Poll: Non-biased opinion for Water/Rad as a Blaster, Defender, or as a Corruptor?

A3G1S

Ok I realize this may not necessarily belong in the general thread but I did not want to post this three times and I figured if I posted this in either the Blaster, Corruptor, or Defender forums then I would get biased answers on each side.

I mained a Controller and a Tank on retail/live and am very interested in playing a character that is more blow-em-up than those two.  I am very interested in water blast and radiation/whatever the blaster version of radiation is called (can't remember at the moment and am typing this on my phone while at work 🤫). Atomic?

I am relatively newly back and still do not have a 50 here on Homecoming.  Pretty much like everyone else I want my cake and to eat it too so I want a character at max level with that theme to be able to solo just about anything I want, while also being a great asset to any team.  I want to do massive damage while not dying every time I look at a mob funny.  A bonus would be to have a character that is a perfect compliment as a duo with my friend (he doesn't have a main yet either...this is more of a general statement of a toon that would be good in duos).

As I see it the three ATs already mentioned could all be more than fine if built in certain ways.  Each could be equally as fun and I realize that in a lot of ways this is "six of one / half dozen of the other."  

One last thing to note before I throw out my specific questions...I intend to shy away from melee attacks; which I understand might detract from some strengths of rad but I just feel like playing more at range when possible.

All of that lengthy preamble out of the way, this is what I am turning to the community for advice on:

Water Blast and Radiation/atomic(?)

1. With those power sets in mind, which AT shines the most at 50? --Blaster? --Defender? --Corruptor?

2. Will it be more effective end-game to slot for overall damage output on one versus overall survivability on another? In other words, which can squeak out the most of each?

Thanks to everyone in advance, I am really looking forward to the inevitable contrasting views....convince me!

Edit: I totally realize I will be getting biased, opinion based answers....I just didn't want to post in a place where I already knew the answers I would get 🙃

Edited by A3G1S

9 minutes ago, A3G1S said:

"six of one / half dozen of the other."  

I always thought it went Six to one half dozen to another.

Anyway back to topic. Since I love the blaster I vote for blaster. Oh crap you want an unbiased opinion. Well then blaster it is.

• Thanks 1

For team, defender. You could easily build defenses since defender has better values. You can also solo if you have enough defenses.  Then you could build for proc since defender usually lacks damage.
For solo go corruptor because it has higher damage. You could build defenses to be higher as well but not near defender level so it is good pick.
For both go blaster. It has good damage and good control. You could struggle to survive on lower levels however so you have to actively use your secondary more. But atomic usually has melee attacks with few ranged attacks. (just 2 ranged attacks)

In the end it depends on whatever you prefer. Every AT can solo. (Not everyone can go +4 x8 but it still stands)

• Thanks 1

It all depends on what you want to do.

Concentrate on damage? Blaster

Support, but concentrate more on damage? Corrupter.

Support, getting the support powers at lower level to help out? Defender.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

All depends on how you play. 

1. As you buff heal and debuff you realize oh yea I have attacks. If this is you a defender would probably be best.

2. As you blast things with jets of water you remember oh yea I can debuff these guys as well then you may consider a corruptor.

3. What are buffs? Yup. Definitely a blaster.

• Thanks 1

I just made a water/rad blaster, and so far I think the combo plays quite well.

Edited by Heraclea
  • Thanks 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

2 hours ago, Mercurias said:

I would personally say that I have more fun as a Water/Atomic Blaster. There's nothing wrong with either of the other options, but frankly after years of playing an Ill/Rad Controller I sort of don't like Radiation Manipulation very much anymore.

Thanks, I totally understand.  Rad manip is something I always wanted to play but never did....but is also something that was so good and also so common I kind of don't want to do it just to rebel.

I don't have enough experience to have a detailed opinion on Water or Rad (my main opinion: Water is a fantastic powerset to recolour) but one thing you might want to add to your post is how you feel about enhancements.  If you're happy to spend a large pile of Inf on IOs, whether you'd rather just play with SOs/Common IOs, that sort of thing.  You're going to get very different play experiences from the same character depending on its build.

Corruptors and Defenders generally make for good duos, because you can pick sets that will really complement your partner's.  I duoed an Ice/Ice Corr with a Fire/Fire Brute, and it was a ton of fun.

Blasters are enormous fun, though.  I've always had Blaster mains and loved then, and the I24 Blaster upgrade made them even MORE fun.  Oh -- if you want to stick to range, Water is basically all ranged powers, while Rad has some PBAoE, including the nuke.  It would be a shame not to take full advantage of the glory that is crashless nukes on your Blaster.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

When you say you want "a character that is more blow-em-up" that screams Blaster to me.

