Art Freebies Thread!

Pirate Cashoo

Hey everyone!

Many years ago, I held an art freebie thread in the original CoH forums. Basically the premise is - want some free art? Post pics/screenshots of your toons and I may draw them! (please make sure the screenshots are clear and I can tell what items they're wearing)

I don't know how active this current forum is, but I do want to mention I may not be able to get to everybody. For me, this is a small thing I can do in between my work.

I also want to mention that if any other artists in this forum want to join in, please feel free! If someone posts a toon here that you'd like to draw, post it here! There's no pressure on skill. Just something nice to do. 🙂

For me personally, I'll be doing monochrome sketches like these. Same style except somewhere between headshots and waistups. You can find more examples here.

I draw pretty much anything - guys, gals, non-humans, monsters, and robots (I really love robots...I worked on Transformers comics for a while)! As long as they are CoX toons!pic1_FINAL.thumb.jpg.1b65415659ff2f3e00d37c8126c61a84.jpgpic2_FINAL.thumb.jpg.43aa329a6664226e9c62ad43f866ffe5.jpg

Also here's an album of all my super old CoH I did back in the day. If anyone still around recognizes their character, let me know!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, Pirate Cashoo said:

Hey everyone!

Many years ago, I held an art freebie thread in the original CoH forums. Basically the premise is - want some free art? Post pics/s

Dnamo, my main char(allways, more 12 years ago, and now), blaster energy/atom manipulation...

I always wanted a drawing, but I never had any money left and now unemployed ... : /

dnamo.jpg

• Like 3

Wow! Long time no see! So good to see another artist making the way back to the forums!
How are you?

I will never let a chance of free art pass 🥰, so here are refs to my two main heroes. (added the link in the text, in case the images don't show for some reason 😊)

Darth Delicious:

b499ab_9158c1cede1d4ec58c89c7142c128cbe~

and Mysterious Mike:
b499ab_76f9f7d55ac443a4927a4ee6521bdc64~

There actually is an Art Request Thread for all artists who are looking for some refs to draw. A chance to free art for those who put up their character's references in that threat 😊. It died out a bit though, but the refs are still there for the picking if you wanna have a look there too 😎. *waves*

Edited by Darth Delicious
  • Like 5

DDLU21.jpg.d32d788cc9a9ad28e1d0bd53f83c1e5d.jpg

Welcome home Cachet! Good to see your text on screen again! zb7XgP0P_o.png

PM me if you want someone to team up with or if you need

any ingame $$ or help getting back into the city. Happy to help if I can.

Gift artz you say? And just in time for my latest successful revolution of Terra

about Sol (that is to say my birthday was a few days ago) too. That is very nice of you.

Among my favorites would be my Darkness/Radiation witch, and rightful queen of the cabal, Chloe Macomber.

Generally stern and stoic and a bit ruthless in her dealings with her usurper sister Mary Macomber.

dddpf5x-551688b9-40ba-4210-8d87-bfc9edfb

and my Fiery Aura/Super Strength tanker, Brahn Fuhrnos.

Heroic and upbeat, loves to flex, he is generally a light-hearted quipster.

Fun to be around and quick with the terrible puns and smack talk to aggravate villains.

daxijsu-c7b5f077-414d-4e05-9595-b1b5ce2c

Further refs, closeups or other options (like Ezmi or Shieldara) available if you like. Cheers!

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Like 5

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

On 11/15/2020 at 1:04 PM, Pirate Cashoo said:

Also here's an album of all my super old CoH I did back in the day. If anyone still around recognizes their character, let me know!

Oh! I can help with that. HmWYqjbR_o.gif

I had my finger pretty well on the pulse of the art scene.

If it was artz and City of Heroes related back in the day chances are I knew it.

The ones in yellow I am not positive of but perhaps what

I do have is enough of a clue for you to remember?

