Add Emojis to In-Game Chat

Troo

Honestly I'm not keen on emoji but this isn't a bad suggestion, because to add emoji you would need to extend Unicode support into the chat which would open the full international character set as well (selfishly I would love to see this for character names too, but there's a whole can of worms there). That said, I would not want to be the one to try and implement it... all of the text in the game is based on CP-1252 encoding using simple C strings, which would be a nightmare to upgrade.

You could hack in a subsection of emoji using a special chat code and custom graphics, which would be easier but would still require a lot of custom ui work... I'm gonna guess we won't see anything like this any time soon.

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

My vote is a NO.  Resounding NO.  Do I need to use colorful metaphors for emphasis?

Emoji's have a place in this world - but not here.  It doesn't improve any game experience, nor does it improve any communications. 

I don't want to hear some crap about the devs limiting someone's options.  They don't have to provide this.

Do we need another reference to Weird Al's Word Crimes video?

Edited by Rishidian
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Troo said:

I was hoping for a discussion which would determine the viability of a suggestion.

You say that you want a discussion, but you ignored my question. Is "I say something and then ignore questions" your idea of "a discussion"?

I'll repeat the question in case you missed it: "But how, exactly HOW, does being able to make stupid smiley faces appear in my chat window improve your or my gaming experience?"

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

6 hours ago, Ukase said:

I think a better suggestion is to remove them entirely. No colons followed by a closing paren (is paren what you call one of them?) No odd < or O/. 
We are mostly civilized people blessed to have language and the written word. Let's use full words, complete sentences and try to cut back on a lot of these abbreviations, too!

IKR

18 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

But how, exactly HOW, does being able to make stupid smiley faces appear in my chat window improve your or my gaming experience?

I'm not sure what would help your chat window. Did you want to share what would help your chat window?

I was thinking more something like these image.png.46160952c853b788b1c7184ded0af168.png used to 'tag' what someone wrote. Not necessarily as a chat itself.

• Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 minute ago, Troo said:

I'm not sure what would help your chat window. Did you want to share what would help your chat window?

I was thinking more something like these image.png.46160952c853b788b1c7184ded0af168.png used to 'tag' what someone wrote. Not necessarily as a chat itself.

1) I wasn't talking about "improving my chat window". I asked how having emoji's available would improve "gaming experience."

2) I don't think that was your original suggestion. However, since you've now blanked your OP, I can't confirm that.

3) I think that your new suggestion would be a waste of dev time. Chat scrolls past and then no one sees it again. Who's even going to see if you or I added a 😄 to someone's comment?

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

2 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I don't think that was your original suggestion. However, since you've now blanked your OP, I can't confirm that.

The original post is still there, same as it has been. There were no words in it..

We'll put you down as a no. Thank you for you input.

• Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

19 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Look, I'm all for improving things. But how, exactly HOW, does being able to make stupid smiley faces appear in my chat window improve your or my gaming experience?

There is an image-sharing website I frequent where people post image sets; the 'index' pages have the title the poster selected for the set. There are two regular posters who, in what seems to be a deathly fear that their posts will languish for lack of attention if they don't, virtually always put one or two bright red heart emoji (❤️) into the text of their title, creating a jarring break in the flow of the pages. Other posters use emoji as well, but use the monochrome emoji (♥★) that don't leap out and drag your attention away from what you want to read. Emoji in chat is going to be similarly distracting; I don't want to have someone else's  self-aggrandizement pulling my attention away from my playing the game. So unless it's implemented with an option flag like "Show emoji in chat" that's disabled by default, my choice would be NWIFH.

• Thanks 1

Wait, @Troo . . . 

In https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/24492-add-emojis-to-in-game-chat/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-298968 are you suggesting that you were originally trying to ask about the implementation of a Reputation System in-game?  

Like, for character costumes and/or biographies?  Or for Builds?

Because we already have the star rating system for AE, so it's not without precedent, sure.

If so, then I'd still hazard against doing it with emoticons/emojis, which are much more subjective than a 5-star rating system.

I mean, just look at the Rep system we have here in the forums, and how divisive some of the options are here.  People have -very- different opinions on what the "Confused" Rep is even meant to be used for.  When something detracts from clear communication, it becomes more of a burden than an effective tool.

Looks like this won't be making it to Suggestions.

Thanks all for the input.

dumbgoff.gif.9555c3906befca67df3e02d0878f65de.gif

Not a fan either, I'm sorry!

The chat system in City of Heroes/Villains is literal perfection. I don't think there is a single thing that could be done better, I'm not blind to the games flaws but the chat system even destroys the vast majority of modern MMO's or any other chat system there is. It was way ahead of it's time, perfectly simplistic but with all the essentials needed and an absolutely fantastic consideration for Roleplayers, the chat system alone made the game great. I mean SWTOR doesn't even have chat bubbles, let alone customizable chat bubbles and a quasi-typing indicator.

At a stretch, adding emoji's as an option? Maybe? I'm more biased to leaving it absolutely untouched.

Edited by Latex