CoH Modder

58 minutes ago, StoneColdJoker said:

When I try to download/run/install the modder, all it does is show an Explorer logo on the file and doesn't do anything when I try to open it. Any idea what's going on with this? I guarantee it's me

Are you trying to perform your action on the .7z file, or the .exe file?

If it's the .7z file, do you have 7Zip installed?

I'm out.

4 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Are you trying to perform your action on the .7z file, or the .exe file?

If it's the .7z file, do you have 7Zip installed?

I do not have that installed as far as I know. That would more than likely be my problem. Thank you sir lol

Virtue-Vet

Now on Everlasting

I keep a "c:\utils" directory for nifty portable apps such as this, I find Winders largely leaves them alone. And I'll add a second vote for c:\games\CoH!

And a further "me, too!" on Norton. It's no Mcaffee malware, but it's usefulness vs pain-in-the-ass-ness has been on the losing side for some years now.

I use TinyWall to blacklist new programs with the built-in firewall, NoScript websites I don't know, and run a free Malwarebytes scan when I'm feeling paranoid.

And I haven't had a virus since "something wonderful" happened to my Amiga!

• Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

@The Philotic Knight I don't see anywhere on your website to submit this, but I've had to do this manually for members of the DawL House because it's not in this CoH Modder tool as a sound mod.

Very basic, it just goes into ...data\sound\Ogg\FrontEnd
For example for my directory structure, it's A:\COH\data\sound\Ogg\FrontEnd

Here's the file

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/602168758403989581/756360690444271676/h_menumusic_loop.ogg

Just title the Mod something like "OmniousVoice Menu Title Soundtrack Replacement for Heroes"

@The Philotic Knight There's also some a few Mac users in the community use something called Wine which is incompatible with the CoH Modder tool for code library reasons.  Is there any chance you'd be willing to make it accessible to Mac OSX users too?  Currently they have to do it all the old school manual directory placement method, file by file, folder by folder.  That's if the overwrite mod files are available elsewhere for download.

Edited by agentx5

10 hours ago, agentx5 said:

@The Philotic Knight I don't see anywhere on your website to submit this, but I've had to do this manually for members of the DawL House because it's not in this CoH Modder tool as a sound mod.

Very basic, it just goes into ...data\sound\Ogg\FrontEnd
For example for my directory structure, it's A:\COH\data\sound\Ogg\FrontEnd

Here's the file

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/602168758403989581/756360690444271676/h_menumusic_loop.ogg

Just title the Mod something like "OmniousVoice Menu Title Soundtrack Replacement for Heroes"

You must have missed the entire section of the page right before the download link that tells you how to make and upload a mod:

Screenshot_20211112-202338_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d6780bcc19cacd690cc0e713e294883d.jpg

• Thanks 1
I'm out.

10 hours ago, agentx5 said:

@The Philotic Knight There's also some a few Mac users in the community use something called Wine which is incompatible with the CoH Modder tool for code library reasons.  Is there any chance you'd be willing to make it accessible to Mac OSX users too?  Currently they have to do it all the old school manual directory placement method, file by file, folder by folder.  That's if the overwrite mod files are available elsewhere for download.

The source code is freely available on the download page. There is nothing stopping any moderately intelligent programmer from taking the code and converting it to work on a Mac or Linux.

I have no interest in such a pursuit, as I use neither operating system.

I'm out.

On 11/12/2021 at 7:39 AM, agentx5 said:

That's a beautiful piece of music.

Anyway, though it's beyond my skillset, if anybody feels up to it, I'd love to see a mod to make Assault Rifle sound like Star Wars blasters (being as they used a lot of real guns to make their blasters, it fits) maybe not replacing flamethrower bits of course, but the bullet shots. Not sure if those files affect Arachnos Soldiers too, but that'd be swell also 🙂

1 hour ago, Starhammer said:

That's a beautiful piece of music.

Anyway, though it's beyond my skillset, if anybody feels up to it, I'd love to see a mod to make Assault Rifle sound like Star Wars blasters (being as they used a lot of real guns to make their blasters, it fits) maybe not replacing flamethrower bits of course, but the bullet shots. Not sure if those files affect Arachnos Soldiers too, but that'd be swell also 🙂

Paging @Solarverse, paging @Solarverse!

