Does Psy melee need love?

Seroster01

I've made a Psy/EnA Scrapper that's up to 28 right now & while I like the animations & "feel" of him pretty well, I already feel like his damage is going to be lackluster later in the game. Both my current in-game experience & the info on the Scrapper spreadsheet lead me to believe that it has relatively low ST DPS & doesn't seem to do any one thing particularly better than any of the other melee options. Tack on that Insight has pretty poor functionality & Psy being a great damage type vs. player characters but not that great vs NPCs & we've got a set that seems particularly underperforming relative to its competition.

This lead me to pondering why the set is so lackluster. Mass levitate looks nice, but it doesn't seem appreciably better than, say, Footstomp on an SS Brute. I'd say it's just outright worse than a properly slotted Savage Leap, and Sav. Melee has both more AOE than PM & much higher ST damage to boot! Nothing else in the set seems particularly noteworthy, certainly nothing that would warrant it being the 2nd lowest performer in ST DPS AND having a mediocre damage type. 

Anyone got some insight here? Have I missed something that makes it all worth it? Should we start a feedback thread to ask for buffs and/or explanations as to why it's in this state? I really want to like it, but there just doesn't seem be a good reason to pick it over another option other than I like the way it looks (& that can only go so far.) OFC Energy Melee is probably in worse shape & it doesn't seem to high on the list of things to be fixed either, so this may be fruitless...

Looking forward to some feedback here. 

Edited by Seroster01

You have definitely got some warranted complaints here, no doubt. Psi Melee has the second** highest damage single target power in the game for Scrappers with GPB at base (after Rend Armor) and it accepts a boatload of procs, so its burst ST is obscene, you should have a very easy time downing a boss. For this reason, Psi Melee is usually seen as better on a Stalker where you can force that to crit into a real whammy. 

So a big reason this set falls in performance overall is due to the fact that the Insight mechanic is very short-lived and is on lockouts for large amounts of time. This should probably be addressed soon. The reason its ST isn't great is probably due to its obscene bursting damage ability relative to other sets. Your point about Mass Levitate, you must realize that it is a higher-damage AoE, Savage's Leap is more damage, but double the recharge. Savage also doesn't do the exceptionally heavy burst damage that Psi can in ST, even though Psi loses it in sustained damage. It also doesn't help that it is so highly resisted end-game.

I'm also going to tell you that not every set will be Titan Weapons. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but expecting a set to be the "best!" at something would be a little bit disingenuous seeing as how we have more than 20 different melee sets spread across the ATs! Not every set is going to be a clear victor over anything, that's just how it will always boil down to, but I can definitely see them fine-tuning the Insight Mechanic and possibly improving some of the "lower" attacks.

Edited by Zeraphia

I haven't played it, but the most consistent complaint is the lack of Insight working in a satisfactory way. It would be nice if their T7 wasn't a ST Confuse. It could be made to open earlier and have something more fitting in its place, or be an AoE, or really just anything better. Hell, just for the sake of countering it being resisted so hard at times, a damage aura wouldn't be a bad idea. Not really ground breaking since Rad has one. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

The Insight mechanic is clunky, and getting a smooth attack chain you can mindlessly mash is rather difficult.  It needs more AoE earlier.  But if you can time your Critical Strike proc you can one shot all sorts of things.

Made mine to replace the Titan Weapon scrapper who I don't see having much of a future.  Boggle seems utterly pointless.  Confuses are useless on teams even on a controller. 

That said, the set does make a good replacement for the TW scrapper: this one can only go up.

• Confused 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

It needs a LITTLE love.  The AoE is great, and the cone is not bad.  Boggle is a missed opportunity (should be a high, single-target damage attack with a confuse - that'd be unique!) and should be skipped.

As others have said all over the forums, Insight is not a good mechanic, as it has duration issues.  I think when tanks had a broken GSB (insight strike spread!) it was better.  It got "fixed" and is now lack-luster like all the other ATs.

