I’m so stupid!

Peacemoon

I just spent almost 2 hours trying to find Black Swan on the Maria Jenkins mission. The one with the floating islands and the heavy fog. I didn’t realise you could enter the big sphere at the back of the map until clearing the whole map and exploring everywhere multiple times! 😞 

It gets worse, I am a dark/dark/soul controller and the shadow enemies are resistant to negative. Ahh!!!

Help me feel better heroes, what’s the dumbest thing you’ve done on CoH? (Homecoming or live!)

Edited by Peacemoon

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

I recently needed a few complete purple sets and other odds and ends for a build  I shopped hard, bought low, converted cheaper enhancers to make the ones I need.  a little over an hour.  then overbid on my last purchase, enhancement boosters.  by a factor of 10, extra zero.  200 mil gone, because I was bidding on 10

• Sad 1

When a signature arc came out, I ran around and could not find the contact I was supposed to meet in the mission.  Contacted a GM.  The contact was a body on the floor.  They had a yellow mark indicating them, I just never thought it could be a body on the floor.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

When a signature arc came out, I ran around and could not find the contact I was supposed to meet in the mission.  Contacted a GM.  The contact was a body on the floor.  They had a yellow mark indicating them, I just never thought it could be a body on the floor.

OMG me too... I didn't think I'd EVER finish that mish. It was a Arachnos map for me. 

7 minutes ago, Maagic said:

OMG me too... I didn't think I'd EVER finish that mish. It was a Arachnos map for me. 

spent 20 maybe 30 minutes scouring every stinking room in that arachnos map.  found a wiki reference or a message board clue that pointed me right back to the last fight.  it was Habashy right?

Just now, Snarky said:

spent 20 maybe 30 minutes scouring every stinking room in that arachnos map.  found a wiki reference or a message board clue that pointed me right back to the last fight.  it was Habashy right?

I believe so. I've repressed much of it 🙂

I had another similar mission where I cleared everything and couldn't find "The Last Blinky". Well on my map I see something labeled "????" so I go there and there isn't anything in that particular spot. So I get someone from the Help channel to come in and see if he sees anything and he found the blinky for me. It was hiding behind a pylon in a room with a lot of ambient noise and I couldn't hear it. I clicked it, and at the "????" spot an ambush appeared. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

I just spent almost 2 hours trying to find Nightstar on the Maria Jenkins mission. The one with the floating islands and the heavy fog. I didn’t realise you could enter the big sphere at the back of the map until clearing the whole map and exploring everywhere multiple times! 😞 

It gets worse, I am a dark/dark/soul controller and the shadow enemies are resistant to negative. Ahh!!!

Help me feel better heroes, what’s the dumbest thing you’ve done on CoH? (Homecoming or live!)

Not to add insult to injury, but perhaps you should have been looking for Black Swan on that map... 😜

• Haha 8

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

2 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

Not to add insult to injury, but perhaps you should have been looking for Black Swan on that map... 😜

Haha! Yes Black Swan it was.. 😆

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

Dumbest thing I did was on my first character on live (well, second - the first one never broke out of Outbreak).  I bought TOs.  Obsessively.  Every time I leveled, I bought new TOs to keep them maxxed out.  It even got to the point where I was foregoing DOs in order to buy TOs - I couldn't afford DOs (I wonder why), and I figured TOs were better than nothing, so, you know, financial genius at wrok.

Yes, I said "wrok."

• Haha 3

Yeah buying TO, DO, and SO's is a real influence sink, and I used to be guilty of that myself. Now I make IO's at level 22 and keep adding as I level mixing in sets when I can. Once I hit 50, I'll respec and do a proper build.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

This was in the days before IOs, when all your inf came from mobs and selling enh to vendors.

That said, the cost of DOs and even SOs are pocket change nowadays compared to the sale value of orange (and even yellow) salvage and recipes.  While I no longer buy TOs, I do still buy DOs - I usually have more than enough cash by then, and they do make a noticeable difference in those awkward teen levels.

So maybe I'm still being stupid, but, hey, you know what, whatever...

Suggestion, make a targeting macro by name, so you can edit it on the fly for the name of the mob you're looking for in particular. So in really dense groups you can press the macro and if you're in targeting range you have the right target selected.

Comes in really handy for finding an AV or a specially named mob like the special jaegers in the Steel Canyon Signature Arc.

17 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

I just spent almost 2 hours trying to find Nightstar on the Maria Jenkins mission. The one with the floating islands and the heavy fog. I didn’t realise you could enter the big sphere at the back of the map until clearing the whole map and exploring everywhere multiple times! 😞 

I had to consult ParagonWiki to finish that mission. I didn't even know that sphere was there!

15 hours ago, trogenion said:

Spent  like  100 bucks or so on tokens. Days before the shutdown announcement. 

That should have been refunded to you. They refunded any cash purchases made in the 30 days prior to the announcement, though I can't recall if you had to specifically request it. I remember that NCSoft sent me an e-mail about it, and I did indeed receive a refund.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

This was in the days before IOs, when all your inf came from mobs and selling enh to vendors.

That said, the cost of DOs and even SOs are pocket change nowadays compared to the sale value of orange (and even yellow) salvage and recipes.  While I no longer buy TOs, I do still buy DOs - I usually have more than enough cash by then, and they do make a noticeable difference in those awkward teen levels.

So maybe I'm still being stupid, but, hey, you know what, whatever...

Problem with DO's and SO's is you have to keep buying new ones as you level. The light bulb came on for me when I realized that a lvl 25 IO is the same as a lvl 50 SO, and it never losses it's bonus regardless of your level.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

17 minutes ago, Crimsonpyre said:

Problem with DO's and SO's is you have to keep buying new ones as you level. The light bulb came on for me when I realized that a lvl 25 IO is the same as a lvl 50 SO, and it never losses it's bonus regardless of your level.

Eh, would love to respond, but I think I've derailed this thread enough...

7 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

Dumbest thing I did was on my first character on live .... <snipped>

Quoting this intro, because the dumbest thing I did was also the first character I created on Live, during Launch week:

Fiddling around with the character creator I made something I thought "looked cool" without regard to (or really knowledge of) the game mechanics.

Went Broadsword/Dark Armor, with a Tech Origin.  The End usage was brutal enough on its own.  But with Tech as an Origin my contacts kept sending me off to fight Clockwork.  Talk about Hard Mode. 🤣

Didn't take me long to ReRoll that one.  He didn't even make it to his first Travel at 14.

Might be easier these days with all the various perks, but unless you hate the blue bar I wouldn't recommend it.

Edited by InvaderStych
fixing parenthetical comment
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

4 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Suggestion, make a targeting macro by name, so you can edit it on the fly for the name of the mob you're looking for in particular. So in really dense groups you can press the macro and if you're in targeting range you have the right target selected.

Comes in really handy for finding an AV or a specially named mob like the special jaegers in the Steel Canyon Signature Arc.

What would this macro look lime. And how would you edit it on the fly?

4 hours ago, Crimsonpyre said:

Me, I don't start plugging in basic IOs until level 26, ever since I noticed that the bonus on a level 25 IO is lower than a 25 SO right up to character level 25, but the IO is better as soon as you hit level 26.