Defenders and Corruptors can be built to be very strong and their debuffs will absolutely help melt stuff fast, but Blaster apply a debuff called defeat.  If you kill it first then it can't kill you.

Personally I love sentinels, but you sacrifice damage and range for durability.  They offer excellent armor choices and have about half the range of blasters.  

Happy hunting!

Given what you just described, the desire to do massive damage but also help out you duo partner, I think Corruptor fits best.  With Scourge youre kind of like a ranged, discount Scrapper, especially useful against bosses, and while your buffs and debuffs might not be as powerful as a Defender's, they're more than enough for 95% of content.

15 hours ago, A3G1S said:

One last thing to note before I throw out my specific questions...I intend to shy away from melee attacks; which I understand might detract from some strengths of rad but I just feel like playing more at range when possible.

If you don't want melee, I would pass on blaster - 5 of /Atomic's 9 powers are melee. It's a very blappery set.

If your focus is on doing damage, I would vote corruptor.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Just go Rad assault with a Dom. TADA. Cake and eating it too 

Probably reliant on Ageless for end, but Perma hasten, dom, 45% s/l/e/r 

Spoiler

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Dominator
Primary Power Set: Fire Control
Secondary Power Set: Radioactive Assault
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Concealment
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Char -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(5), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(7), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(9)
Level 1: Neutrino Bolt -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(37), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(39), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 2: Fire Cages -- SprDmnGrs-Rchg/Fiery Orb(A), PstBls-Dam%(9), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(11)
Level 4: X-Ray Beam -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(11), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(17), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 6: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(17)
Level 8: Hot Feet -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg(15), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(15), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(50)
Level 10: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(46), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(46), RedFrt-Def(48), RedFrt-EndRdx(48), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 12: Flashfire -- HO:Endo(A), HO:Endo(13)
Level 14: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Fusion -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(19)
Level 20: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(29)
Level 22: Radiation Siphon -- ThfofEss-+End%(A), Hct-Dam%(23), Hct-Dmg(23), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(31), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(37)
Level 24: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(25), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(25), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(27), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(27), GssSynFr--Build%(13)
Level 26: Bonfire -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A)
Level 28: Atom Smasher -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(29), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(31), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), Obl-%Dam(43)
Level 30: Stealth -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(43), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(45), Rct-Def/Rchg(45), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(45), Rct-ResDam%(46)
Level 32: Fire Imps -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(34), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(34)
Level 35: Proton Volley -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(36), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), StnoftheM-Dam%(36), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 38: Scorpion Shield -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(39), RedFrt-Def(40), RedFrt-EndRdx(42), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(42), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 41: Personal Force Field -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 44: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 47: Grant Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(3)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(3)
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
------------
------------
Set Bonus Totals:

• 19.5% DamageBuff(Smashing)
  • 19.5% DamageBuff(Lethal)
  • 19.5% DamageBuff(Fire)
  • 19.5% DamageBuff(Cold)
  • 19.5% DamageBuff(Energy)
  • 19.5% DamageBuff(Negative)
  • 19.5% DamageBuff(Toxic)
  • 19.5% DamageBuff(Psionic)
  • 12.25% Defense(Melee)
  • 9.13% Defense(Smashing)
  • 9.13% Defense(Lethal)
  • 7.25% Defense(Fire)
  • 7.25% Defense(Cold)
  • 21.94% Defense(Energy)
  • 21.94% Defense(Negative)
  • 6% Defense(Psionic)
  • 30.38% Defense(Ranged)
  • 8.5% Defense(AoE)
  • 105% Enhancement(RechargeTime)
  • 4% Enhancement(Confused)
  • 4% Enhancement(Held)
  • 4% Enhancement(Stunned)
  • 4.4% Enhancement(Terrorized)
  • 8% Enhancement(Sleep)
  • 8% Enhancement(Immobilized)
  • 3.75% Enhancement(Max EnduranceDiscount)
  • 68% Enhancement(Accuracy)
  • 27% SpeedFlying
  • 38.15 HP (3.75%) HitPoints
  • 27% JumpHeight
  • 27% SpeedJumping
  • Knockback (Mag -4)
  • Knockup (Mag -4)
  • MezResist(Confused) 43.75%
  • MezResist(Held) 43.75%
  • MezResist(Immobilized) 43.75%
  • MezResist(Sleep) 43.75%
  • MezResist(Stunned) 43.75%