Apart from proc'ing it out on a stalker, I'd skip it.  Also, psi damage is resisted heavily in the incarnate trials (robots/clockwork).  It *is* fun on the ITF though (where it eats through MoG and Unstoppable on those EB's).

Too few attacks, I get bored with it.

I only with that MIND CONTROL got TK changed into Psi Melee's Mass Levitate.

On 6/4/2020 at 3:18 AM, Zeraphia said:

I'm also going to tell you that not every set will be Titan Weapons. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but expecting a set to be the "best!" at something would be a little bit disingenuous seeing as how we have more than 20 different melee sets spread across the ATs! Not every set is going to be a clear victor over anything, that's just how it will always boil down to, but I can definitely see them fine-tuning the Insight Mechanic and possibly improving some of the "lower" attacks.

My point was more that the damage output is pretty poor to start with (the only sets that have lower base DPS are Elec w/ a better damage type & the 2 sets that have a perma-buildup mechanic), then it has a damage type that's oddly weaker than most competing sets, AND THEN, on top of those things, it also doesn't do anything particularly well when compared to other sets. That's a trifecta of blah, and AFAIK it doesn't even have any pure-Psy attacks to bypass the more common defenses. GPB is nice & all, but the animation delay is so long that in groups, mobs will frequently die from team damage before the hit comes in from GPB. The <10s difference in CD (with a full lvl 50 build) between Leap & Mass Lev doesn't seem like a particularly big deal when compared to the 5 ft larger radius & almost 2x the damage of multiple types due to Leap having ~90% chance to Proc anything put in it. Recharge doesn't matter all that much when the alpha strike from Leap 1-shots almost any minion it hits.

What it feels like the set really needs is either a shortening of animation and/or recharge times, primarily on GPB (ideally it would do somewhat lower damage but result in a net gain in DPA) or more to my preference, a significant overhaul of mob resistances to make Psy actually a solid damage type (an idea I'd file under "unlikely to ever happen"). Other things I'd settle for are a better functioning Insight having no lockout and/or not be consumed by GPB, having Concentration grant Insight even if it's on CD, or even shifting a larger portion of damage done to S/L (which is far more COMMONLY resisted but doesn't seem to be quite as heavily resisted).

Anyway I'm just kinda frustrated cause there's a lot of stuff I like about the set, but it just seems like when you take everything together it's probably the worst Scrapper set we have available...

Edited by Seroster01

On 6/4/2020 at 10:29 AM, Heraclea said:

The Insight mechanic is clunky

This is it right here.  You can't play around it really.  It's just random extra damage that's super inconsistent.

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

On 6/4/2020 at 1:55 PM, r0y said:

It needs a LITTLE love.  The AoE is great, and the cone is not bad.  Boggle is a missed opportunity (should be a high, single-target damage attack with a confuse - that'd be unique!) and should be skipped.

As others have said all over the forums, Insight is not a good mechanic, as it has duration issues.  I think when tanks had a broken GSB (insight strike spread!) it was better.  It got "fixed" and is now lack-luster like all the other ATs.

Apart from proc'ing it out on a stalker, I'd skip it.  Also, psi damage is resisted heavily in the incarnate trials (robots/clockwork).  It *is* fun on the ITF though (where it eats through MoG and Unstoppable on those EB's).

Too few attacks, I get bored with it.

I only with that MIND CONTROL got TK changed into Psi Melee's Mass Levitate.

A ranged mass levitate would be nice tnh 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Seroster01 said:

The <10s difference in CD (with a full lvl 50 build) between Leap & Mass Lev doesn't seem like a particularly big deal when compared to the 5 ft larger radius & almost 2x the damage of multiple types due to Leap having ~90% chance to Proc anything put in it. Recharge doesn't matter all that much when the alpha strike from Leap 1-shots almost any minion it hits.