1. ??? for ???
2. Midnight Trader for Eddie Swan (started out drawing in the CoH forums and with encouragement went on to be a pro colorist in the comics industry)
3. Pyro Nympho for PyroNympho (designer of cool forum buttons he gave away as gifts and the Hot Pencil thread originator)
4. Night Hornet for NightHornet (3D model artist from the UK and creator of the GGRRR comic IIRC)
5. Mysterioous flame for Mysterious-Flame
6. Polydeuces??? for Polydeuces???
7. Hubba Bubbles for RedFireFox
8. Hyperborean Tempest for Terryisme
9. Luminous Phoenix for Maynia
10. Saintlore for iBones
11. VexXxa for VexXxa (she of the purple text, writer for the City Scoop and Admin for the CoH group on Deviant Art)
12. Rainbow Jester for Tuter_King (kind of hard to forget really rs4wmRnk_o.gif)
13. Lady Lylith for  Scootertwo
14. Crescent Blade for PowerStream
15. Vivace for Vivace
16. Polish Princess for Jophiel (remembered from a piece by baqutania)
17. Massacre Melanie for Suichiro
18. Duskrune for ShadowWings
19. Bloody Ruby (along with #9 above) also for Maynia
20. Thor's Assassin for Thor's Assassin (the O.G. artwhore lol)
21. Draggynn for Draggynn (yes that is how he spelled it IIRC)
22. The 5th for HardRider (not 100% on the character's name it could also be eponymous)
23. Sharkbait??? for Sharkbait
24. Lady Fade for Starflier
25. Xllusya for Christopher Robin (yep that weird orange text artist guy... I hear tell he really loved this piece. zb7XgP0P_o.png)

Update: So I did a little digging on the 4 I didn't know, I'm positive #23 was done for Sharkbait but not sure if the villain is Sharkbait also?

You didn't mention the name and I couldn't find any other reference to him. Perhaps you remember now given the person's name?

I found #5 "Mysterioous flame" and that one is now confirmed. Yes the double oo is his spelling.

Maybe the name was taken and he misspelled it like that on purpose... or it's just a typo. rs4wmRnk_o.gif

#6 The date of his request being granted matches closely to when you posted that piece on DeviantArt.

Also he describes his hero as a Paragon Protector that broke free from the mind control and now

fights against Crey Industries while keeping the traditional blue/yellow suit as a reminder

of his days as a drone. The oddity is the chest emblem, which is a caduceus (the serpent

entwined staff of the greek god Hermes often associated with healing), which the PP

don't wear but then his name is Polydeuces so that could possibly be a hint?

Still no clue on who hero #1 is or the person behind him.

Not sure I have ever seen him before. Anyone else have an idea?

found 4 of the remaining 5 characters... I think
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

07K1tHnz_o.png

21 hours ago, Grimz said:

This my good old martial arts cult leader Sir Grimly :3

He's a Dark/Fire Scrapper

I have 2 questions: What's his ethnicity and does he have a ponytail or is it just slicked back?

4 hours ago, Christopher Robin said:

Oh! I can help with that. HmWYqjbR_o.gif

I had my finger pretty well on the pulse of the art scene.

If it was artz and City of Heroes related back in the day chances are I knew it.

Ohhh my god reading through those names, I recognize them! Bless you for doing this. That really means a lot.

And thank you for the warm welcome! You're the one who originally notified me about Homecoming, although I finally got back on board a bit late. It's been a busy couple of years.🙂

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Pirate Cashoo said:

I have 2 questions: What's his ethnicity and does he have a ponytail or is it just slicked back?

Ohhh my god reading through those names, I recognize them! Bless you for doing this. That really means a lot.

And thank you for the warm welcome! You're the one who originally notified me about Homecoming, although I finally got back on board a bit late. It's been a busy couple of years.🙂

He has a ponytail and the ethnicity is Hawaiian/Japanese

I remember your art thread! I lurked through it back in the day. Glad to see more old school forumites join up with Homecoming. ^_^

As for the screenshot request, I'll offer up my new main - Brazen Brawler

554249320_IsaacRef.thumb.png.f8ce814615d16afc248cfb49400789fc.png

Stoic and patient, Brazen is very much a 'speak softly and carry a big stick'-type with the styling of Mad Max crossed with the Terminator. He's Crey Industries' attempt at making a living Nemesis Automaton as part of an expanded Paragon Protector program (which he violently escaped from) and now he leads a supergroup of fellow Crey escapees. His claim to fame among my regular RP group is being considered a 'Cool Dude' by just about everyone he runs into.

