Wind Control and Holy Light

I've played a little on the cogx server, mainly to try powersets that HC does not have. I'm probably beating a dead horse but, is there any chance we will be seeing Wind Control for Doms and Trollers and/or Holy Light for Defenders?

I liked both powersets on the cogx server but most of my friends are on HC.

Thanks in advance for reading,

Tech

• Like 1

I doubt anything would be a direct port.  For one thing, the HC Devs have done quite a bit of work to get things to run in 64 bit, and to try to untangle all of NCSoft's wonderful Spaghetti Code, down to at least, Ziti Code. (is that a phrase?  if not, I'm declaring it one)

So there would still be a moderate effort to take whatever is there, unpack it to it's components, translate it over in the re-factored code environment, and then box it up, and then still playtest it out, and ensure that they were happy with the animations.  

I'd hope this happens for at least Wind Control, but I'd keep any expectations very low and just say whatever we get, whenever we get it, is a gift. 

I don't need the shiniest new toy now-darnit-now.  I'm content to wait for something that meshes with the rest of the game and works well on the HC platform.

Holy Light, I admit, I'm looking askance at that, just by the name.  Because I'm picturing a flotilla of Villanous Holy Light Corruptors or Masterminds, and thinking to myself that Light can't be all that Holy if I can use it to go on a Mayhem Mission with, or if I can use that "Holy" Light to enforce the will of Praetor Tilman and Sinclair and Emperor Cole as a Power Loyalilst.   At the very least I'd probably want such a powerset to be renamed to something a touch more neutral.  

Holy light objection retracted.

Edited by MTeague
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, technohoungan said:

I've played a little on the cogx server, mainly to try powersets that HC does not have. I'm probably beating a dead horse but, is there any chance we will be seeing Wind Control for Doms and Trollers and/or Holy Light for Defenders?

I liked both powersets on the cogx server but most of my friends are on HC.

Thanks in advance for reading,

Tech

It's worth noting:

Wind Control was in development pre-shutdown, so I would expect an attempt to create it here.

Holy Light on the other hand? Dreamed up entirely by coxg devs. Not only does HC have no reason to compare themselves to that server's offerings -- coxg would, as usual, accuse HC of stealing code or ideas or whatever's fashionable today anyway.

It's in HC's best interest to stay their own path and develop their branch in a bubble. They will strive to add material that feels like an extension of the will of the original studio.

And that means if they were to add something comparable to Holy Light, they would probably be best served not even reading about how coxg's works. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, MTeague said:

Holy Light, I admit, I'm looking askance at that, just by the name.  Because I'm picturing a flotilla of Villanous Holy Light Corruptors or Masterminds, and thinking to myself that Light can't be all that Holy if I can use it to go on a Mayhem Mission with, or if I can use that "Holy" Light to enforce the will of Praetor Tilman and Sinclair and Emperor Cole as a Power Loyalilst.   At the very least I'd probably want such a powerset to be renamed to something a touch more neutral.  

A few thoughts, there.

First, "Holy" doesn't necessarily mean "Good." It just means it's dedicated to a deity or religion. A priest of Frank the God of Room Clearing Flatulence would have "holy" powers... just not necessarily good-aligned ones. 🙂

Second, we had this same argument with power proliferation, especially when it came to some mastermind sets and stalkers in general. "How can a hero use zombies, they're evil!" was fairly popular (and incorrect.) (Of course, given we'd always had heroes blasting fire at people, using Burn, attacking them with swords - and really, you can't expect to wield supreme executive power because some watery tart threw a sword at you... wait, wrong argument.)

As far as the OP, worked on or not, I'd have to think wind control would just be... broken.

😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I wish the different dev/server teams would stop with the infighting and start helping each other out.   The problem with retaining a community is going to boil down to new content - and refusing content or changes just because "they" did it doesn't help.

• Like 2

Holy Light is great. However, TSpy would never give their permission and it would create more drama than it's worth to copy it.

If you want Holy Light just play on TSpy, you're not limited to a single dev team nowadays.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 5:50 AM, Auroxis said:

Holy Light is great. However, TSpy would never give their permission and it would create more drama than it's worth to copy it.

If you want Holy Light just play on TSpy, you're not limited to a single dev team nowadays.

True, however the population is smaller on TSpy and I prefer teaming over soloing.  When I do play on TSpy, I haven't been able to find a team.

I'm happy with what HC has given us.  I was only asking to see if there were any plans for these powersets.

Thank you

On 6/12/2020 at 8:50 AM, Auroxis said:

I was playing around with it last night, It's interesting but I wish it were available for more than just defenders, used more that just peacebringer visuals, and was pom pom optional

On 6/11/2020 at 2:27 PM, Replacement said:

It's worth noting:

Wind Control was in development pre-shutdown, so I would expect an attempt to create it here.

Holy Light on the other hand? Dreamed up entirely by coxg devs. Not only does HC have no reason to compare themselves to that server's offerings -- coxg would, as usual, accuse HC of stealing code or ideas or whatever's fashionable today anyway.

It's in HC's best interest to stay their own path and develop their branch in a bubble. They will strive to add material that feels like an extension of the will of the original studio.

And that means if they were to add something comparable to Holy Light, they would probably be best served not even reading about how coxg's works. 

God I hope you are wrong.  If this ever becomes the case, they could invent anything and everything in some varying levels of implementation to paint all other servers into a corner.  Fearing accusations from those guys is not the way to go, it could ruin everything.

• Like 1

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

9 minutes ago, JayboH said:

God I hope you are wrong.  If this ever becomes the case, they could invent anything and everything in some varying levels of implementation to paint all other servers into a corner.  Fearing accusations from those guys is not the way to go, it could ruin everything.

Strongly agree.  There's clearly never going to be any ties with Thunderspy specifically, but I can always dream Ourodev and HC may some day share resources.

To stress my point though: the thing about a "move fast and break things" server is they'll basically always get to call "dibs" if you let that matter.  So it just seems it's in HC's best interest to do what they want to do and ignore the coxg as hard as possible.  Any similarities would be incidental.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JayboH said:

I could see a possible argument for a light/holy type set since we have dark abilities but even that is a stretch.  If it was holy (which definitely has some comic origins) then I would make it a combo of energy/fire damage instead of always making everything a combo of lethal or smashing with something else.  Side effects besides dots could be fear and/or disorient.

I like this.

Another feature I would expect from Holy Light is to have some of the powers proc a heal on allies as well as damage enemies.

And an ally rez that damages nearby enemies.

Before the powerset is release to the players I would first introduce a new NPC group with these powers, perhaps repurpose the removed Incarnate Merit Vendors (Astral Christy, Empyrean Michael, Taskmaster Gabriel) & remove the "Astral" & "Empyrean" from their names; also use these NPC as new mission contacts.

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Incarnate_Merit_Vendor

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Taskmaster_Gabriel

Have players meet this group in a new thematic zone; a level 50+ Incarnate only cooperative zone would be ideal.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2