When you are balancing sets, you generally look at DPS balance... and a power that does double the damage on double the recharge is generally balanced vs the other power. So if Savage Leap does double the damage of Mass Lev but has twice the recharge (higher, actually, because you spend more slots in it for damage procs to get the damage), then overall they're pretty comparable. And Mass Levi takes FF, which is a nice bonus.

Also, damage isn't everything that's balanced... as I say about Savage Melee, it has almost negative mitigation... it has little in the way of knockdowns and nothing else, and has DoTs that allow mobs to attack even though they're effectively defeated. Meanwhile, Psy Melee has a Confuse, a Hold, and a guaranteed knockup. When you're balancing sets, the one that has more mitigation SHOULD do less damage. If you're playing in steamrolling teams where mitigation doesn't matter, then the truth is that you're playing a set that has a strength, but you're in a situation where that strength doesn't matter. But if you solo difficult scenarios like Praetoria to First Ward to Night Ward, like I'm doing with my Psy Stalker, the damage mitigation IS appreciated.

You're right, in a way... if you're going to be in situations where damage mitigation isn't relevant, and where damage output of the team is so high that having Mass Lev available within 10 seconds is irrelevant because the spawn is mostly erased by then, then Psy Melee is completely crappy. But that's putting the character in the exact scenario where Savage Melee's weaknesses (longer recharge on the AoE and lack of damage mitigation) are irrelevant, and its burst AoE damage is front and center, and using that to argue about how SM > PM.

For the record, I do think that SM > PM... but not by that much. Psy Melee is really good for soloing and for soloing hard content where you LIKE having the ability to Hold nasty bosses (with a Chance to Hold proc added to GPB), Confuse a LT who has unpleasant buffs or debuffs, etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JayboH said:

This is it right here.  You can't play around it really.  It's just random extra damage that's super inconsistent.

I only got about 25 levels in on a scrapper, and this comment and the one it referred to speak to me.  I never understood how the mechanic worked, and still don’t, so I treated it exactly as random extra damage.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

22 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I only got about 25 levels in on a scrapper, and this comment and the one it referred to speak to me.  I never understood how the mechanic worked, and still don’t, so I treated it exactly as random extra damage.

That’s exactly how it works 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Coyote said:

When you are balancing sets, you generally look at DPS balance... and a power that does double the damage on double the recharge is generally balanced vs the other power. So if Savage Leap does double the damage of Mass Lev but has twice the recharge (higher, actually, because you spend more slots in it for damage procs to get the damage), then overall they're pretty comparable. And Mass Levi takes FF, which is a nice bonus.

Also, damage isn't everything that's balanced... as I say about Savage Melee, it has almost negative mitigation... it has little in the way of knockdowns and nothing else, and has DoTs that allow mobs to attack even though they're effectively defeated. Meanwhile, Psy Melee has a Confuse, a Hold, and a guaranteed knockup. When you're balancing sets, the one that has more mitigation SHOULD do less damage. If you're playing in steamrolling teams where mitigation doesn't matter, then the truth is that you're playing a set that has a strength, but you're in a situation where that strength doesn't matter. But if you solo difficult scenarios like Praetoria to First Ward to Night Ward, like I'm doing with my Psy Stalker, the damage mitigation IS appreciated.

You're right, in a way... if you're going to be in situations where damage mitigation isn't relevant, and where damage output of the team is so high that having Mass Lev available within 10 seconds is irrelevant because the spawn is mostly erased by then, then Psy Melee is completely crappy. But that's putting the character in the exact scenario where Savage Melee's weaknesses (longer recharge on the AoE and lack of damage mitigation) are irrelevant, and its burst AoE damage is front and center, and using that to argue about how SM > PM.

For the record, I do think that SM > PM... but not by that much. Psy Melee is really good for soloing and for soloing hard content where you LIKE having the ability to Hold nasty bosses (with a Chance to Hold proc added to GPB), Confuse a LT who has unpleasant buffs or debuffs, etc.

