Discussion: Disabling XP No Longer Increases Influence

Jimmy

• City Council

It's been requested to split this into a separate topic as it was drowning out all other discussion in the other thread.

Please use this thread to discuss the change described below rather than the patch notes thread.

The following change was omitted from the beta patch notes due to a related exploit:

• Influence gain can no longer be increased by disabling XP

We’ve made this change to reduce the influence income gap between players who farm and those that do not. The amount of additional influence gained by abusing level 49 missions simply wasn’t healthy for the overall economy of the game, and generally unfair towards those who play standard level 50 content instead of farming.

Additionally, there were various exploits that could be abused in order to further increase influence gain through this option.

Overall, we concluded it was best to remove the mechanic. Even with this change farming is still far more efficient than every other method of influence gain.

• Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Bravo! Thanks HC team!

And thank goodness on the closure of exploits.

But to be clear, if I turn off xp in all situations, such as regular 50 content, I will no longer get increased inf? Meaning, if I am 50 and disbale xp, will the normal increase in inf for normal missions at 50 have higher inf than earning xp/vet lvls?

Edited by SwitchFade
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

• City Council
3 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

But to be clear, if I turn off xp in all situations, such as regular 50 content, I will no longer get increased inf?

Correct - but everyone else is on the same playing field, so the net difference if you weren't abusing level 49 missions is zero.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Just now, Jimmy said:

Correct - but everyone else is on the same playing field, so the net difference if you weren't abusing level 49 missions is zero.

Ok, I'll playtest to see. I turn off xp on my 50's that have full incarnates to increase inf in tf's and 50 content, I never use AE. This may be a decrease in inf for normal content then. But a decrease for everyone, so it's a moot point in 3 weeks 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• City Council
2 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

Ok, I'll playtest to see. I turn off xp on my 50's that have full incarnates to increase inf in tf's and 50 content, I never use AE. This may be a decrease in inf for normal content then. But a decrease for everyone, so it's a moot point in 3 weeks 

Long-term your (slightly smaller amount of) influence earned from normal play will be worth more as there will be far less influence being generated by those level 49 missions (and the related exploit).

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Except there's a flaw in the "worth more" thing . . . the fixed price items in the game are still set to fixed prices.  The reduction to Inf earnt means those items are now -more- expensive.  

When there's an imbalance in the player market, I think it's the market that should be changed, not the means of earning currency.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just checking - if you turn off experience, that amount of experience is no longer turned into influence? I don't mean the double that used to happen, just that experience number is no longer influence? I forgot exactly how that worked.

So can someone break down this for me:

I'm level 50, and fighting a level 54 boss.

Before this patch I would get:

level 50: _______ XP and _____ Inf (will need someone to fill this in, can't remember)

XP off I would get: 89k Inf

XP off and double inf while exempting to even level 49 I would get: 115k influence.

What would I get for those now?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

29 minutes ago, The Curator said:

The following change was omitted from the beta patch notes due to a related exploit:

• Influence gain can no longer be increased by disabling XP

We’ve made this change to reduce the influence income gap between players who farm and those that do not. The amount of additional influence gained by abusing level 49 missions simply wasn’t healthy for the overall economy of the game, and generally unfair towards those who play standard level 50 content instead of farming.

Additionally, there were various exploits that could be abused in order to further increase influence gain through this option.

Overall, we concluded it was best to remove the mechanic. Even with this change farming is still far more efficient than every other method of influence gain.

And So It Begins.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

• City Council
5 minutes ago, ArchVileTerror said:

Except there's a flaw in the "worth more" thing . . . the fixed price items in the game are still set to fixed prices.  The reduction to Inf earnt means those items are now -more- expensive.  

When there's an imbalance in the player market, I think it's the market that should be changed, not the means of earning currency.

The imbalance wasn't in the market though - it was in the means of earning currency.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

And So It Begins.

I prefer "So, it has come to this."

I, too, turned off XP while exemplared for my 50s to increase my Influence gain.  It was nice, but I understand the rationale behind the change.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

And So It Begins.

A year of afk farming, well-known afk farming, let me make 5 consecutive farming accounts of afk farming has led to a superior surplus in influence. However, you had to start addressing it somehow. 

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

Just now, Mystic Fortune said:

...and now everything that is great about this update will now be overshadowed by this huge INF nerf. Boo! Boo I say!

Sadly, the verbiage of Exploit when it was seemingly a feature since Briggs' AE farm way back in May 2019 makes even me say: "Wait... I was exploiting?"

Players have all emotes, costumes, costume change emotes, can make a Crafting table for just 10 million from p2w without getting the badge, etc., so many of the influence sinks don't exist. I guess it depends if you want 1000 alts at 500 mil to 1 billion builds per that you keep needing to farm. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Obus Form said:

More efficient than converting/flipping? =O

Anecdotally, converting/flipping surpasses all. The only issues preventing folks from making billions is the start-up inf required. (or converters/merits which can be converted into adequate inf easily enough) 

• Like 2