The age old question : Brute or Scrapper? :)

My understanding is that Brutes are supposed to be Tank and DPS hybrids. But people can lean then in either direction with Brutes being more flexible either way. They'll make better tanks than scrappers and scrappers should make better damage dealers.

but then I hear Brutes deal more damage when there's more mods attacking them? I don't know...

I just know that my regen Scrapper is usually always the last one standing when the group wipes.

I'm partial to Brutes but I think the answer ultimately depends on the power sets in question. If Shield always go Scrapper if it's a resistance based protective set that can take you to the 90%resist cap of any damage type always go brute, if it has a damage aura always go brute. If MA always go Brute.

What if you want an MA/Shield? Can i suggest StJ instead? If so go Scrapper.

If Shield always go Scrapper

Why? I have a 17 MA/Shield Brute that I'm enjoying. Starting to have endurance issues if I run 3 defensive toggles at the moment.  I'm curious why a scrapper might have been a better choice.

Thanks

If Shield always go Scrapper

Why? I have a 17 MA/Shield Brute that I'm enjoying. Starting to have endurance issues if I run 3 defensive toggles at the moment.  I'm curious why a scrapper might have been a better choice.

Thanks

Due to scrapper's higher dmg mods, & diminishing returns on dmg buffs that brutes feel more than most, Scrappers get more out of the "against all odds" dmg buff & "shield charge" attack iirc

On the other hand Brute/Tank MA - Storm kick gives 7.5 unstackable +def so maybe that justifies the combo? I had an Ma/shield brute but rerolled to StJ/Shield Scrapper

It depends on what you want to do. While there are exceptions, you will generally find:

Scrappers will do better single target and burst damage.

Brutes will do better sustained AoE damage.

Scrappers draw less agro.

Brutes have better survival.

Scrappers excel in single-combat, but suffer in swarms.

Brutes suffer in single-combat, but excel in swarms.

In a team, a scrapper is never expected to be anything but a damage dealer.

In a team, a brute is often expected to be a tank.

Scrappers solo faster than brutes.

Brutes solo more reliably than scrappers.

This is where people will come in with their anecdotal "My scrapper..." or "my brute..." commentary. As I said, there are exceptions. These "standards" are what you will generally find to be true, especially if built without IO sets/Incarnate powers, both of which you can use to shore up whatever weaknesses get in your way.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

It depends on what you want to do. While there are exceptions, you will generally find:

This is where people will come in with their anecdotal "My scrapper..." or "my brute..." commentary. As I said, there are exceptions. These "standards" are what you will generally find to be true, especially if built without IO sets/Incarnate powers, both of which you can use to shore up whatever weaknesses get in your way.

most of those points are nothing to do with the AT (aside from aggro) but more to do with the powersets that AT has, for example an electric melee scrapper will be great for AOE. Brutes inherently do not have better survival, they just have higher res caps, which generally require outside buffs to reach

most of those points are nothing to do with the AT (aside from aggro) but more to do with the powersets that AT has, for example an electric melee scrapper will be great for AOE. Brutes inherently do not have better survival, they just have higher res caps, which generally require outside buffs to reach

Exactly what i wanted to say in regards to dealing dmg but Brutes have more health so that will by definition improve survivability over a Scrapper

Endurance and attack/animation speeds are the key questions for me.  If you want to play a defense set that has built in endurance mitigation, like Bio Armor, Willpower, or for a lowbie mission farmer, Regeneration, these are all factors favoring the Brute.  The Brute is hampered more than other melee ATs by endurance issues.  Fixing those is job 1 on a brute.  On a brute you know you will be slotting for recovery even if you take one of those endurance friendly defense sets.  A Dark Armor brute is going to have issues out of the box.

Slow, hangy animations favor Scrappers over Brutes.  If you want to play, say, Titan Weapons or Energy Melee, you should consider Scrapper.  The other thing about slow animations is that they have an anti-synergy with defense sets that rely on click powers for survival, like Fire, Regen, or Bio.  Set and forget defensive sets like Shield or Reflexes will work better there.

If you are concerned with team utility features like aggro holding and durability, the answer, of course, is 'none of the above'.  Make a Tanker. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Brutes have higher health and higher caps, therefor better survival.

The way fury and critical hits work, all other factors being equal, a brute does better in a target rich environment while a scrapper does better in a single target situation. Power sets aren't factored in to this, because yes, there are scrapper sets that do really good AoE damage, but if you put the same build on a brute you'll still see consistently better damage. Yes, there are brute sets that favor single target attacks, but fighting a single target makes brutes build fury slower, pair that with scrappers having a higher crit chance on tougher foes and if you give a scrapper the same power set they will do consistently better damage than the brute.

There is a reason that for melee, people usually use brutes to farm and scrappers to kill GMs. :p

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.