Rather than discount Winter Packs, give some away free to each account

Yomo Kimyata

*raises hand*

I have eight accounts.

I know someone with . . . at least twelve?  Probably more.

However!  I also share an I.P. address with my spouse who plays on only one account, and I've had some people over playing their accounts from my home.  On both my computer and my spouse's at one point or another.

AND my I.P. is dynamic, resetting each time my modem's power source gets hit (so many power failures this past summer, gawd!).

Unless the Devs have some means of getting greater fidelity on which accounts are from one player, I'm not sure awarding anything "per account" is necessarily a wise course.

Really, any time that there's a problem with the market, the best answer is to put greater restrictions on it.  Price caps.  Tax brackets.  That sort of thing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CrudeVileTerror said:

*raises hand*

I have eight accounts.

I know someone with . . . at least twelve?  Probably more.

However!  I also share an I.P. address with my spouse who plays on only one account, and I've had some people over playing their accounts from my home.  On both my computer and my spouse's at one point or another.

AND my I.P. is dynamic, resetting each time my modem's power source gets hit (so many power failures this past summer, gawd!).

Unless the Devs have some means of getting greater fidelity on which accounts are from one player, I'm not sure awarding anything "per account" is necessarily a wise course.

Really, any time that there's a problem with the market, the best answer is to put greater restrictions on it.  Price caps.  Tax brackets.  That sort of thing.

I hear you, but I think the economic impact of "accidentally" giving away a few extra packs here and there is healthier than people buying hundreds of thousands of packs in total.

I'd vastly prefer it if there was no discount this year (or any year), but I'm hoping the devs will look at this as an alternative to making the rich richer.

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

14 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

If we’re going full on coocoo for cocoa puffs, how about a yearly Influence wipe?

Yomo woke up on New Years Day much like Yomo does most things, begrudgingly and with some white spittle in the corners of the mouth.  New Years Eve 2020 was a special event, presumably.  Still trying to figure out how and why there is an honest-to-god sheep in the bathroom, but hey, wait, what?  2020 is over?  That means that everything is going to be back to normal!

*Logs on*.  Oh.

Oh well, at least the virus went away, right?  Right?!?

*Steps outside*.  Oh.

• Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

Or, let's be levellist about it, how about a yearly influence "set all equal to the mean influence?"

Not a serious suggestion.

Actually, I think Yomo has done more to level influence disparity in-game than almost anyone.

Well done, that one!

Yomo, any inclination to run for public office?

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

19 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Yomo woke up on New Years Day much like Yomo does most things, begrudgingly and with some white spittle in the corners of the mouth.  New Years Eve 2020 was a special event, presumably.  Still trying to figure out how and why there is an honest-to-god sheep in the bathroom, but hey, wait, what?  2020 is over?  That means that everything is going to be back to normal!

*Logs on*.  Oh.

Oh well, at least the virus went away, right?  Right?!?

*Steps outside*.  Oh.

That isn't a sheep in the bathroom. It's a TIGER !!!

48 minutes ago, RCU7115 said:

That isn't a sheep in the bathroom. It's a TIGER !!!

It's both. It's a shiger. Or a teep?

... well, teep belongs in the bathroom, right?

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 11/17/2020 at 6:40 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

I'd vastly prefer it if there was no discount this year (or any year), but I'm hoping the devs will look at this as an alternative to making the rich richer.

I would just really like to be able to afford a few sets of the IOS. 

• Like 1

Pack giveaways are something of a f2p tactic to get players to log in. This is a completely free game. We don't need to do that here. As much as I'd like a free pack players would start creating accounts just to get free packs.

At best - maybe give everyone a free Frost bite (1 hour offensive buff thing) in their Account email so only that account can use it when they log in any time during December.

We still need a Summer event or Anniversary event here.

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

1 hour ago, tidge said:

Doesn't "making the Rich Richer" actually take influence out of the economy?

Yes, given the cost to buy the packs and market fees. I think the concern is more one of who can take more advantage of the discounted fees and where the inf gets concentrated at the end, once the *event* ends, prices rise and the IOs get dribbled out into the market (don't want to crash prices too much, after all.)

Personally - even as one of the "not rich" (I've got 100 some alts to feed...) I'm just not concerned. If I don't like market prices, there are alternate ways to get things, directly or indirectly.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 hours ago, Rejolt said:

Pack giveaways are something of a f2p tactic to get players to log in. This is a completely free game. We don't need to do that here. As much as I'd like a free pack players would start creating accounts just to get free packs.

Easy solution to this non-issue.  They get sent out one day only.  You don't have an account on that day, you don't get the free pack.  Don't announce it in advance, just do it.  There will probably be a minor uproar about not announcing it from those that wanted to abuse it, but that is the way to keep it fair and easy.

Or we could just not worry and wibble about what the tophats-and-monocles crowd is going to do, and actually let the "little people" enjoy a discount on something for a few weeks....

Because the truth is, no matter WHAT the rest of the game population is up to, the marketeers are still going to keep on making bank in some fashion. Rather they make 100 billion from buying up discounted Winter packs or spend the same three weeks making a 80 billion flipping IOs, they're still going to be out there turning a profit and when you get to that level of wealth, 20 billion here or there is pocket change.  

• Like 3

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice