Pre-Emptive Suggestion: Add More Base Portals to Zones

So, we've known since . . . August?  I wanna say "August" that the base entry command which so many players have come to rely upon for various reasons was never intended to be available to players.  Debate rages on as to the benefit or detriment of this (I'm a firm supporter of "benefit" personally), but we know there are plans in the works for the command to get axed, and for some tweaks to the Base Teleport Powers (yes, Powers, plural, don't forget the Day Job!).

However, in preparation for that day, I would like to encourage the Homecoming Dev Team to consider strategic placement of additional Base Portals throughout the standard Zones.  For bonus points; allow us to exit our Base to any Base Portal in a Zone.

I won't object to the addition of Base Portals in Hazard Zones, buuut I can see a pretty solid argument for keeping those zones -hazardous-.  Maybe just one Portal at the Main Entrance of the Hazards?  (Goodness, which Entrance -is- the Main Entrance for a Zone like Perez?)

I would like to encourage the aforementioned Benefit versus Detriment of travel times to continue in the previous thread, if possible.  I welcome folks to suggest some /loc coordinates for where they'd personally appreciate seeing additional Base Portals pop up.

Thanks.

16 hours ago, MetaVileTerror said:

However, in preparation for that day, I would like to encourage the Homecoming Dev Team to consider strategic placement of additional Base Portals throughout the standard Zones.  For bonus points; allow us to exit our Base to any Base Portal in a Zone.

No.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Seems there was a bit of a misunderstanding there, Lines.  I'm suggesting the addition of multiple Base Portals in each of the standard zones.

For example, in King's Row, leaving the one portal on top of the police headquarters' helipad as-is, and adding an additional portal to High Park in the north end.

I think someone mentioned they plan to make an ouro-like summonable portal for bases which, if/when realized, would make multiple portals per zone moot.

However, if that doesnt come to pass, I would welcome another portal in steel nearer south and ditto that for IP.  I think the very large zones could benefit from such an idea and have the in base portal have a popup like a train to choose north or south steel or whatever.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

However, if that doesnt come to pass, I would welcome another portal in steel nearer south and ditto that for IP.

Except ... for to get to south Steel Canyon from the base portal exit, all you need to do is take a short run/hop/flight/teleport to the Tram and pick South Steel.

For south Independence Port, I often found the fastest way there was to actually use the base portal to Brickstown and then take the Tunnel to south Independence Port.

It's not like we need to take 10-30 minutes of travel time to get around zones, not with Travel Powers available as early as Level 4 ...

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

49 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

However, if that doesnt come to pass, I would welcome another portal in steel nearer south

I think you're confusing base portals (entrance to bases) with teleport beacons (exits from bases via a teleport pad = entrances to zones).

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

I like Praetoria without portals for the simple reason of if I die and go to base, it puts me back where I was rather than some default drop point which may be far from where I was. 

Expanding that, if they give us a summonable base portal, it'd be awesome to rework default spawn points so you end up back where you came from they way Praetoria works now.  Obviously, if you use the portal to switch zones there would need to be default spawn points, so I just mean for use when you die or if you, like me, pop into the base for some enh or something in storage then pop back out in the same zone.

6 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

I think you're confusing base portals (entrance to bases) with teleport beacons (exits from bases via a teleport pad = entrances to zones).

I wasnt really, I often take 8s into steel to fight enemies near the south train and it is sometimes deathy to run to the portal or trainer.  But yes I did reference exiting the base as well (which I didnt make clear would be spawn points) with a choice like the train has, could be either with the main portal or the beacon ones.

Edited by EmmySky

1 minute ago, EmmySky said:

I wasnt really, I often take 8s into steel to fight enemies near the south train and it is sometimes deathy to run to the portal or trainer. 

Than take the tram...  or eat a little debt and take the hospital transporter back to your base...  or use travel powers (yours or temp).

Seriously, while I don't agree with (Meta)vileterror's proposal...  even if it were implemented, "characters knowingly getting in over their heads" is a poor reason to place a portal that's not really needed except by said characters.

11 minutes ago, EmmySky said:

But yes I did reference exiting the base as well with a choice like the train has, could be either with the main portal or the beacon ones.

Other than it would make the menu way too long, I could get behind replacing the teleport system entirely with a system something like this.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!

I don’t think we have anything to really worry about; the reason the command is still usable all these months later is because they’re not going to shut it off before they come up with some solutions to the reasons people latched onto the command in the first place.

Very true, Vanden.  But I figured with the recent surge of interest in the topic again, I'd try to casually intimate some ideas which may not have been on the drawing board yet.

It is one of those topics which leaves me very perplexed, though.  Several of the people who don't like fast travel seem to invoke declarations that the addition of optional options will somehow "cheapen" the game for every player.

25 minutes ago, VileTerror said:

Very true, Vanden.  But I figured with the recent surge of interest in the topic again, I'd try to casually intimate some ideas which may not have been on the drawing board yet.

It is one of those topics which leaves me very perplexed, though.  Several of the people who don't like fast travel seem to invoke declarations that the addition of optional options will somehow "cheapen" the game for every player.

I think it's pointless worrying about such arguments as those people don't speak for other players. Typically it's my conclusion they are really just stating their preference but framing it in a way that includes other players because they think it helps their case.

• Like 1

I wonder if this is really needed if the Pocket D, Base, and Wentworth's teleporters are restored to their Live functionality?  The design decision to limit their use and charge for their usage, is one I've never grasped the logic behind.  Especially since other vet and reward powers are full power and given away totally free or for an effectively nominal fee.

50 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

Typically it's my conclusion they are really just stating their preference but framing it in a way that includes other players because they think it helps their case.

Both sides of any particular argument indulge in this fallacy.  But they only call out the Other Guy...  meaning they don't actually object to the fallacy and seem to be mostly looking to avoid addressing the Other Guy's arguments.

I'd be quite happy if all "Teleport to spot" Powers were given the Ouroboros Portal treatment, Doc_Scorpion.  If that were the case, I could see my suggestion in this thread being total overkill.  But I've not heard any talk from the Homecoming Team discussing the possibility of making all Zone Teleport Powers in to Party Buses.

Would someone care to make that thread?  I'll +Rep them for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

I wonder if this is really needed if the Pocket D, Base, and Wentworth's teleporters are restored to their Live functionality?  The design decision to limit their use and charge for their usage, is one I've never grasped the logic behind.  Especially since other vet and reward powers are full power and given away totally free or for an effectively nominal fee.

What is different from than now compared to live? They seem to function how I remember. 

2 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Both sides of any particular argument indulge in this fallacy.  But they only call out the Other Guy...  meaning they don't actually object to the fallacy and seem to be mostly looking to avoid addressing the Other Guy's arguments.

I agree, I know I'm guilty of it as well.

I believe Doc_Scorpion was referring to how to unlock them, Munki.  Which, other than Wentworth's teleporter, were account-wide purchases with real money.

I do like that spending an hour in Pocket D unlocks the VIP Teleporter.  I'm less keen that parking by the Base Portals doesn't unlock the Base Teleporter Power, though.  Not on its own, anyway; it unlocks the Temporary Base Teleporter Power, and only after you have Patroller/Criminal earnt too.

Unless there were changes to those Powers after 2010 that I'm not aware of.  I stopped playing Legacy around that time.