I'm out.

5 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Paging @Solarverse, paging @Solarverse!

I already have one for Assault Rifle that gives them the sound of Plasma Rifles from Terminator. They have very similar sound effects, both using the vibration of telephone pole guide lines to bring the effect. @Starhammer, give that a shot. If you don't like it, I'll see what I can do to get more realistic Star Wars sound bites.

Hi all - I am having issues with getting the vm maps to work. When I first installed it, it worked just fine. Then for some reason it disappeared so I re-installed it and now nothing shows up. I think part of my issue is, I don't have the game installed on the normal "C drive" but on the G drive. So, I pointed the maps to the C AND G drive thinking I could out smart my pc..... LOLOLOL dunno what I was thinking because that didn't work either. Now.... I have the vm map installed all over the damn place and it still doesn't work. So umm.... Halp an old lady out please? TIA! 😄
PS - I did install the CoH Modder and tried that way also.

Edited by Lexxci

@Lexxci

1. First, I'd suggest wiping out all instances of the maps files on your system, just do clean things out.
  2. Second, I would uninstall City of Heroes, and then go in and manually delete all of the City of Heroes directories, to ensure that there's nothing there that may be causing any issues.
  3. Third, I'd suggest making a NEW CoH Directory in which to install the program. If you want to put it on your G drive, that's fine - install it in some folder on your G drive that has never existed before, like, for example "G:\Homecoming\". Start up the game to make sure it works on initial install and shows the regular maps FIRST.
  4. Fourth, download and install a fresh copy of the Modder program, then unzip it to any location (location of the program doesn't matter).
  5. Fifth, after starting the Modder program, make sure that you are pointing it to the same directory in which you originally pointed the CoH Homecoming Installer - for example, "G:\Homecoming\". Wherever you can find the "assets", "bin", "cache", etc directories. My program relies on YOU pointing to the correct absolute path to find all of the necessary relative paths.
  6. Finally, click on the Maps mod in the program and click the Install button. Then start your game and the maps should be there.

Directory to point CoH Modder to (gotta have most of these subdirectories):

image.png.e97b8451338c8bda785086880fab4e8b.png

Install process in CoH Modder:

image.png.e1aa21bffc37eb1f110c28932ba748a9.png

?????

PROFIT:

image.thumb.png.94f27e7208c6d53a2e77aa97cd44bae5.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
I'm out.

Sorry to be a nuisance since I saw this half-answered in the thread elsewhere, but the answer didn't help me.

image.thumb.png.4e2b08ac4d53bd85716f6c31162f7413.pngimage.thumb.png.0749cb638eaf4771a036da372916d1b0.png

This is the error I get when I open the modder, I tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling it, I tried disabling my firewall, I tried running it as admin, and I tried putting it in different folders and I still get the error. I don't have access to my router to change settings on there.

17 minutes ago, arwenface said:

Sorry to be a nuisance since I saw this half-answered in the thread elsewhere, but the answer didn't help me.

image.thumb.png.4e2b08ac4d53bd85716f6c31162f7413.pngimage.thumb.png.0749cb638eaf4771a036da372916d1b0.png

This is the error I get when I open the modder, I tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling it, I tried disabling my firewall, I tried running it as admin, and I tried putting it in different folders and I still get the error. I don't have access to my router to change settings on there.

If you don't have access to your router, there's not a whole lot I can do for you, because that's saying that it was trying to use FTP passive mode - which means that either your hardware or software setup is rejecting connection on the standard FTP port (port 21). To be able to run this program, either that port must be opened up all the way through for all FTP communications OR an exception must be made in the system for this executable specifically to allow the program to use that port. 😢

• Thumbs Up 1
I'm out.

17 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

If you don't have access to your router, there's not a whole lot I can do for you, because that's saying that it was trying to use FTP passive mode - which means that either your hardware or software setup is rejecting connection on the standard FTP port (port 21). To be able to run this program, either that port must be opened up all the way through for all FTP communications OR an exception must be made in the system for this executable specifically to allow the program to use that port. 😢

Nuts. Thanks for the reply at least.

