM, Lines said:

The random button works for me. First time, every time.

I find that I get too many monster heads, demons, and animals, and those just tend not to suit my playstyle.

But it occasionally works out when combining pieces.

5 minutes ago, MyriVerse said:

I find that I get too many monster heads, demons, and animals, and those just tend not to suit my playstyle.

But it occasionally works out when combining pieces.

My thoughts exactly, and its usually the same monstrous heads. Giant crab legs (spider legs?) on the back, too.

I wish there were a way to lock in certain parts, and then click random again for the remaining. I think I could probably use random to build most every character if I could lock in head when I liked it, then say, I like that chest and cape, lock it in and then back to RNG for leg options.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hardship said:

I wish there were a way to lock in certain parts, and then click random again for the remaining. I think I could probably use random to build most every character if I could lock in head when I liked it, then say, I like that chest and cape, lock it in and then back to RNG for leg options.

That would be a cool feature. Speaking of costume design changes, I hope you're checking out the new Page 5 addition on the Beta Forums. Pretty cool stuff for those who like getting creative with costume designs.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 2:12 PM, Lines said:

The random button works for me. First time, every time.

I know you (probably) meant this as a joke, but I do find the random button helpful when I have zero idea what I want my character to look like. Sometimes random will show me some cool piece that I'd forgotten—or never knew about—and that will become the basis of my character's look. Just as often though everything random produces just looks wrong. But, when I think about why it looks wrong, I find that I didn't really have zero idea of what my character should look like after all.

57 minutes ago, Ulysses Dare said:

I know you (probably) meant this as a joke, but I do find the random button helpful when I have zero idea what I want my character to look like. Sometimes random will show me some cool piece that I'd forgotten—or never knew about—and that will become the basis of my character's look. Just as often though everything random produces just looks wrong. But, when I think about why it looks wrong, I find that I didn't really have zero idea of what my character should look like after all.

I've used it for inspiration a few times when I didn't want to go with my default jeans & t shirt.  Occasionally it does spark an idea.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Ulysses Dare said:

Its like flipping a coin, while the coin is in the air you find yourself hoping for an outcome you thought you were ambivelant about.

• Like 2