But like I said, Leap will 1-shot almost minion it hits. Recharge doesn't matter when they're all dead instantly. Even if it didn't, following it up w/ Rending Flurry will DEFINITELY kill any minion they both hit, well before a 2nd Mass Lev is available. CC & mitigation aren't terribly important when you can insta-gib most of a mob group before they can even attack you.

Secondarily, even sets w/ similar or better CC have significantly more damage than Psi. WM is chock full of Disorients, KD, & KU abilities, has more AOE & is still one of the top performing ST sets. It does Smashing, which is probably one of the only damage types worse than Psy, but it's ST DPS is around ~21% higher than PM's attack chain so that barely matters. Best that can be said for PM over WM Is Mass Lev is easier to hit more targets with than Pendulum, but it's not like Pendulum is difficult to aim & still hits a large # of targets with relative ease.

Like I said before, anything Psy melee does, another melee set does as well or better & w/ more damage to boot. Thus my consternation, as it's like they penalized PM's damage output for having a "good" damage type, even though it's not that great of a damage type in PVE content...

Edit: I said Pendulum, I meant Crowd Control...

Edited by Seroster01

• 2 months later

As someone who rolled my live BS/DA to PM/DA, I’ve been pretty disappointed. I stuck it out to 50, and a full build, and can say boggle and insight are missed opportunities, and the psi damage type trade off is both underwhelming in breadth and overpenalized in depth. I can also echo the sentiment that GPB feels slow. Psi Blade Sweep could have a little more range too.

Please awesome HC team, put this primary on your radar for QoL buffs, damage tuning, and partial revamp.

8 minutes ago, Sakai said:

Did we have Psionic on Live or was it here when we came home?  Fuzzy on that one. 

Not really sure either, but I thought it was one of the last sets released on live, or one of those that was on the PTR right before shutdown... But this is based solely on a vague recollection of someone on these forums saying the Live devs didn't do a great job on it, so take that with a grain of salt.

• Thanks 1

I have mixed feelings about this set. A lot of it comes down to how much you value a single target Confuse.

On the one hand it's not great in a lot of steam-roll type content.

On the other, it's probably the best power you can get to tackle difficult AE content. Boggle obeys all the rules of the Controller versions of single target mezzes. Most of the actual Control sets don't even get a power like this. Since it is difficult for mission designers to give their custom creatures Confuse protection, a Psi Melee character can in some cases bring better controls than an actual Dominator or Controller. When you Confuse something you inherit whatever overpowered attacks, buffs or controls it has, so its very hard to determine how much damage this set brings in this situation. 

That may not appease everyone, because not everyone does AE missions, but it's something.   

• Like 1

I made this to see what could be done with procs to give psi damage a boost when fighting resistant mobs. Its a first draft and could probably use adjusting. I am not sure INV is the best secondary for psi.

