Lightning Rod is Amazing!

Herotu

Lightning Rod is such a fun power, and I enjoyed playing it so much, that when I was looking to make an alt, I was looking for another powerset that had something similar.

Nothing!

Well... Energy Melee's Energy Transfer has the right name, and the right tier... /shrug

Is that subtle enough? 

I suggest Energy Transfer be made into a teleport AoE like Lightning Rod - I mean ... well ... what is Energy Melee's USP? I'm not seeing anything but pompoms. It's like Star Trek in here! Save me, Kirk!
ST_TroubleWithTribbles.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

32 minutes ago, Herotu said:

Lightning Rod is such a fun power, and I enjoyed playing it so much, that when I was looking to make an alt, I was looking for another powerset that had something similar.

Nothing!

Well... Energy Melee's Energy Transfer has the right name, and the right tier... /shrug

Is that subtle enough? 

I suggest Energy Transfer be made into a teleport AoE like Lightning Rod - I mean ... well ... what is Energy Melee's USP? I'm not seeing anything but pompoms. It's like Star Trek in here! Save me, Kirk!
ST_TroubleWithTribbles.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Lightning Rod is indeed amazing and similar powers would indeed be cool, but you sure are barking up the wrong tree if you think Energy Transfer is the power to sacrifice here 🙂

That said, I hope this isn’t too obvious... you have tried Shield Charge, right?

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

Lightning Rod is indeed amazing and similar powers would indeed be cool, but you sure are barking up the wrong tree if you think Energy Transfer is the power to sacrifice here 🙂

That said, I hope this isn’t too obvious... you have tried Shield Charge, right?

Also, Burst of Speed (Blaster: Martial Combat), and Feral Charge (Dom: Savage) and Savage Leap (Savage Melee)... all really cool.

Changing Tremor in one of the Earth Melee/Assault sets might be interesting... sink into the ground, pop up under the targets. Make it a limited range like 40' self Teleport, and people will be taking the set just to use that one power.

6 minutes ago, arcane said:

Shield isn't an Offensive Melee set (yet).

1 minute ago, Coyote said:

Also, Burst of Speed (Blaster: Martial Combat), and Feral Charge (Dom: Savage) and Savage Leap (Savage Melee)... all really cool.

Changing Tremor in one of the Earth Melee/Assault sets might be interesting... sink into the ground, pop up under the targets. Make it a limited range like 40' self Teleport, and people will be taking the set just to use that one power.

Ooh, I'll check them out. Thanks!

Edited by Herotu

Out of curiosity have you played lightning rod on a shield tanker?

If not, I would highly suggest that because LR + SC + TS is one of the most powerful AoE combos in the game.

Another cool AT interaction is shield stalker - so it has a great ST attack in AS - combine that with LR SC - doesnt break hide then AS and chain induction its a very powerful combo also.

1 hour ago, Infinitum said:

Spring Attack from the leaping pool is similar also - i use it on a couple of toons.

Is Spring Attack still bugged so it doesn't properly take buffs like Fulcrum Shift? I think that used to be its problem some time ago... I don't recall for sure, just that there was some major problem with improving the damage on it. Buffs? Procs didn't work in it? I don't recall which, but I don't recall seeing anything about a fix to it in Patch notes.

4 minutes ago, Coyote said:

Is Spring Attack still bugged so it doesn't properly take buffs like Fulcrum Shift? I think that used to be its problem some time ago... I don't recall for sure, just that there was some major problem with improving the damage on it. Buffs? Procs didn't work in it? I don't recall which, but I don't recall seeing anything about a fix to it in Patch notes.

Yeah, not sure about that one.  Honestly I didn't know about that issue.

1 hour ago, Infinitum said:

Out of curiosity have you played lightning rod on a shield tanker?

I loved it so much, I'm reluctant to play it now. It's level 48, and I don't want it's journey to be over.

SO I might remake it on another server!

23 minutes ago, AerialAssault said:

Savage Melee also has a teleport attack as it's T9 power, Savage Leap. 

It does, but it's definitely not the same (LR hits "harder" and overall feels more powerful). That said, I think this suggestion is a bit frivolous...

Sorry but gotta /jranger this.

2 hours ago, Infinitum said:

Spring Attack from the leaping pool is similar also - i use it on a couple of toons.

I've got an Elec/Shield Scrapper that has Spring Attack... although it's the same concept, it's nowhere near as good as Lightning Rod/Shield Charge in terms of damage/recharge.

• Like 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

1 hour ago, Zeraphia said:

It does, but it's definitely not the same (LR hits "harder" and overall feels more powerful). That said, I think this suggestion is a bit frivolous...

Sorry but gotta /jranger this.

So be it! That just means I make more electric toons and energy (for me) remains in the bin. :)

No to screwing over Energy Transfer. I want to be nice about it but no way.

Also as for the later suggestion about changing Tremor in Earth Melee, no thanks, it's actually amazing as is on a tank. It's essentially foot stomp but with stones and a bit less damage.

I do like lightning rod and shield charge, but maybe the solution is to just beef up Spring Attack? Then any character could take it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Solarverse said:

They were going to do the same thing with Dark Consumption. Sadly that fell through, I was actually looking forward to it.

There seems to have been a lot of confusion about this.  Dark Consumption was never going to be a teleport attack.  It was going to be a PBAoE with damage similar to Lightning Rod -- that was the comparison they were making -- but not a teleport attack.

4 hours ago, aethereal said:

There seems to have been a lot of confusion about this.  Dark Consumption was never going to be a teleport attack.  It was going to be a PBAoE with damage similar to Lightning Rod -- that was the comparison they were making -- but not a teleport attack.

Hmmm, could have sworn I read that it was going to be a teleport.

There's about three other powers in this game that do what lightning rod does (to varying extents):

• Shield Charge from Shield Defense (as you can imagine, this led to a lot of electric/shield characters)
  • Savage charge from Savage melee (works like a targeted AoE so you don't need to click the ground)
  • Spring attack from the Leaping power pool (this can result in some builds going for electric/shield/leaping to launch an onslaught of teleport attacks)

10 hours ago, aethereal said:

Yup, you're right. I had to search a bit to find the patch notes that confused people and they can be found here. In short, what it says is that they were trying to give it damage that is comparable to Lightening Rod, not that they were turning it in to a teleport. Thanks for the clarification. Info can be found below.

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2021 at 1:53 AM, arcane said:

Lightning Rod is indeed amazing

Is it though? I mean..it LOOKS amazing, no doubt.

On a brute the damage is very good (but not amazing).

On a scrapper I assume the crits are awesome, depending how often it does crit.

On a tank I am sure the extra aoe targets hit would be very good..but you get tank damage.

On a stalker it cant crit (or couldnt, I tried in back on Live), which is saad. Best thing is you keep Hide status.

The recharge is..honestly..for what it does, pretty shit. Sure, IOs and destiny and all that jazz, but as is? Being able to only use your tier9 every minute? When other melee sets can say..chain two aoes together for similar damage, in less than half the time?

It is pretty on par with shield charge (although SC also has the idiodic mechanic of the SHielf set WANTING you in melee, for AAO. I am not sure if the damage buff will fade before SC hits). But compared to Savage Leap..well..not so much.

Savage leap is simply AMAZING when slotted and proc'd out (and shitful otherwise, besides the recharge). Sure, you could proc out SC and LR, but those powers want max damage enhancements too. SL doesnt really need it. This all comes back to the way procs work which may be getting looked at?