3 hours ago, The Philotic Knight said:

@Lexxci

1. First, I'd suggest wiping out all instances of the maps files on your system, just do clean things out.
  2. Second, I would uninstall City of Heroes, and then go in and manually delete all of the City of Heroes directories, to ensure that there's nothing there that may be causing any issues.
  3. Third, I'd suggest making a NEW CoH Directory in which to install the program. If you want to put it on your G drive, that's fine - install it in some folder on your G drive that has never existed before, like, for example "G:\Homecoming\". Start up the game to make sure it works on initial install and shows the regular maps FIRST.
  4. Fourth, download and install a fresh copy of the Modder program, then unzip it to any location (location of the program doesn't matter).
  5. Fifth, after starting the Modder program, make sure that you are pointing it to the same directory in which you originally pointed the CoH Homecoming Installer - for example, "G:\Homecoming\". Wherever you can find the "assets", "bin", "cache", etc directories. My program relies on YOU pointing to the correct absolute path to find all of the necessary relative paths.
  6. Finally, click on the Maps mod in the program and click the Install button. Then start your game and the maps should be there.

Directory to point CoH Modder to (gotta have most of these subdirectories):

image.png.e97b8451338c8bda785086880fab4e8b.png

Install process in CoH Modder:

image.png.e1aa21bffc37eb1f110c28932ba748a9.png

?????

PROFIT:

image.thumb.png.94f27e7208c6d53a2e77aa97cd44bae5.png

Thank you, I'll give this a try later on this evening. I will all of my data/info still be on the game then?

Oh man... I have a hot mess here...  I feel so stupid with all of this right now. 😞

image.png
I made a copy of the file folder because I was worried that when I read how to uninstall COH it said to just delete the folder completely. O.O

Edited by Lexxci

On 11/16/2021 at 11:48 PM, Solarverse said:

I already have one for Assault Rifle that gives them the sound of Plasma Rifles from Terminator. They have very similar sound effects, both using the vibration of telephone pole guide lines to bring the effect. @Starhammer, give that a shot. If you don't like it, I'll see what I can do to get more realistic Star Wars sound bites.

That's the same as the one for Beam Rifle, right? I do love that one, it's amazing... but it doesn't sound like Star Wars really. If you feel up to it I'd love one that's more SW specific, but only whenever you feel up to it. I hate to come on here begging for something I can't do myself and be all demanding about it. I seem to be an old dog looking at new tricks where modding is concerned. Glad I learned keybinding back when the ol' brain still had vacancies available.

6 hours ago, Starhammer said:

That's the same as the one for Beam Rifle, right? I do love that one, it's amazing... but it doesn't sound like Star Wars really. If you feel up to it I'd love one that's more SW specific, but only whenever you feel up to it. I hate to come on here begging for something I can't do myself and be all demanding about it. I seem to be an old dog looking at new tricks where modding is concerned. Glad I learned keybinding back when the ol' brain still had vacancies available.

I get little wild hairs up my rear from time to time and create random mods. I'll see what I can do. I already have the sound bites, so it's just a matter of lining them up and adding repeated effects when needed.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 1:34 PM, The Philotic Knight said:

I also had this issue... unfortunately my carrier limits my ability to adjust the router settings... I did, however, overcome this by using a VPN software.  In my case I'm using PureVPN as I use it for work stuff.   Another option might be to hit up starbucks or some other location that offers free Wifi.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't feel capable making sense of this though I want to use the most up to date vidiot maps available.... like I can't get the modder program at all

Edited by Blue Jay

Put into practice that which cannot be thought

Badges: Victory: 1345 Homecoming: 1596
Discord: Blue Jay#2187

❤️

Bluejays are fierce!

This Modder thing not everyone knows how to use it and your instruction are very complicated and don't even know if this application can be trusted.  Vidiot Maps should be easy to update and install like before the Modder thing.  Don't like all this complication stuff to update maps on a game I have been playing for a long time.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1