I've got a fan (or stalker)

You ever have someone in CoH (or any other MMO) just suddenly ahow up and folliw you everywhere? They don't talk, or fight, or anything, other than sometimes getting in your way. It is a rather strange way to troll someone, I rather wonder what they get out of it.

For the scarifying misadventures of Mike Morbid, go to Twitter and look for @JMikeMorbid

Yup.

I had someone make a point of pushing my character around while I was doing some Global Channel Op duties.  They would run in to my character again and again, nudging them over time.  Didn't recognize them or their Global Handle.  Didn't bother reporting them, but it was still a vexing experience.

• Like 1

IDK, mine is more mutual and amusing as it's more like "which one of us is going to reply first?" sort of things. :p

You know who you are! :D

• Like 2

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

No, but then I am typically doing content arcs, TFs, or something that would shake such a character unless they were really keen and just lurked outside missions until we came out.  That would be very weird, but totally amusing.  We'd all laugh our butts off, I'm sure! 

@ArchVileTerror I'm not a fan of the "nudgers," but I just assume they have real life issues that they need to vent by nudging my character.  If it makes them feel better in some small, petty way, shrug.  It's all good.  I've gotten to the point now that I don't even move out of the way, just let them nudge my toon around until they get bored with it (unless I have somewhere to be; I wouldn't keep a team/tf waiting to indulge some passive aggressive's need to be annoying).

• Like 1

Tahliah, I have a similar approach. When I reach a safe point where I don't have to worry about being attacked, I just turn my character to face them, then I go read a book, play on my phone, or other such thing. I usually come back after a while to find they've departed. I think once in ten years the person has been obsessive enough to wait it out.

• Haha 1

For the scarifying misadventures of Mike Morbid, go to Twitter and look for @JMikeMorbid

3 hours ago, EmmySky said:

Are y'all sure you didn't accidently roll MMs?

😝

*snickers* Pretty sure... I mean, Artemian KNOWS a Mastermind or two, but he's never tried to be one. He's just a goofy mage in a bow tie. XD

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I find it weird that people here think the "nudgers" have "problems." They just think it's funny.

I've only been nudged once, and it was by someone amused I basically had a male version of their character. Kind of a literal nudge nudge wink wink.

Edited by Replacement

On 5/24/2020 at 11:18 AM, Replacement said:

I find it weird that people here think the "nudgers" have "problems." They just think it's funny.

Purposely pushing somebody around without their consent is creepy and wrong wherever it occurs. It doesn't matter if they think it is funny.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vulpoid said:

Purposely pushing somebody around without their consent is creepy and wrong wherever it occurs. It doesn't matter if they think it is funny.

Equally valid statements:

Quoting my posts without my consent is creepy and wrong wherever it occurs.

Dropping a level 50 enhancement on my level 1 character without my consent is creepy and wrong wherever it occurs.

Using the toy bat power on my character without my consent is creepy and wrong wherever it occurs.

Stop trying to declare everything you cannot control is evil.

Note: I would never defend following people around to make them uncomfortable, let alone inappropriate messages or emotes. But literally pushing a character around? There are so many more qualified uses for your entitled outrage. I suggest the news.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I only really notice the excessive nudging that occurs when zoning or team teleporting. I think that is just because the game tries to stick the characters models in the same spot and it takes a while for the server and clients to fight it out for positioning.

Other than that, maybe I just don't notice. Sometimes if I'm trying to level up at Ms. Liberty or something, but it is almost always a crowded place where I notice it so I assume it is just a crowding issue more than intentional.

On 5/24/2020 at 8:18 AM, Replacement said:

I've only been nudged once, and it was by someone amused I basically had a male version of their character. Kind of a literal nudge nudge wink wink.

They're annoying people "for the lolz"... I don't think that means they have problems. I think it means they're assholes.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

3 hours ago, Replacement said:

Note: I would never defend following people around to make them uncomfortable

A very odd thing to say - right after you defend an act that makes people uncomfortable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

5 hours ago, Vulpoid said:

Twinshot and Flamebeaux still do it to me every time I do some of the Shining Stars missions.  They try to "follow me" right onto the exact pixel I'm standing on and they just won't STOP.  Seriously, enough!

(Though yes, as omg really I find it when it's NPC's and bad AI, it would be... disturbing... for actual human players to do that to me.)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

A very odd thing to say - right after you defend an act that makes people uncomfortable.

I also think it's wrong to be misogynistic, and I think it's wrong to steal while I'm at it.  But go ahead, ignore that human morality is nuanced and driven by zeitgeist.  Pretend you've never heard of drawing a line in the sand.

EDIT: I think I need to be more clear: I declared I have morals and things I find unacceptable. I just don't think pushing people around qualifies. Your retort reads as "you are a hypocrite because you have morals." Nonsense.

Edited by Replacement

30 minutes ago, Replacement said:

I also think it's wrong to be misogynistic, and I think it's wrong to steal while I'm at it.  But go ahead, ignore that human morality is nuanced and driven by zeitgeist.  Pretend you've never heard of drawing a line in the sand.

EDIT: I think I need to be more clear: I declared I have morals and things I find unacceptable. I just don't think pushing people around qualifies. Your retort reads as "you are a hypocrite because you have morals." Nonsense.

In this case, it is not the act itself that is objectional, it is the intent. The reason that somebody is intentionally pushing around another person's character is to bother them, and that should be unacceptable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike Morbid said:

In this case, it is not the act itself that is objectional, it is the intent. The reason that somebody is intentionally pushing around another person's character is to bother them, and that should be unacceptable.

If they do it again and again to the same person, I'm largely forced to agree.

If it's a one-of event, I just assume the person was autorun / AFK and had to deal with kids or phone or a pot of water boilling over and they just happened to slam into me while AFK.

Bumping in to someone at random is not at all the same thing as the "nudgers" (as they've been dubbed in this thread).  The nudgers are the ones who make a concentrated effort to continuously force another player-character to move by repeatably making contact.  Hence the opinion that there's something wrong with these nudgers and/or they're assholes.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2020 at 7:45 PM, Vulpoid said:

Back on live, I did make a mini version of one of my good friend's characters and followed him around loudly  begging to be his sidekick, but we were both in on the joke....

Back on live, someone made a Mini Ironblade who was about 3' tall.

Also, I made a parody of someone, replacing a key part of their name with the word Noobsauce and copying their color scheme.

Of course, both of these people were in my SG so this wasn't actually stalking.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 5/23/2020 at 6:47 PM, Mike Morbid said:

You ever have someone in CoH (or any other MMO) just suddenly ahow up and folliw you everywhere?

Yes, New Years Day on Homecoming, Baby New Year was on me like Glue and the little tike just refused to give up. It was very sad to team with others with the same issue as you ended up with a pile of temporarily Dead Babies outside the mission door, who would reappear when you exited mission. Very Creepy, Very Strange, and thankfully short lived.

• Like 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X