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Psi INV: Level 50 Natural Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Psionic Melee
Secondary Power Set: Invulnerability
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Body Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Mental Strike -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(7)
Level 1: Resist Physical Damage -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(7), ImpArm-ResPsi(9)
Level 2: Psi Blade -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(9), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(13), TchofDth-Dam%(13)
Level 4: Temp Invulnerability -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17), RctArm-ResDam(19), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(19), ImpArm-ResPsi(21)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 8: Dull Pain -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(21), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(23), Prv-Heal/Rchg(23), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(25), Prv-Absorb%(25)
Level 10: Telekinetic Blow -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(27), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(27), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), TchofDth-Dam%(29), GldStr-%Dam(31)
Level 12: Psi Blade Sweep -- SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprCrtStr-Dmg/Rchg(31), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprCrtStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(33)
Level 14: Concentration -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 16: Unyielding -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(34), RctArm-ResDam(34), ImpArm-ResPsi(36)
Level 18: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 20: Tough -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(36), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(36), RctArm-ResDam(37), ImpArm-ResPsi(37)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(37), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(39), LucoftheG-Def(39)
Level 24: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(39)
Level 26: Greater Psi Blade -- Hct-Dam%(A), Mk'Bit-Dam%(40), GldStr-%Dam(40), TchofDth-Dam%(40), UnbCns-Dam%(42), GldNet-Dam%(42)
Level 28: Invincibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(42), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(43), LucoftheG-Def(43), GssSynFr--Build%(43), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(45)
Level 30: Resist Energies -- Ags-Psi/Status(A)
Level 32: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(45)
Level 35: Tough Hide -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(45), Rct-ResDam%(46), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(46)
Level 38: Mass Levitate -- Erd-%Dam(A), ScrDrv-Dam%(46), Obl-%Dam(48), Arm-Dam%(48), ExpStr-Dam%(48), FrcFdb-Rechg%(50)
Level 41: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 44: Resist Elements -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A)
Level 47: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Physical Perfection -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Critical Hit
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Heal-I(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(15), Mrc-Rcvry+(15)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(17)
------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
		|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
		|MxDz;1470;702;1404;HEX;|
		|78DA6594596F125114C7EFC020768142295D2C4BD9CA5628B83C695D6AABA95D829|
		|2F415A7706D271220408DC4271F7CD7AAA94BA26F465FFC202EF16B68B5AD891F00|
		|4FE7FCA14D98407EDC73EEFF7FCF3933C3EAC385C1CF371F5F118AFD7A596B340AF|
		|9625DABD564DDBAA635B7EB5A59D065CD35F4A9A5B5752BFDF6743614566559CA34|
		|A5AA15BDC8ABA96E7241DE9395864C2F551E6C972BB2AE6DE865BDD91283B96AB59|
		|C5E915A4DAF6CDA8CC50D7D73AB49ABA14EAA24EB8D2DBDD66FACF335294BCEC59A|
		|5E4CCF574BADC2AAD668CA7A6B9C4A99A6EF6E44E06A5BC4535588AC2A4CCFC01DA|
		|6FA1C7CC13CF59279F1A81FC5D09AC418FDF052EEACD9C89D8ED33AAA8A57116C21|
		|7FE50B725F99FDDFC0EFCCC11F604118DA4BE46F667FD5EC633F4780391C04FDCC1|
		|19C374A1A0B6B84C5AD187E7314B3A206EB4F3E63E41773740FFCCD1CFF03EE335F|
		|53FD7DD0F6E50841559CB90DDE617AF220EAF6C558FB96B403D00EDCE599F934708|
		|33955044BA064BE21AD8DB5C2961446EC435C8821CC6308F308601E01CC2180B984|
		|300F1335EE848FB34D973053C40517175C427009C1250C97305C54D2B859637663A|
		|A610773DA058E308769EF18EF55C6025CF934F88EBA9AC0442692262316BDCFB928|
		|A616C514E34B9C8F2F72FC1AF94E2A8AA19D440D71D490400D09D490F8C4DA998FC|
		|CABA4F5E2A9F05EE09E8214F3A34E3F263C03CE532E887E83386B06DEA97F5C4F6A|
		|99F99E7A8AF05E4BE4C064BC05A947EC332B78CFEC1CD731DB22BA54917DC26B279|
		|D13430D319C93454F97299744CD49DC873CD9A57137D39DA7821E930C3C327BFCF4|
		|640F991EB5FB76D3E7E8EEFBD5EE3BDB5E4E74B3ED44CFCE4C4F24DB1339D71339D|
		|F135939194971CD39B5FBAF209430C7FA1CE2685A4635FBFD9447EF0A3487C73193|
		|12E0B9DAD77956F65B3C9F8393BA18EBFE1EC7146597E7EED861FE074530D594|
		|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

Edited by Marshal_General
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JnEricsonx said:

I will admit, Psy Melee's T9 power doesn't necessarily FEEL like I'm hitting like the truck a T9 should be.  But that could be just my perception.

