The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

What's the problem with Ninjitsu?

xl8

Is that a quote from a Dev?

Are they talking about proliferating Ninjitsu to Brutes and/or Tankers?

If so, I'm not terribly sure what the issue may be, other than thematic.  Some people don't think a Brute or Tanker should be "ninja-esque," given ninjas are stereotypically stealthy, while Brutes and Tankers are meant to draw aggro.

. . . but then what about Cloak of Darkness and Energy Cloak, eh?   Eh?

Having gone and looked at what was actually written in the beta forum, they are referring to changes to various movement powers. Specifically, that the changes they were investigating have been reverted in the latest patch because of how they interact with any plans for proliferating the Ninjitsu power set.

Nothing has been changed for Ninjitsu and nothing was mentioned about needing to change Ninjitsu. I understand that these are difficult times but that's why you should double check that you read correctly and not let your anxiety get the better of you.

• Like 2

Not ignoring what Blastit said, but I wanted to respond to this:

14 hours ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

. . . but then what about Cloak of Darkness and Energy Cloak, eh?

I'm running a scrapper with Shinobi-iri, and I don't mind saying that it feels overpowered - especially for a level 4 ability.  It's designed to give a scrapper a devastating ambush, second only to Stalkers.  Granted, a distant second, but still nasty.

I also don't see a problem giving Brutes or Tanks stealth abilities as such.  I'd argue that high-powered ambushes and on-demand placates would do more than stealth to make a character ninja-esque.  When I played Dark Armor brutes and tanks on live, I didn't feel like a ninja at all.  I felt more like Lurch - you know, sidling up out of nowhere at the ring of a bell and being all menacing.

(BTW, if anyone can find a decent video clip of Lurch saying "You rang?", it would be much appreciated.)

Edited by TheOtherTed
An overabundance of elocution required trimming excessive verbiage

10 minutes ago, TheOtherTed said:

When I played Dark Armor brutes and tanks on live, I didn't feel like a ninja at all.  I felt more like Lurch - you know, sidling up out of nowhere at the ring of a bell and being all menacing.

Dark armour is such a weird set altogether, being a tanking set with two control auras and a stealth power (for those who don't know) and it's bloody wonderful. I'd love it if more sets had gimmicks like that (and to be fair the more recent ones do). 

The stealth effect is so weak I don't think I ever noticed it even being on. 

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

38 minutes ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

Ignore everything after the first clip, and maybe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKdAtQuuMpQ will suit your needs?

Perfect!

36 minutes ago, Gulbasaur said:

The stealth effect is so weak I don't think I ever noticed it even being on.

I loved it.  Walk into a pack of mobs, wait until they register that you're there, then drop Cloak of Fear, Oppressive Gloom, and Death Shroud.  Gives me that "uncanny force of nature" feeling that only an Illusion controller can match.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, xl8 said:

This will be looked at again in the future, potentially Page 2, as we look into proliferating Ninjitsu

Is this a PVP thing? Can't we just leave it alone?

Ninjitsu for Blasters I think. Ninjitsu for Blasters is the least played set in game by a HUGE amount. After that is the Dark secondary. Maybe it was MA for blasters instead of Ninjitsu, I can't remember for sure but it was one or the other.

Edited by Solarverse

23 hours ago, xl8 said:

This will be looked at again in the future, potentially Page 2, as we look into proliferating Ninjitsu

That quote is referencing a now-reverted change to the way the Shinobi stacked speed/jump with other travel buffs.  There was a substanital outcry that the nerf was needless and out of theme for the set.  (fwiw, I wholeheartedly agree with the chorus on that)

Dig around in the feedback threads for more info.

Edited by InvaderStych

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

1 hour ago, InvaderStych said:

That quote is referencing a now-reverted change to the way the Shinobi stacked speed/jump with other travel buffs.  There was a substanital outcry that the nerf was needless and out of theme for the set.  (fwiw, I wholeheartedly agree with the chorus on that)

Dig around in the feedback threads for more info.

"page 2"  - it's referencing a future change.

10 minutes ago, xl8 said:

"page 2"  - it's referencing a future change.

Pushed to Page 2 due to negative feedback from Page 1 Testing:

The full context of the original quote in your OP goes into more detail, note the strike-through on Shinobi Suppression by the travel powers also in strike-through.

On 11/13/2020 at 11:41 AM, Jimmy said:

Movement Buffs

• This change has been reverted
  • This will be looked at again in the future, potentially Page 2, as we look into proliferating Ninjitsu
  • The following travel powers will suppress Primary/Secondary equivalent power travel buffs:
    • Jump_CombatJump.png.a160a263e44d63bc2fcdbf62d38c81e2.png Pool > Leaping > Combat Jumping
    • Jump_LongJump.png.6b020dfc18386ba6566d3f0badbc8e89.png Pool > Leaping > Super Jump
    • ForceofWill_MightyLeap.png.87eed40e33b37938ffc5644069cfdb51.png Pool > Force of Will > Mighty Leap
    • SuperSpeed_SuperSpeed.png.4f9dcffbf97e96335f05897c8568815f.png Pool > Speed > Super Speed
    • Experimentation_SpeedofSound.png.3e140116f13135d86b2f1cfb5f117a29.png Pool > Experimentation > Speed of Sound
    • Inherent_NinjaRun.png.4397e15de17ae71110e6e5e12d87c4cf.png Prestige Travel > Ninja Run
    • Inherent_BeastRun.png.f3b1803fe72afc29398932c473ca2e02.png Prestige Travel > Beast Run
    • Inherent_AthleticRun.png.7b69ff39f84cadbbd7e613d65a27af3e.png Prestige Travel > Athletic Run
  • Primary/Secondary powers impacted by this:
    • Ninjitsu_Run.png.634f535aaa2d582038a0a89d5622952d.png Scrapper Defence > Ninjitsu > Shinobi-Iri
    • Ninjitsu_Run.png.634f535aaa2d582038a0a89d5622952d.png Sentinel Defence > Ninjitsu > Shinobi-Iri
    • NinjaTools_Assassin.png.50ddb59179d9fadb8264b97b10275495.png Blaster Support > Ninja Training > Shinobi-Iri
    • tacticalarrow_quickness.png.44daf1fa7ac354a4f37fe6e7a9adc6cd.png Blaster Support > Tactical Arrow > Gymnastics

Edited by InvaderStych

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

I read it as those changes will be looked at again in the future, as for some reason there seems to be an issue with that power and going to Brutes/Tankers?  Possibly in buffing Stalker Ninjitsu?

I never felt Ninjitsu to be OP.  It's well rounded.  Defense Debuff Resist isn't there.  Heal is nice.  It's Endurance Heal is the nice aspect of the set imo.

• Like 2