• Like 2

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

Hey Cashoo, welcome back!  It's not as popular a place as it used to be, but some of us still hold down the fort and share stuff 😄

Since you're working in monochrome, here's Blackstar Radiant if you want to doodle her, in whites or blacks 🙂

BRBlack.png

BRWhite.png

• Like 1

Excellent stuff (I'm posting some from your link to show off your stuff)

image.thumb.png.64a16c1da336999764207b3f4950d608.png image.thumb.png.2228bbccd887d1a84e64279c23bf96f3.png image.thumb.png.aab45989c1f7825441c87fb26366684e.png

Edited by Troo
  • Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 11/16/2020 at 2:08 PM, Pirate Cashoo said:

Hey same here CR was the one who told me this was here too! and i won a drawing in one of his contests like a decade ago that 5 artists got together and colored! I saw some of your amazing art on DA too Cashoo and your colors are totally sick! I would put a ref of my dual pistols hero Gray Ming Badda Bing here but my compy sux and I dont knwo how to take good screen shots. ☹️

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 2:08 PM, Pirate Cashoo said:

.....................................................................Ohhh my god reading through those names, I recognize them! Bless you for doing this. That really means a lot.

Sure sure. Happy to do it. E9rkOkuW_o.gif

You're welcome. Glad you made it on board and you're just in time for the new issue going up.

Much coolness going on including a new story arc dealing with your all time favorite guy in a meat suit. 07K1tHnz_o.png

There are new maps, new environments, the return of the Vahzilok Wasting Disease (it missed you), interaction with

the alignment system, an actual investigation with clues and interviews, new badges, three alternate

endings depending on the choices you make in earlier missions and... dubstep. Wait what?

Also I updated the list of names above, I think

I got them all pegged pretty well except for #1 now.

16 hours ago, DJ1 said:

Hey same here CR was the one who told me this was here too! and i won a drawing in one of his contests like a decade ago that 5 artists got together and colored! I saw some of your amazing art on DA too Cashoo and your colors are totally sick!.....................................................................................................

Yeah I tried to email/note/PM everyone I could remember who played CoX and especially the artists

and art appreciators from the old 606 forums and surprisingly they continue to trickle in.

Well 4 other artists added coloring and such, technically I was the 5th and all I did was the lines.

Still it was a quintuple collab and very cool to be a part of. Glad you liked the results. zb7XgP0P_o.png

Yeah @Pirate Cashoo's crazy use of bold color combinations is really something special.

16 hours ago, DJ1 said:

...................................................I would put a ref of my dual pistols hero Gray Ming Badda Bing here but my compy sux and I dont knwo how to take good screen shots. ☹️

Oh for crying in silence!

Dude quit whining and go check your notes already. tongue.gif

--------------------------

@Troo That pic of Jack in Irons looking down on you is cool!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

Sure sure, no problem DJ1.

For the record I consider this a favor to Pirate Cashoo (no guarantees she will draw him of course)

and any future artists you ever commission... because the old screen shots you sent me were atrocious. 07K1tHnz_o.png

Also you are on your own for the lower body as I only ever drew his bust.

I remember the "Ampules" belt and there were buckles somewhere but that's all.

WB yourself @Caemgen. Good to see your words onscreen again...

they'd be better in a story but hey, good all the same.  rs4wmRnk_o.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

I do recognize that name. Welcome back!

Edit: Also, what the heck, throwing one in here.

blonde moment reference.png

Edited by Greycat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

17 hours ago, Caemgen said:

My words are always on Screen, CR...  Just different screens 😄

DJ1 - Gorm Diabhal was female originally...  But apparently they're a race and there's a male version?  Or they are twins?  Wonder Twin Powers Activate!!

The same could be said about Cashoo (or me for that matter).

Good to see them on this screen when it is pointed at

this particular virtual corner of the interwebs then.

Hmmm... almost sounds like there is a story in there somewhere. rs4wmRnk_o.gif

Also welcome @Greycat to the best part of the forums. 

The name you're using is unfamiliar to me but I immediately

recognized Memphis Bill as drawn by Alex Dai (a.k.a. imagesbyalex).

• Like 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

1 hour ago, Christopher Robin said:

The same could be said about Cashoo (or me for that matter).

Good to see them on this screen when it is pointed at

this particular virtual corner of the interwebs then.

Hmmm... almost sounds like there is a story in there somewhere. rs4wmRnk_o.gif

I’m pretty sure Cashoo is still female.  As for you...  well I’m not judging, it’s all good!

ohhhhh.... Were you referencing the other part of my post??  Ooops!

: D 

• Haha 1