I actually feel somewhat the opposite. Especially after sticking 2 purple damage procs into the power it seems to hit pretty hard... but it's slow & my bigger concern is that it consumes Insight. In most combat encounters I'd rather have Insight boosting multiple AOE damage attacks instead of giving a single extra hit to an already pretty strong ST attack, which gives me motivation to NOT use it. IMO this is the biggest fundamental design flaw in PM; Insight seems better used buffing multiple attacks than it does being consumed to cause an already strong ST attack to do more ST damage, which makes you not want to use an attack w/ potentially 2 strong procs & that seems intended to be the main source of DPS in its attack chain.

OFC the issue is compounded by the issue of resistances, so it depends a lot on you're attacking. Due to the discussed resistance problem & the damage split for GPB, there's an unfortunate # of mob types that can make it feel like you're attacking w/ a psy-powered Funoodle...

I've mostly given up on changes for PM in the short term, because every time I think about whether it's going to get changed soon I immediately think "Really, they should probably do something about EN first..." Since I haven't heard even a hint of anything to that effect, I'm mentally twiddling my thumbs on this issue...

Edited by Seroster01

19 hours ago, Seroster01 said:

I actually feel somewhat the opposite. Especially after sticking 2 purple damage procs into the power it seems to hit pretty hard... but it's slow & my bigger concern is that it consumes Insight. In most combat encounters I'd rather have Insight boosting multiple AOE damage attacks instead of giving a single extra hit to an already pretty strong ST attack, which gives me motivation to NOT use it. IMO this is the biggest fundamental design flaw in PM; Insight seems better used buffing multiple attacks than it does being consumed to cause an already strong ST attack to do more ST damage, which makes you not want to use an attack w/ potentially 2 strong procs & that seems intended to be the main source of DPS in its attack chain.

OFC the issue is compounded by the issue of resistances, so it depends a lot on you're attacking. Due to the discussed resistance problem & the damage split for GPB, there's an unfortunate # of mob types that can make it feel like you're attacking w/ a psy-powered Funoodle...

I've mostly given up on changes for PM in the short term, because every time I think about whether it's going to get changed soon I immediately think "Really, they should probably do something about EN first..." Since I haven't heard even a hint of anything to that effect, I'm mentally twiddling my thumbs on this issue...

The T9 is Mass Levitate, not GPS.

In a better world we would be able to track buffs and keep an eye on Insight and only use GPS at the very last second to consume the buff. Too much hassle though. tests can be re-done but last time someone got the same numbers by only using GPS at the last second of Insight, and then not using GPS at all.

Which makes sense since if we are using one attack every 30-40 seconds then it will not have a large impact.

2 hours ago, Sovera said:

The T9 is Mass Levitate, not GPS.

In a better world we would be able to track buffs and keep an eye on Insight and only use GPS at the very last second to consume the buff. Too much hassle though. tests can be re-done but last time someone got the same numbers by only using GPS at the last second of Insight, and then not using GPS at all.

Which makes sense since if we are using one attack every 30-40 seconds then it will not have a large impact.

Ah, you're right of course.

More to your point, I don't think I'd like it any better if the only change was making it easier to track. It would be nice of course, but one of the biggest problems w/ PM is that Insight is unreliable AND has pretty poor uptime. If GPB is going to continue to consume Insight then Insight itself needs some type of overhaul. My preferences would be for either significantly reducing/completely removing the lockout time for it, or some combination of those & a reliable way to proc it. I seem to have touched on this earlier in the thread, but I think something that could really help the set is for Concentration to grant Insight (ignoring the lockout if that mechanic is retained). Several other sets have their BU equivalent fill or proc that set's resources upon activation, not sure why Psy doesn't. Don't know how much this would actually increase uptime, but I think it would be a great help to be able to reliably cast a couple of Insight'd Mass Levs to start combat.

Anyone else got some suggestions? We've talked a lot about what's wrong with the set in this thread, IDK that we've had a lot of suggestions on what we think would make it better.