Could use some help

Fastchicken1st

Listen I love city of heroes and I  play it almost everyday mostly I am glad its back and its getting updates. I am new player I  joined during 2020 when I first played the game I was excited creating my first character I chose a healer role and a corrupter I was noob when first chooses my powers I  did not know you had to choose the right ability's with good survivability. At first leveling up to 1 to 10 was easy even getting to 10 to 20 was very easy but when I hit lvl 28 the game started to take a harsh turn. Now ever mission I started I was fighting 2  elite  bosses that were tearing my health apart in 3 seconds I would have to ask for help each time it was like I could never solo a single mission as a healer I had to leave a mission just because I had to fight 4 bosses with op attacks or ask for help. Some times people on city of villains are not going to be able to help you all time. I wish I could solo missions like before but now its just impossible I  have bought enhancements  increase my damage but I still get wiped with the floor. Is there any upgrades power ups pets anything I could use to help solo as healer with out burning half of my cash on enhancements. I would delete my character and choose the right powers but I have to much money and rare items and progress to just start over. It takes hours of gridding to lvl up to a new lvl. I am lvl 30 now and I am still getting thrown around please help me out here what do I need to help me improve,

My username in city of villains is Crimsongas1st.

Screenshot (61).png

20 minutes ago, Apogee said:

Some things that would help to know:

1. What are your Primary and Secondary?

2. What powers have you chosen so far?

3. What server are you on?

I am on the sever named indomidablte don't know if I spelled that right. My primary is energy powers and my secondary is pain nulify. I have just chosen an new power have no clue what it is its like a defense power think you could help me out. I also heard mind control is a good power to use to.

You're not going to get magical solutions just from picking a new power. The good news is that leveling is easy thanks to the double XP, and you probably have quite a few merits to your name (check my signature, and if you're new read the guide fully).

I have never played energy and pain domination so I don't have much offer to help there, but being your very first character I'd suggest trying a melee class next since they are much easier to get started and sturdier out of the box.

Next I suggest you grab this program so you can import builds from the forums.

If you want to draw up a new toon, you can pass along the money by emailing yourself, and pass along items using an SGbase for storage.

Or maybe just run on teams for awhile. There’s no rule that says you must solo the game. Beyond that, if you really do have that much $$ and boss fights are the issue, maybe purchase large inspirations on the market, then gobble them up as you fight. 

Or...autocomplete the end boss mishes and move on to the next arc. I had my arse handed to me so many times by Calvin Scott I started doing that as a matter of course for some of my squishies.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Cash it not hard to come by.  I use the merits tuirned into converters.  Rather than sell the converters I buy cheap level 25 common (yellow) recipes from AH that do not require rare salvage.  I craft those.  Then I convert them until I have something that sells for good money on the auction.  A little slow.  But a lot of money.  There is a weird drop down menu on the enhancement converter upper right that lets you change the type you are converting  to.  Clunky, but profitable.

1 Read the description of your new power carefully so you feel clear that you know what it does.

2 Buy some new enhancements, what's the point in hoarding all that influence? Spend it!

3 You can adjust the level of your missions down to -1 to make them easier.

4 Select a different mission, defeat random enemies or join a team until you have levelled up and then go back to that tricky mission.  By being one level higher it will make a significant difference.

5 Don't give up!

4 hours ago, Sovera said:

You're not going to get magical solutions just from picking a new power. The good news is that leveling is easy thanks to the double XP, and you probably have quite a few merits to your name (check my signature, and if you're new read the guide fully).

I have never played energy and pain domination so I don't have much offer to help there, but being your very first character I'd suggest trying a melee class next since they are much easier to get started and sturdier out of the box.

Next I suggest you grab this program so you can import builds from the forums.

THANK YOU

In the bottom left of your screen (unless you moved it yourself) there's the chat window.  To the right of where you type is a little word-balloon-looking thingie called "quick chat."  Clicking that will expand a menu of emotes...and at the bottom is "set notoriety."  The arrow to the right of that allows you to change the difficulty -- you can make ity so you don't face elite bosses most of the time (there are a few exceptional missions).  Use that to move your difficulty settings up and down until you arrive at something comfortable,

A few things, some of which have been touched on -

1. If someone told you you have to play on high settings, they're wrong. You don't have to be fighting EBs/AVs all the time or at jacked up levels. Do what Sailboat said. Play at the level you're *comfortable* at. When it starts feeling too easy, then turn it up.

2. You don't have to delete and reroll if you make a mistake. If you're level 30, you have at least three respecs just waiting for you.  You cannot change your archetype, origin or power sets, but you *can* change the powers you picked within them as well as your pool powers. Use them by going somewhere safe and typing in /respec. (You can always back out.) You'll be able to repick and reslot your powers, then re-add enhancements. (Don't forget to put any you don't use but still want in your tray or, as it warns, they will be deleted.)

3. Get those enhancements up to date. Or just craft a bunch of your most common (acc, dam, end reduction, healing, recharge) as level 30 common IOs and slot them, worrying about sets later once you've got a better feel for what's up in the game under you. Nothing wrong with that. Sell the SOs that drop afterward.

4. You may or may not want to do this, but you *also* have alternate builds you can use. You can create a "Solo" and a "Team" build (which I also do frequently on empathy/pain dom type characters that aren't masterminds.) Things that heal or buff others that you can't use on yourself? Drop them on the solo build and use the slots and power picks to up your offense and/or defense. About to join a team? Switch builds - either at a trainer or there is a command (I want to say it's /selectbuild, someone will probably correct me)  you can use to change it on the fly. Your powers *will* go into recharge when you do, but for the most part - do it on the way to joining a TF or team and most of your stuff should be ready to go when the team is, in most instances.

• Like 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

And in addition to the advice above remember you've got a thousand slots (on just that server alone).  Instead of deletion just set a character aside for a bit and create a second (third, fourth, etc.) character.  You'll continue to learn and some of that knowledge will shed light on how to make the previous characters better for you and pick them up again when desired.  Perhaps setting them aside until an opportunity to team comes along and in the meantime play another more solo capable AT while waiting for that teaming opportunity. 

PS @Greycat If I remember right you need a 1 or 2 there as in /selectbuild 1 or /selectbuild 2.  And if I dont remember right we'll both learn something when someone else illuminates the mystery.